It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

It certainly sounds like a liberal is getting his<br />whatever floats your boat rights trampled on.<br />When a government tries to stop his perceived<br />legal right to starve his abandoned wife to death<br />with no living will or written direction for<br />care. You guys are the ones that are brain dead.

gaugeguy

Captain

This is from the Wall Street Journal...<br /><br />"Who's paying for her care?<br />Schiavo resides at a nonprofit hospice that has assumed part of the cost of her care. Medicaid pays for the rest. According to this AP story, keeping her alive costs about $80,000 per year, and at least $350,000 of the malpractice settlement awarded to Schiavo and her husband in 1992 has been spent on her care. Florida Medicaid normally offers hospice coverage for those with a life expectancy of no more than six months, but Schiavo has received assistance from the state for the last two years."<br /><br />WE are paying for her to stay on the feeding tube.

NOSLEEP

Commander

O YA... IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Oh yeah... <br /><br />What qualifies as not living a good enough life to keep a human around?<br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Can't feed yourself<br />
  • Have to live on liquids<br />
  • Can't go to the bathroom without help<br />
  • Can't communicate with the people around you<br />
  • Cannot SURVIVE without someone providing nutrients and food.<br />
  • Cannot get anywhere without someone moving them.<br />
<br /><br />Sounds like we should eliminate all the 2 month old babies there...<br /><br />Sean
Yeah, you're right that was kind of Troll-like wasn't it...
39.gif
40.gif
<br /><br />Sorry bout that guys -- it's been a rough month. <br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This reminds me of a buddy in High School. He was hit by a car walking to someones house.<br /><br />The rest of his "life" was spent on a bed at home with a feeding tube. He couldnt talk, or control any muscles. He could squeeze a hand to communicate, but you never were sure. His family told me he communicated a few times that he was sad. There was no life left in him, just a vegtable.<br /><br />He eventually died after a few years like this. I was glad to hear his pain had finally stopped.<br /><br />What kind of life is it to live like that?<br /><br />I say, before anyone can pass judegement on this woman, they have to spend 24 hours with her.<br /><br />Ken

Ralph 123

Captain

Do we really want to get to the point as a society where we round up all the brain damaged and infirm and starve them to death because it's too expensive to keep them alive or because we think they have a poor quality of life? Who decides who lives and who dies?<br /><br />This was tried once back in the 30s and 40s. It turned out to be a real disaster. All of a sudden, if you were say, Jewish, you life wasn't worth living.<br /><br />Can anyone help me understand why it is "humane" to starve a person to death, but "inhumane" to make it quick and painless via an injection? If they think she's dead already, why not guarantee it is quick and painless with the help of a doctor? <br /><br />If you're interested in this case, read more:<br /><br /> http://www.terrisfight.net/

rogerwa

Commander

I am just disappointed and disheartened by the responses to this tragedy. This is not politically motivated. The only ones making it political is the Dems and PW2 of course. <br /><br />This whole process has not been done in the open. Evaluators or her condition have been refused. Any kind of therapy has been refused. The parents have been forbidden. Even tapes of her in her condition have been fought very hard against being exposed. Testimony to the contrary of her husbands claims of her wishes has been suppressed (based on false assumptions).<br /><br />This woman needs food to survive and her other functions are working. A quadrapalegic (sp?) needs assitiance in feeding and transport. If it were a repirator and other machines 'making' her body work, there is certainly a time to disconnect those and let her sink or swim. Nutrition is not something that should be withheld.<br /><br />The government is allowing for this womans case to be reviewed. That is all. The current judge in charge of her case has , in my opinion, not been the unbiased guardian of Terri that he has appointed himself to be. He has clearly indicated his bias in this case and has shut off all avenues.<br /><br />Those of you with an open mind, if you read the facts and forget that George Bush had some hand in this action, should come to see that it is the right thing to do. Should we not at least give life a chance and be sure before we starve this woman to death? Or should we let a husband with dubious motivations and an activist judge wield all the power. If that how you people on the left want it, then thank GOD GW won the election.

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by Ralph:<br />[QB] Do we really want to get to the point as a society where we round up all the brain damaged and infirm and starve them to death because it's too expensive to keep them alive or because we think they have a poor quality of life? Who decides who lives and who dies?<br /><br /><br />"Come on Ralph," your going to an extreme!!! Way out of context!!!! A defense lawyer would make that quote!!!<br /><br />If you said,lets round up all sexuall predators and pedos' and starve them, then that would be a true quote and then I'd agree with your statement!!!! ;) :cool:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Dr. Jack Kevorkian is wrongfully in prison, and could have provided dignity to this young lady way back.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

This vote is very political.<br />Do you really believe that any of the senators and congressmen could care less about this woman living or dying?<br />The only reason why this thing made it up to these places is because it is a tear jerker that can provide some votes for our "principled" representatives.If it would not have been politically profitable they would have made sure that it would never have reached this high up.

Fly Rod

Commander

self edit!!!

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Dr. Jack Kevorkian is wrongfully in prison, and could have provided dignity to this young lady way back.
Or ya could become a resident of Utah!!!! ;) :cool:

Ralph 123

Captain

Don't you be calling me dirty names FR ;) <br /><br />Seriously, it's a slippery slope... Just look at history.<br /><br />I went through something similar as your friends and made the same decision. It is a very different situation to this case IMHO.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Like I said before....repubs are trying to CHANGE THE LAW to fit what they want. Why can't we just let current law preside? This is not the first time someone has had their feeding tube removed and I'll be willing to bet it won't be the last. I didn't hear any law makers getting upset then, why now? <br /><br />Because people are watching.....

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Nice to see that you are back once again "Ralph"!!!!!! :cool: <br /><br />Hope ya stick around!!! Enjoy your post and am sure others have also!!! ;) :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mrbscott makes a good point.<br />What happened to all the other one's that the tubes have been removed and there are thousands?<br /><br />You never hear about them and no, this ain't about the parents or the husband, it's because it's in the news and the lawmakers see a chance of making a big splash in the upcoming elections.<br /><br />If not, you would not hear anything much of this and the courts would handle it just like they do with other life and death cases, to the best of their ability.

Ralph 123

Captain

It's in the news SBN because the parents were smart enough to video tape her. People started looking into the case and a lot of them said WTF?!<br /><br />Look at Dr Stephen Hawking. Imagine what people would say about his condition if he wasn't able to communicate with those wonderful machines?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't have enough unbiased information about her medical situation to have formed an opinion one way or the other regarding the decision as to whether she should be kept alive or allowed to die. <br /><br />But I do have a strong opinion that if the latter, it should be by humane euthanasia rather than cutting off food and water and allowing her to die of dehydration over the course of several days. My understanding is that starvation is not an issue, that the human body can go MUCH longer without food than without water.<br /><br />And if the latter, I hope that the family opts for organ donation; perhaps they may find some peace in her death if it allows others to live full and productive lives. And to preempt any questions, the organ donation issue should ABSOLUTELY NOT be part of the original decision as to whether or not it's time to let her go.

SoulWinner

Commander

Well folks, we have generously been granted some wisdom and moral insight from a progressive, enlightened, progenitor of political correctness and tolerant inclusion; yes a proud constituent of John Kerry and Ted Kennedy from the great Peoples Republic of Massachusetstan. What a laugh!<br /><br />I'm not lashing out at anybody, but he basically states, "Hey, the relationship between a husband and wife is sacred and what are the parents getting involved here for? Much less our elected representatives!" Well, you could say that the parents are not intruding or infringing on any relationship between husband and wife. What they're trying to do is save their daughter's life. What's wrong with that? You know, barring any evidence at all beyond the husband's representations -- I mean, he's got a girlfriend now and a few kids with her. Why shouldn't the parent fight for the life of their child? And this is another thing. <br /><br />FR, among others say, "Why is Congress getting involved in this? What's Congress got to do with this? It's a local case. It's an individual case." Can I take you back to our founding documents and particularly the Declaration of Independence? We are all "endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights. The right to life (clearing throat), liberty, pursuit of happiness." You could make the argument that it certainly is a charge of government to defend and protect life, given that this forms one of the building blocks of the foundation of our country, and I find it fascinating here. I've studied this. I've been watching this particularly intensely today as interests outside of the Schiavo family and the Schindler family get involved in this, and I am sorry to say this, but I can't find a liberal Democrat anywhere who's standing up for this woman's right to live (at least not ones who's motives aren't suspect, an opinion I base soley on thier past voting records and their stance in general to the sanctity of human life versus that of a spotted owl or snail darter.). Call me a hayseed or a rube, but it seems to me that it's Republicans that are doing what they can to protect this woman's life and that takes me back to another case involving the federal government and Florida, and that's Elian Gonzales. This case reminds me -- and just in terms of the sides drawn here in the courts, you know, who is opposing who, who believes what -- of the Gonzales case. <br /> I mean, the issues are completely different but the sides are the same. Some of us in this country instinctively defend life and liberty. The other side doesn't. When it came to the liberty of Elian Gonzales, Janet Reno and the Clinton administration sided with who? Fidel Castro and ignored the wishes of the mother and brought some guy up they said was his father and shipped him back down to this little gulag called Cuba, where we just learned that home makers are going to be given by the state rice cookers, even though there's a rice shortage because of a drought and there's no electricity to use the rice cookers. And we know that the rice cookers were given not to feed people but because there was a black market being developed in rice cookers and the state in Cuba cannot handle the black market entrepreneurism (which raises the obvious question,: Why are Liberal democrats indistinguishable from Cuban communist dicators? Hmmmmmmm....). So they'd send a little boy off to tyranny; they would end this woman's life with apparently no compunction. It's just interesting to see the sides, and the battle lines drawn here, and it's amazing to me who you can always find standing up for life and liberty, and it just happens to be conservatives and Republicans that do it. I mean, if I'm wrong, if somebody can show me where the Democrats in Washington, the Democrats anywhere, are speaking up about this, I'll be glad to correct myself(the pitiable few Dems who voted "yea" last night notwithstanding).

LubeDude

Admiral

If she was brain dead as "they" would like us to believe:<br /><br />If she was in a coma, which "they" would like us to believe:<br /><br />If she was not responsive, which "they" would like us to believe.<br /><br />If there were no chance of any kind of recovery, which "they" would like you to believe.<br /><br />"They" being the Party of death.<br /><br />You people that want her to die have fallen into the trap "They" want you to believe.<br /><br />The scum bag husband, who has not been a husband to her for 10 years and has a life with another woman and has kids with her also who will not devorce her because of the money will not even let the family take her anywhere. The family wants to take her home and take care of her. The Husband will not even let any physical therapy take place and some doctors say she would benifit by it. He should turn it all over to the familly and walk away. If I were the family I would start a lawsuit for his neglect if it were posible. When the husband was trying to get money, he said that he would do everything in his power to give her the best posible care, then when the money came he stopped everything that may help her. Now he wants to starve her to death. Real sweet guy!