Installing new decking question

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
When I get around to installing a new floor and stringers...

I'll epoxy the stringers to the hull and wrap them with 2 layers of 1708 and resin.
For the 3/4" plywood floor I was wondering why I couldn't put a few coats of enamel paint all around it instead of fiberglass?
My local marina said I could and save tons of money.
US Composites said it is possible but recommended one coat of glass and then paint.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A fiberglass coating, plus cloth on the decking is much more durable than paint.
Most decking is 1/2 plywood. Why are you using 3/4" plywood?

I like to use pressure treated plywood that has been dried. Also, polyester resin and medium mat is just fine for sealing the decking. As the home despot, poly resin is just a little bit more than the cost of latex house paint.

alldodge

Staff member
I would work but not sure for how long, enamel isn't a good water sealer.

Could coat all sides and even more so the edges with epoxy paint. The epoxy would last longer.

How would the deck be held in place? Normally there are screws on the inside covered by glass. The glass tabbing on the sides is what will stiffen the hull and the sides have very little area to hold screws

What kind of boat?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Seems like going through all that work you want this repair to last, and I know $$ are always on every ones mind so if it were me I'd be using marine grade plywood and glassing the bottom.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
epoxy and 1708 dont mix. you need 1700 with epoxy (1708 minus the csm)

CSM requires the styrene in poly to dissolve the binder

epoxy is not uv stable and is a helluvva lot stronger with cloth than without cloth

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
A fiberglass coating, plus cloth on the decking is much more durable than paint.
Most decking is 1/2 plywood. Why are you using 3/4" plywood?

I realize fiberglass is more durable. But 10 gallons of resin plus 1708 will be over $300, were as a few gallons of paint is much cheaper. I am planing on using marine grade carpet runners on the foot paths.

I was going to use 3/4" ply because it would hold up better with my son and I's big butts LOL.

Last edited:

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I would work but not sure for how long, enamel isn't a good water sealer.

Could coat all sides and even more so the edges with epoxy paint. The epoxy would last longer.

How would the deck be held in place? Normally there are screws on the inside covered by glass. The glass tabbing on the sides is what will stiffen the hull and the sides have very little area to hold screws

What kind of boat?
"enamel isn't a good water sealer" Not sure where you get that from. Many things painted with enamel holds up for years in bad weather. Look at cars for an example, enamel was used on many over the years (just one example).

The ply would be screwed to the strings and then painted over.
I could glass the ply edges to the hull or use epoxy adhesive.

Boat in question: 1978 Glastron Skiflite 16'

Last edited:

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like going through all that work you want this repair to last, and I know $$ are always on every ones mind so if it were me I'd be using marine grade plywood and glassing the bottom.
I don't have a problem glassing the new deck if in fact paint wouldn't hold up for oh say 20 years. I don't mind every few years repainting the deck surface if need be.

Was just wondering "if" enamel paint would work. Been watching a lot of tiny boat video's and they paint the ply then carpet over it. So I wasn't sure.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
epoxy and 1708 dont mix. you need 1700 with epoxy (1708 minus the csm)

CSM requires the styrene in poly to dissolve the binder

epoxy is not uv stable and is a helluvva lot stronger with cloth than without cloth
Sorry Scott, I should have clarified my intentions better.

The stringers would be "glued" in place, explained by US Composites bellow...

"James,
Once you gut your boat, you will need epoxy and cabosil filler to glue new stringers in place. As long as you don’t get epoxy on outer surfaces, you can use polyester resin to save money for glassing 2 layers of 1708 biax on each side of your new stringers. Being you are using ¾” ply for your deck, 1 layer of 1708 will be fine to use. We do have a composite non-skid that works in paint or gelcoat."

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not trying to justify that the use of paint would be better than fiberglass. I'm trying to understand why it wouldn't work. :unsure:

I realize sealing the ply with fiberglass & cloth would create a really good seal. But adding strength? Would one layer of glassing really make my 3/4" deck that much stronger? Do I need a 48" wide deck that little bit stronger (stiffer)? Why wouldn't 3 or so coats of paint not create a good seal?

Then final finishing options:
Carpet
Paint
Gel Coat

Please don't think my questions are in argument, sometimes I have trouble explaining myself or how to phrase things. I am truly just curious! ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Carpet over enamel (or any paint) will rot the deck out in short order.

What size boat requires 10 gallons of poly resin to seal a deck? I needed almost 1 gal to do my 16 footer. My 21 footer would need maybe 2 gal.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Carpet over enamel (or any paint) will rot the deck out in short order.

What size boat requires 10 gallons of poly resin to seal a deck? I needed almost 1 gal to do my 16 footer. My 21 footer would need maybe 2 gal.
I stumbled across an online calculator a few days ago that allowed me to input my info then it processed the amount of resin needed. I just tried to find the site again but no luck.

Basically I input 4' x 16' both sides (42.6 sq yrds) using 1708 and it said I would need just shy of 10 gallons.

I thought that seemed like a heck of a lot.

I'm not even sure I need to add the 1708 cloth. Wouldn't just a layer of resin suffice?

jbcurt00

Staff member
. Wouldn't just a layer of resin suffice?
There is no generic 'resin'.. Polyester, Epoxy or Vinylester.

No, POLYESTER resin alone is brittle and prone to checking & cracking. Dont know @vinylester, but epoxy can be used alone, but it isnt UV stable, so needs to be covered. On some projects other members have had epoxy check & crack too on boat decks when used w out glass cloth. Application, conditions prior to applying epoxy, storage and coverage/protection, all of the above may have contributed to epoxy failure when used alone.

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stumbled across an online calculator a few days ago that allowed me to input my info then it processed the amount of resin needed. I just tried to find the site again but no luck.

Basically I input 4' x 16' both sides (42.6 sq yrds) using 1708 and it said I would need just shy of 10 gallons.

I thought that seemed like a heck of a lot.

I'm not even sure I need to add the 1708 cloth. Wouldn't just a layer of resin suffice?
That math is not right. 4'x16' x2 for both sides is 128 sf or 14.2 sq yards. No need for 1708 on bottom, only 1.5 oz CSM.

Last edited:

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had pretty good success with rustoleum Rusty metal primer then top coat on my deck surfaces that were getting carpeted. I was running a aluminum hull boat there was resin on some surfaces like the swim deck and front deck I think the paint did better jobfor the most part. The wood was replaced in 2013 just sold the boat. I used 3/4" subfloor grade plywood with the tongue and groove ends. I glued them together they worked great..

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
That math is not right. 4'x16' x2 for both sides is 128 sf or 14.2 sq yards. No need for 1708 on bottom, only 1.5 oz CSM.
Thanks for the reply.
Okay I'm getting wicked old and forgetting things. But wouldn't the math be feet times feet times the 2 sides equals, then divide the total feet by three to equal square yards?
Help! :eek:

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I had pretty good success with rustoleum Rusty metal primer then top coat on my deck surfaces that were getting carpeted. I was running a aluminum hull boat there was resin on some surfaces like the swim deck and front deck I think the paint did better jobfor the most part. The wood was replaced in 2013 just sold the boat. I used 3/4" subfloor grade plywood with the tongue and groove ends. I glued them together they worked great..
Thank you! ;)

todhunter

Canoeist
Thanks for the reply.
Okay I'm getting wicked old and forgetting things. But wouldn't the math be feet times feet times the 2 sides equals, then divide the total feet by three to equal square yards?
Help! :eek:
You're working in area, so divide sq-ft by 9 to get sq-yd