Installing new decking question

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Good luck.

just screwing in plywood and not tabing it will have the plywood fail within a few years.

using paint vs resin is a fools errand

if you dont have the cash to do it right, you wont have the cash to do it over.

a typical floor/stringer/transom job is about $3k in materials and incidentals.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I will be doing it correctly.

I just wanted to know my options, why's and what fore's.

Thank you all for your replies, recommendations and help.

I truly appreciate it.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Dang... I have all email notifications turned on. Not receiving emails any more.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Check at the top of the thread, you should see "unwatch". If you see "watch" then your not subscribed

Next go into your settings to verify email and all is correct

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Yep I see "Unwatch" up above. I triple checked everything in my account and all email notifications are on. What's strange is I did get email notifications with my first two threads in the beginning.

alldodge

Staff member
If the emails are not going in the spam folder post your question in the website section

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I have plenty of sanding supplies. I left out disposable paint brushes, roller covers and mixing buckets. * I got my info from online fiberglass shops for calculating how much polyester resin I would need for at least the top coat with 1708. I "think" I could get away with one gallon for the underside of the deck. Just wondering if I screwed something up or missed something expensive that I might need? The reason I ask is Scott Danforth keeps quoting 2-3 thousand dollars for my decking project.

Deck: Plywood 4' x 16' = 64 sq ft (7 sq yrds) x 2 = 128 sq ft = (14.22 sq yrds).
Stringers: 2” x 4” x 16'
* For every linear yard of 50" 1708 biaxlial it takes about a half gallon of resin.

Boat Deck Repair

Item

Cost

Plywood: 3/4” x 4' x 8' (2 sheets)​

$86.00​

Stringers: 2” x 4” x 16' (4)​

$55.00​

1708 Biaxlial Cloth (5 linear yrds)​

$41.50​

Polyester Resin (3 gallons)​

$94.50​

Non Skid Deck Paint (2 quarts)

$70.00​

Total

$347.00​

todhunter

Canoeist
Will 5 yards of 1708 be enough? Tabbing eats up a lot of cloth and resin, especially if you do 2 layers. I've only done my stringers, bulkheads, and transom so far, and I'd guess I've used about 15-20 yards of 1708 and 15 gallons of resin already on just that. You may get lucky, but I think you're grossly underestimating. Don't forget to calculate peanut butter into your resin needs as well as cabosil and chopped strand fiber. Peanut butter also seems to use up quite a bit of resin, because it seems like everything needs a fillet.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Oop's, thanks, forgot about glassing the stringers.
I'm really not sure how much polyester resin I'll need. All I have to go by so far is as mentioned above, an online site said 1/2 gallon for a linear yard of 50" wide 1708. According to US Composites tech guy I only need one layer of 1708 on top of the 3/4" deck. I have no problems getting more supplies if I need it.
The deck is short of 16' and with the scrap cuts at the bow there will be plenty to cover the extra pointed foot.

Updated:

Item

Cost

Plywood: 3/4” x 4' x 8' (2 sheets)​

$86.00​

Stringers: 2” x 4” x 16' (4)​

$55.00​

DBM 1708 Biaxial Tape (42 linear yrds)

$59.50​

1708 Biaxlial Cloth (5 linear yrds)​

$41.50​

Polyester Resin (4 gallons)​

$126.00​

Non Skid Deck Paint (2 quarts)

$70.00​

Total

$438.00​

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Personally, I'd just order resin in 5 gallon buckets. Unless you're pretty experienced, you'll probably use more resin than needed, and there are few things worse than running out of resin half-way through a task. Not only that, but making fillets uses a good bit of resin, so 5 gallons is probably an underestimate.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Personlly I would just make a partial order and see how you move along.
The stuff ships and arrives in a few days. Things always get in the way and you will find your groove.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
For my 21', I've already gone through 20 yd CSM, nearly 15 yd 1708, 10 qts of Cabosil, 5 qts to 1/4 milled fibers, and 15-20 gallons of resin. This was just to get the transom, stringers, under deck bulkheads, and bottom of the deck plywood. I haven't really had much waste so far.

I just bought another 15 yds of CSM to continue on the top of the deck and begin the above deck build.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Point being....you certainly do not need to plug out a massive $$ order. Job durations are variable. 2 referenced above have year/s on their boats as do I.
Keep an ample supply on hand and carry on says I! I couldn't even tell you my counts of material and if I did a forecaste well thats another story.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you all for the replies.
Guess I could/should buy more than what I "think" (calculated from online) need and start with the transom, stringers and underside of the deck. If I need more I can order more for round two of the project.

Thanks again!