hurricane prep

i hate to be a boy scout and prep anything but just in case

bassboat 17' on trailer with possible week hurricane here by monday whats the best way to protect it?. is it covered by h/o insurance?

im thinking of parking in middle of yard so nothing will fall on it then strapping boat to trailer and using the posts they secure trailers down with strapping the trailer so it can not flip over. water will not get high in this area so its just the wind that could flip or move it

any advise

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: hurricane prep

I've always parked my boat and trailer on the driveway sideways so it blocks my two garage doors. Then I park my tow vehicle next to the boat and the wife's car next to that. Makes for a great wind block in front of my garage so the doors don't get blown in.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you have to leave it out in the open, put the bow into the wind, lower the tounge all way down and sand bag it, (the tounge). Try to pick a spot that isn't like an alley if you can. Behind the garage or along side the house is probably better. The wind will hit the house and blow out around it leaving the sides fairly safe. We often get hurricane force winds in the high desert (hard to believe but it's true) and this is how we get through it.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have to leave it out in the open, put the bow into the wind, lower the tounge all way down and sand bag it, (the tounge). Try to pick a spot that isn't like an alley if you can. Behind the garage or along side the house is probably better. The wind will hit the house and blow out around it leaving the sides fairly safe. We often get hurricane force winds in the high desert (hard to believe but it's true) and this is how we get through it.

I've never had to deal with a hurricane, but having it bow down could create a water problem if it would happen to leak through the cover (or it get's blown off), which I imagine is likely. You may go out to find your boat full of water causing future headaches.

Just my 2cents, but what about leaving it hooked up to the tow vehicle? That should keep the tongue solid...

Austin

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've never had to deal with a hurricane, but having it bow down could create a water problem if it would happen to leak through the cover (or it get's blown off), which I imagine is likely. You may go out to find your boat full of water causing future headaches.

Just my 2cents, but what about leaving it hooked up to the tow vehicle? That should keep the tongue solid...

Austin

first, there's no cover. Second, you want it to fill with water to add weight. won't hurt anything

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

first, there's no cover. Second, you want it to fill with water to add weight. won't hurt anything

Really? I understand not having a cover, but do you really let it fill with water? What about water damage to the floor/ stringers? I would think that even a new boat is going to have somevoid or poorly sealed hole for water to seep in. I guess the idea just seeps odd to me :eek:

Austin

we havent had a bad one for a while and i didnt have a boat then. i know with small tinnys they take them off the trailer and fill them with water. im not planning to put a cover over it as that will proberly do more damadge if the cover gets loose and theres going to be alot of rain even if the wind doesnt get bad so i would rather have the touge up. i guess i can try useing the house as a wind block but i live in the middle of a large lot so i would rather not have the boat flip into the house as the wife would get upset. the last bad one stacked up 20 foot plus boats like they were toys. i will drive around and see what other people are doing at the weekend if it keeps heading this way

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Simply strapped to the trailer should be good...we would need a what class 3 type storm to move her or flip her?
Just hinkin out loud but what if you had 5 gallon buckets of concrete made up with an eye hook and chained her to 3 of em?
Bow, port and starboard.. I am Not really worried about my boat flipping, more airborne flying debri damage than anything.
Where abouts in SWFL ?

moorehaven just down the road from you. not worried if it comes over us more worried if it goes over the keys and hooks back in like the last bad one. if it gets hit by debri then thats just bad luck.

Jlawsen

I would agree, it shouldn't bother it. When the storm passes just pull the plug, jack it up and let it drain.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Really? I understand not having a cover, but do you really let it fill with water? What about water damage to the floor/ stringers? I would think that even a new boat is going to have somevoid or poorly sealed hole for water to seep in. I guess the idea just seeps odd to me :eek:

Austin

not a problem for a day or so

as for "into the wind" and "blocking the wind" remember a good 'cane blows all the compass points.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

bassboat 17' on trailer with possible week hurricane here by monday whats the best way to protect it?. is it covered by h/o insurance?

Call your insurance company and ask. then have a hurricane party.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

define 'fill'... There have been plenty of boats and trailers that have been absolutely destroyed by doing exactly what you are talking about. 2000 pounds of water is about 250 gallons, which sounds like alot but if you do the math, its about 4 inches of rain in a 17 foot boat. 2000 pounds of water will likely destroy the hull and trailer.

Jlawsen

not a problem for a day or so

as for "into the wind" and "blocking the wind" remember a good 'cane blows all the compass points.

Very true, I've been in some really bad Typhoons and Hurricanes at sea and remember that. The 80-90mph winds I've been through in the high desert are usually from one fairly constant direction.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

i hate to be a boy scout and prep anything but just in case

im thinking of parking in middle of yard so nothing will fall on it then strapping boat to trailer and using the posts they secure trailers down with strapping the trailer so it can not flip over. water will not get high in this area so its just the wind that could flip or move it

any advise

From what I have read that was found after the last "blow" your approach is a good one. Even if it may be overkill for the one coming, it would be good practice. In our weather area, parking the trailer bow down is a recipe for disaster, allowing the water to weigh the bow down and depending on the boat, getting into wiring, electrical systems and electronics. Then you have to raise the bow, which is now quite heavy and probably more weight than the jack is rated to lift. Then the water all rushes to the stern, soaking everything in its path that wasn't already ruined.

A lot of the suggested precautions are locale and boat type specific and based on individual's experience. You cannot over prepare for a hurricane, but you must do it intelligently. Wind and water are the enemies, but if outside a flood (surge) zone, the water becomes some what less of a problem. Just make sure it can get out of your boat if and when it gets in.

Believe it or not, the buckets filled with concrete can be slung around quite violently doing considerable damage. I went to the area of Miami struck by Andrew and saw huge chunks of concrete torn from roofs and walls that had rebar in them. Do not underestimate Mother Nature!!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I've never had to deal with high winds much, let alone a hurricane... But would it help if you took the wheels of the trailer?
It would need much more force to move the boat and trailer in the first place and you could still keep the bow up or even setting the boat level to keep large amounts of water from accumulating.
And less wind would catch it if it's sitting lower.
Just a thought.
Good luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglass Boats and motor combos of 17' or more are not top heavy, so they will not blow off trailers, unless tornado or real strong winds. These you cannot protect against. Strapping it to a trailer will provide additonal protection. Block the trailer tongue up securely, and remove the drain plug, as you do not need thousands of pounds of rain water destroying your hull and trailer. Tie the trailer tongue to the blocks so it cannot lift up, and maybe to a stout tree to keep it from blowing around the yard. Placing it in the lee area between houses/cars ets, helps as well. Covers will shred, so remove them, or take your chances. Take out loose items and store in the garage. Blocking the trailer wheels is a good idea.

If these protection measures don't work, you have done the best you could and simply move on.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Given its current track, the storm could be a large affair in my area. Monday will be bugout day if needed and the boat will go North with me.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

we started the discussion on the basis of a weak hurricane. They are the ones you can do things to protect your property. Big ones, you're screwed.

There are a million things you can do to protect your property and a million more things people will tell you about. every situation is different, starting with the list of things you need to guard against, or expect:
rising water
currents in same
crashing surf
sudden storm surge wall
high winds (a) gusts and (b)sustained
volume of rain
driving rain
multi-direction winds
falling trees
flying debris
wave-driven debris
YOU WILL NOT HAVE ALL OF THEM!
pick the ones that will affect you. for example at home I have rising water but no current, surge wall, or surf (at the home on the water I grew up in; we have 75+ years history of many major and smaller storms) but I also have a place on the ocean with 8' breakers to deal with.

Here is the list of things you are concerned about with a boat on a trailer:
blowing away loose equipment
blowing off cover
blowing boat off trailer (a) slightly (b) airborne
floating boat off trailer
blowing/washing trailer around (a parking lot of boats is like bumper cars, or shopping carts in a parking lot in a windstorm)
whole rig floating away
filling the boat with too much rain causing damage
flying debris/falling trees

Solutions:
move to high ground
remove loose articles and cover; tape hatches
secure boat to trailer
secure trailer to ground/trees (got anchor?)
lower tongue and pull plug, to catch some, but not too much, water, and to prevent drive-away
either put it in the middle of a field, or against a solid wall, to protect from direct wind and debris

note that some conflict; eg tying to a tree v. getting away from trees. You just have to use your judgment and know your circumstances--this you get from talking to someone in your town in Florida, not Arizona or Virginia. Even coastal and inland of the same state are different strategies; I deal with Atlantic barrier island, coastal river, and foot hills (Richmond) and each place has its differences.

watch from the window over the rim of a beer

can you put it in a 2 storey+ parking deck?

ETA wind details

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

define 'fill'... There have been plenty of boats and trailers that have been absolutely destroyed by doing exactly what you are talking about. 2000 pounds of water is about 250 gallons, which sounds like alot but if you do the math, its about 4 inches of rain in a 17 foot boat. 2000 pounds of water will likely destroy the hull and trailer.

depends depends depends. all advice has an unstated implied "within reason." And I know that a square Carolina skiff w/ four inches of water in it will be fine. Other boats, depends depends depends