It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

I can suggest an EXCELLENT book for everyone who likes to read and has had interest in this argument (it has no political or religious bend). It won't provide definitive evidence for either side on this debate. This book, written by two predominant neurologists (husband and wife), uses extensive scientific research and shows how little even the "best" neurologists understand about the human brain. The Book is "Descartes Error" by Antonio Damasio. Probably available in your local library, Amazon, bookstore, etc. If you like to read, you'll enjoy and gain perspective from this book.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE:<br /> Authorities said a North Carolina man was arrested Friday by FBI agents on charges of soliciting the murder of a judge and the husband of Terri Schiavo, the severely brain-damaged woman at the center of a legal and moral tug of war.<br /><br />Authorities said Richard Alan Meywes of Fairview, North Carolina, offered $250,000 for the killing of Michael Schiavo and another $50,000 for the death of Circuit Court Judge George Greer, who ordered Schiavo's feeding tube removed a week ago.<br /><br />Meywes was arrested without incident at his home about 5 p.m. on charges of solicitation of murder and sending threatening communications, authorities said.<br /><br />He is expected to make an initial appearance Monday in U.S. District Court in Asheville. He will remain in the custody of U.S. marshals until then, authorities said.<br /><br />A conviction on the charges could bring up to 15 years in prison and up to $500,000 in fines.<br /><br />The charges were announced by the two lead prosecutors on the case: Paul Perez, U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Florida; and Gretchen Shappert, U.S. attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.<br /><br />An affidavit filed in support of the charges alleges that Meywes wrote an e-mail Tuesday that said a "bounty with a price tag of $250,000 has been taken out on the head of Michael Schiavo." It also alleges he said an "additional $50,000 has been offered for the elimination of the judge who ruled against Terry in Florida," an apparent reference to Terri Schiavo.<br /><br />The affidavit also says the same e-mail refers to the recent killings of a judge in Atlanta and family members of a federal judge in Chicago.<br /><br />Greer, a Pinellas County circuit judge, has been under the protection of two U.S. marshals at all times in recent weeks due to increased threats against his life by those unhappy with his handling of the Schiavo case.<br /><br />"Mr. Meywes' use of the Internet to convey threats and solicit violent acts is a clear violation of federal law," Perez said in a written statement.<br /><br />"Regardless of any one person's stance on the complex and heartfelt issues involved in Ms. Schiavo's case, the matter must be resolved within the bounds of our democratic system and rule of law," the statement read. "The use of threats and other scare tactics cannot and will not be tolerated."<br /><br />Shappert said, "Threats made in interstate commerce will not be ignored by federal law enforcement."<br /><br />Authorities said the case was a joint investigation by the FBI's Tampa and Charlotte offices, and the Sheriff's Department of Pinellas County, Florida

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a living will, but I've discussed my wishes with my wife. It's the sort of topic of late-night conversations in bed after the kids go to sleep. It usually goes along with the topic of re-marriage if something should happen to either of you. <br /><br />What's my point?<br /><br />This is the type of conversation between a HUSBAND AND WIFE, it's not the type of conversation between mother and daughter. Neither mother nor daughter want to talk about the other's death. <br /><br />IF it is indeed true, it does not/would not surprise me in the least that Terri Shaivo expressed her wishes to her husband, but NOT to her mother or family. It's the topic of late-nights in bed, NOT the topic of afternoon shopping sprees. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if she ever DID express such wishes to her parents. I know I never have.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> This is the type of conversation between a HUSBAND AND WIFE,
Except when something like this comes up (Shiavo case) I defy you to show me how many thirty year olds have pillow talk conversations about life after injury or disease. Thirty year olds are invincible. I have no doubt that Michael Shiavo's first statements about not knowing his wife's desires, was the truth of the matter.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Report from Terry Schaivo's brother who visited her last night. Quote "She looks like one of the people in the pictures from the Nazi German concentration camps." Oh yeah, that sounds like a "graceful way to end your life" BS. I can't believe they're going to kill this woman. <br /><br /> :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <br /><br />Has anyone considered the fact that she is Catholic? And that they are forcing her to commit suicide? Last I heard, that is a sin in the Catholic Religion. So, she wont get her last rights read thus she won't go to heaven. That would mean they are going against her religion, and thus, against her beliefs... thus -- against what she wants to do.<br /><br />Sean
The last news article I saw regarding this, on Saturday, was that Terry had received last rights, or at least a priest outside had adminstered them on her behalf. As for forced suicide, this is not at her own hand so I don't think it could be considered suicide at all. Instead it would be considered by God to be murder. I have questioned a pastor regarding suicide in the past after a close friend killed himself, so I am semi-educated by the clergy regarding this issue.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Hmm... lets see. <br /><br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Testimony from nurses who worked with Terri who overheard Michael say "I wish that b*tch would die"<br />
  • being elated when she took a turn for the worse<br />
  • Upset if anything positive happened to her<br />
  • Refusal by Michael to even let the nurses clean the palms of Terri's hands because the muscles had contracted so much that her nails were digging into her flesh<br />
  • Next to ZERO proof that she wanted to "Die." An off-handed comment while watching a television show somehow doesn't work for me..<br />
  • the fact that he has a FIANCE and two CHILDREN with that FIANCE OUT OF WEDLOCK. --- Thats some serioius dedication to his wife there!<br />
<br /><br /><br />Sean
I am a christian man, I am married. With that said, I challenge you Sean to be celibate for 15 years. Especially knowing that your wife will never be your wife again. She will only be the living being you married, not the loving caring companion you fell in love with. I am not saying it is right to have an affair or cheat on your spouse. I am just trying to point out that maybe you should cut the you-know-what some slack in a couple areas. I seriously doubt the truthfulness of his assertions of her wanting to die. I believe that he as selfish motive to lie. But I can also sympathize with some aspects of being human.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey Boomyal,<br /><br />That's one of the best trolls I've seen in a long time.... You almost get a perfect score!<br /><br />10/10 for setting up the situation so well.<br />10/10 for not becoming involved once you'd 'set the bait'.<br />10/10 for more than 100 replies.<br />BUT, only 5/10 for the subject matter. Too contentious, should have been more innocuos.<br /><br />That's a total of 35/40 (87.5%). As I said, best I've seen in a long time!<br /><br />Chris..............

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> I defy you to show me how many thirty year olds have pillow talk conversations about life after injury or disease. Thirty year olds are invincible.
Let me get this straight, because I can't possibly believe the anyone would have the arguement and position that it SOUNDS like you have. Are you saying that thirty-year-old couples do NOT have pillow talk about life after death or injury?<br /><br />That's so absurd, I don't know how to counter-argue except to turn it back around. I defy YOU to show me any woman that does NOT ask the dreaded question "If I died, would you remarry?" within the first year of marriage, or even while dating. Women are insecure and inquisitive.<br /><br />The subject will often (but not guarenteed) also involve discussion of long-term disability care and wishes. It almost always starts with the topic of remarriage if one or the other dies. But a daughter will never ask her mother "Will you have another daughter if I died?", so the topic of long-term care never arises with her parents.<br /><br />My whole point is that almost EVERY newlywed has this conversation, but very few have such conversations with their parents. It would not be surprising at all if Michael Shaivo knows his wife's final wishes, but her mother does not.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by achris:<br /> Hey Boomyal,<br /><br />That's one of the best trolls I've seen in a long time.... You almost get a perfect score!<br /><br />10/10 for setting up the situation so well.<br />10/10 for not becoming involved once you'd 'set the bait'.<br />10/10 for more than 100 replies.<br />BUT, only 5/10 for the subject matter. Too contentious, should have been more innocuos.<br /><br />That's a total of 35/40 (87.5%). As I said, best I've seen in a long time!<br /><br />Chris..............
Did kind of take on a life of it's own, didn't it Chris! :D <br /><br />BTW, you've sure been lurkin in the shadows. Divin' in and nipping at the edges. What ya up to. Find a new friend yet?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi Boomyal,<br /><br />Yep, got a new gal. She's Russian, lives in Kamchatka and will be here next week, for a 3 week visit. I was over there in February and had a great time, skiing and whatnot. When she's here I'll be showing her all the best of Australia, diving, fishing, camping and hopefully she'll want to come back later and stay.<br /><br />Chris.....

D

DJ

Michael Shaivo has his heels so far dug in, in this case, he can't possibly change his mind and save face.<br /><br />He had the opportunity of a divorce, he refused.<br /><br />Her parents are flipping the bill, for her care.<br /><br />This guy is a gold digger and is looking for the cash, not to mention some cheap thrill by seeing her suffer. What a creep.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"Her parents are flipping the bill, for her care."<br /><br />Negative, Fleet Admiral.. <edit<br /><br /> Since all the $$$ from the malpractice judgement/trust fund has been used up, Medicade is "flipping the bill" to the tune of about $80,000 a year...

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Snapperbait is right on about medicade!!! We the tax paper are footing the bill and we are paying for all 20+ appeals that the parents tried to over turn the 1st ruling!!!!<br /><br />Futher more the husband has requested an autopsy upon her death and to make the findings public!!!!! <br /><br />And lets be realistic, if you or I had a wife in a vegetative state that long, we'd have a girl friend, it's only natral!!! ;) :cool:

ebbtide176

Commander

dang - so if the guy is that P.O.'d, you'd think he'd quit wishing her a painful death by now?<br /><br />i think yes - if she was a painful, humiliating wife, he might be on the long track for making the death last as long as possible, but how many people would do that? i guess, but can't imagine.<br /><br />he's got another life, it would seem since the money's gone, he's just trying to be efficient...<br />dunno. but we sure got better things to deal with, than 1 person's life support... JMHO

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has it been mentioned that over 500k of the malpractice settlement money has gone to George Felos, the attorney for Michael Schiavo?