hurricane prep

Re: hurricane prep

"watch from the window over the rim of a beer"

theres the kicker. even if its a mild or wild storm i will proberly be doing a lock in at work so its got to fend for itself until i get back. anything up to cat 1 i do not see a problem with other than debri and thats more luck then planning. i think 3 trailer anchor screwed in the ground and tied to the trailer will keep it there. im going to try to keep water out of the boat as the weight will be a problem if im gone for 36hrs like last time.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wind on a fixed objects consists of two pressures a positive pressure on the side the wind is blowing and a negative pressure on the leeward side. Other factors come into play such as the height of the object (winds are lower closer to the ground due to friction) and the terrain (crowded urban / forested areas knock down wind better than a flat field).

A minimum hurricane like Isaac with 75 mph winds works out to be a force of about 30 pounds per square foot. Taking an arbitrary small boat with a length of 20' and an average height of 2-1/2', you have a horizontal wind force trying to push your boat sideways of about 1,500 lb. A boat / motor /trailer that size probably weighs 2,000 - 2,500 lbs, so it is not going anywhere. Fill your gas tank if you think you need more ballast. If you are still worried, then go buy a couple screw anchors used for securing sheds to the ground as they will hold about 750 lbs uplift each.

Wind pressure quadruples when wind speed doubles. For a category 5 storm at 150 mph, you are looking at 120lb / sq ft, or a force of 6,000 lb. You would need multiple anchors in the ground and cables up to the job. I'm in south Florida and watching the storm, but as an engineer looking at 75 mph winds, I'm going to remove the cover and anything loose, prop the bow up securly, and forget about my boat for this one.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I've always parked my boat and trailer on the driveway sideways so it blocks my two garage doors. Then I park my tow vehicle next to the boat and the wife's car next to that. Makes for a great wind block in front of my garage so the doors don't get blown in.

Plus...your wife's vehicle catches most of the wind damage LOL :D

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

If your parking it in the yard away from trees you can pick up a few screw anchors at Harbor Freight. They use them to hold down carparts. I would strap the trailer to four of them. Make sure you have enough beer and water to wait it out. I am also from Florida and couldn't imagine leaving the plug in the boat. The rain is ridiculous in these storms.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

We don't get to many hurricanes,mostly tropical storms.
If it gets bad enough I normally leave the aluminum boat hooked to the truck and try to face both into the wind.I will use them anchor screws as well when it gets really bad.The only reason I have anchor screws,is because I "had" one of those tarp sheds for a week...hurricanes will tear them apart if the door splits open.