It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
After attempting to kill a Congressional attempt to allow the Federal Courts to review the Shiavo case, it appears the the Democrats are going down in flame. The House is voting as I type and if it weren't for Barney Weiner, the Federal intervention would have passed with a voice vote. <br /><br />Kind of sick that the Democrats have become the party of death. Death to the unborn, death to the near born, death with assistance and now death by decree. This all for a defenseless woman who lives without any intervention besides food from a tube.<br /><br />Brings to mind a real big inconsistancy. Life for those that commit heinous crimes. Hmmmm? I guess that's what they mean by choice. Their choice.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: It looks like the party of 'choice' is losing again!

The House passes a bill enabling a federal court to review whether Terri Schiavo should be kept alive via a feeding tube.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya know, this is a touchy one, normally I would say its first up to the victim, then the husband, then the familly, but this guy is a scum bag and he doesnt even want the familly to take her anywhere. I think he is afraid she may be able to communicate with fisical therapy, she is far fron a vegitative state.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It aint like Terri is on life-support or anything. The way they want to kill her is torture. A slow, agonizing death by starvation and dehydration! IMHO, that is sick.<br />There is a special place in hell for those who can concieve and carry-out such barbarism in the name of "mercy"!

PW2

Commander

I just love the way repubs spin this.<br /><br />They want the government out of our lives...<br />except on issues of life, death, and sex.<br /><br />Hmmm...what else is there???

Fly Rod

Commander

1st: I'm glad I'm an "Independent Voter"!!!<br />One thing for sure is I will not be voting for a republican in the next election<br /><br />2nd: Congress is completly wrong for interfering with the case of Terri Shiavo!!! They have over stepped their bounds!!!<br /><br />3rd:The biggest mistake that I see made by Mike & Terri was they had no "Living Will", to state that once either lost their "Quality of Life" they did not want to be kept alive!!!<br /><br />4th: Let this "Fiasco" be a lesson to those of us that do not want to be kept alive beyond our quality of life, or any artificial means!!! Get yourself a "LIVING WILL"!!!!!! <br /><br />The wife and I both have "Living Wills" and have had them for the last ten years!!! It is time for her and I to up date and I am going to add the phase: "Who ever wants to interfare with my wishes, shall assume all legal and medical cost". that should keep the "Do Gooders Away"!!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

For crying out loud, let the woman die. ALL the doctors say she is brain dead. She doesn't even have the natural swallow reflex. That's why she has feeding tubes. If they were not trying to keep her alive artificially, she would be dead.<br /><br />This woman is not coming back. Its wishful thinking on her parents part. <br /><br />And don't forget this woman has been bed ridden for 15 years! That is pure hell. The bed sores, the withering muscles and organs, constant pain, no control over her bowels or bladder, unable to communicate.... That is a horror to live through. Her body is slowly failing. It will kill her eventually. It's just a matter of a week of suffering now or years of suffering and slow decay. <br /><br />Time to say "good bye".

Homerr

Commander

I agree with Mark42... It's time to let her go.<br /><br />What possible future does she have?<br /><br />I speak from experience here. I had a relative that slipped into a coma after a surgery. She stayed that way up until she died (many years)<br />It was horrifying to watch her die that way. Not to mention what the Mother and Father went through. It was a very slow death.<br /><br />If I was ever in a situation that there was no way I could recover.... pull the plug. Game over.<br /><br />I don't really like the idea of starvation. I think they could get it over by other means.<br /><br />And sadly... I must say... what about the financial situation with her? That must be costing someone a ton of money. That is the last thing I would want my family to burden. They don't need to go bankrupt watching me suffer to a slow death.<br /><br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

my best friend from childhood's father just died.. 15 years ago,,all down hill.. last five,,, well you's wouldn't let a dog suffer thru it..<br /><br />but you can an should put the dog to sleep.. <br /><br />but that poor sob suffered up to his last suckin' breath..

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel that in addition to the present living will you should be able to request an injection or whatever to put you down once you are declared functionally dead.why let them go in pain?they don't do that to murderers or animals. dave

gaugeguy

Captain

Who is paying to keep her alive?? Not the parents, the taxpayers are. I would bet an armload of cash that if the parents had to foot the entire bill, (I know this sounds cold-hearted)they would have pulled the plug long ago.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> I just love the way repubs spin this.<br /><br />They want the government out of our lives...<br />except on issues of life, death, and sex.<br /><br />Hmmm...what else is there???
Well if Terrie were some horned toad in a swamp down there in Florida, you libs would be demanding government action to declare the area a sanctuary, the toad indangered, and impose the harshest of penalties on any who would bring harm to it. You guys have no problem with government intervention for lower levels of life.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Who is paying to keep her alive?? Not the parents, the taxpayers are. I would bet an armload of cash that if the parents had to foot the entire bill, (I know this sounds cold-hearted)they would have pulled the plug long ago.
Bet that ain't far from the truth!

Fly Rod

Commander

The daughter(age 33), of very very good friends of mine, lost her life within the past 7 months in the state of Florida, suffered a anurisum and heart attack from a previous head enjury,was declared brain dead and put on a feeding tube!!!! After several days conferring with doctors, the decision to pull the feeding tube was made and removed!!! The young lady past away after 5 days!!!<br /><br />No congressional intervention, "Thank GOD" <br /><br />Why: The case was not sensationalized and I'm sure a few more have had the feeding tube removed before and after!!!!!

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok..Read this thread and wanted to post..but decided that I didn't have enough facts to post intelligently...did some reseach (why can't news reports just be factual and skip all the one-sided propaganda!?!?!) <br /><br />1. Medical expenses being paid for by medical mal-practice suite settlement...$700K + fund for her care. *One site states that it is down to $50K because hubby been spending it on legal fees*<br /><br />2. Conflicting statements about her responsiveness - some say she only responds to auto-response stimuli...others that she recognizes people etc. **This is the sticky part in my mind...if brain dead..then she dead...might was well build a robot and past a picture of her on it. If responsive and not suffering..then she has a chance of recovering.<br /><br />My personal opinion - we have more mercy on our pets than our elderly/dying. If a dog or cat was suffering and had no chance of recovering we give is a shot and allow the suffering to end. I don't know if this case is a money issue or a mercy issue...if it is to stop suffering...then don't starve her to death...if hubby doesn't want to foot the bill anymore and wants to move on then he should...let the parents take over the trust and more forward with her rehab.<br /><br />I have a living will - I do not want a machine to breath, eat, etc for me if I don't have the mental abilities to state otherwise.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

eeboater

Commander

IF you guys are OK with the federal courts putting an innocent woman to death. If there is a glimmer of a chance that I might be able to come back, even if I only had semi-mobility. <br /><br />AT LEAST I'M ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Why is everyone so against giving this woman a shot at life? So, you would like to die if you <br /><br /><br /> <br />At what point do we start standing up and say "No, it's not ok to euthanize HUMANS!!???"<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Oh yeah... <br /><br />What qualifies as not living a good enough life to keep a human around?<br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Can't feed yourself<br />
  • Have to live on liquids<br />
  • Can't go to the bathroom without help<br />
  • Can't communicate with the people around you<br />
  • Cannot SURVIVE without someone providing nutrients and food.<br />
  • Cannot get anywhere without someone moving them.<br />
<br /><br />Sounds like we should eliminate all the 2 month old babies there...<br /><br />Sean

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow...what a flagrant troll!!!<br /><br />
What qualifies as not living a good enough life to keep a human around?<br /><br /><br />Can't feed yourself<br />Have to live on liquids<br />Can't go to the bathroom without help<br />Can't communicate with the people around you<br />Cannot SURVIVE without someone providing nutrients and food.<br />Cannot get anywhere without someone moving them.<br /><br />Sounds like we should eliminate all the 2 month old babies there.
That statement is just plain ignorant. All 2 month olds require that..it is a part of their <br />normal life cycle. <br /><br />Geez..<br /><br />-JustMrWill

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

That is normal for a 2 month old baby....they will grow out of it. Terry has had 15 years to regrow out of it and hasn't. What I find funny is how the repugs keep passing legislation to get around CURRENT LAW just so they can have their way, just like they did with DeLay so he could keep his post. It's becoming a trend......one I find very alarming.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Oh yeah... <br /><br />What qualifies as not living a good enough life to keep a human around?<br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Can't feed yourself<br />
  • Have to live on liquids<br />
  • Can't go to the bathroom without help<br />
  • Can't communicate with the people around you<br />
  • Cannot SURVIVE without someone providing nutrients and food.<br />
  • Cannot get anywhere without someone moving them.<br />
<br /><br />
Ayuh,...........<br /><br />IF I ever get to that point,.....................Shoot Me...........<br /><br /><br />I deleted your last line because this has Nothing to do with Infants ..............<br /><br />It has to do with Brian Dead Adults ................