HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: HUGE PROJECT!! 30' Scarab Sport overhual

I know such deals are tempting, but the cost always outruns the budget on “go fast” boats of this size, unless you do your home work, and most everything else yourself. I helped a friend many years ago, who bought a "drug runner" from one of those government auctions. It was also stripped.

We concentrated on getting it “on the water” ready first.

The comforts and optionals came latter, much much later.

There is nothing more frustrating than a big pile of money sitting next to the house that you can't use. It doesn't matter how cool the new sound system is, or how fast the new upholstery looks, if you can't use a boat in the water, it is just a uncomfortable camper.

Make it sea worthy first, the rest will fall into place (in terms of importance to you) as you use it.

In the end my friends project cost much less than what everybody said it would, but he did as Erik said. He kept his eyes open, and jumped when good deals came by. Most of the people that said it couldn't be done, were the same people that got mad when he did it.

He never entered the project with the idea to sell it for profit. He wanted a boat he could never afford, and was willing to work for it. He got what he wanted, and years later actually sold it for much more (labor not included) than he had in it.

WizeOne

Commander

Your absolute best financial scenario is to bail out now. You only will have lost $700.00. That is the very cheapest that you will ever get out from underneath this nightmare.

No engines, no outdrives, no electronics, stringers (and who knows what else) rotted. $8000.00 to get back on the water? Dream on! Cut your losses now.

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just gotta go with what you know...! You know your resources and limits... Bro, I have been turning junk into shiny junk for years... If I had money, I'd be a skill-less snob and be unable to see dreams like you have of getting the Scarab back on the water... I am right there with you, but you gotta deal with the budget in levels. Lets say $8K gets you thru project XZY - Even you know that $8K will not have you on the water with bikini babes on board:D

SHOW YOUR PICS!!
SHOW YOUR PICS!!
SHOW YOUR PICS!!

:rolleyes:
-OP-

Robj

Lieutenant

Most people here think that your $8k budget is way toooo low. You may want to consider that maybe they are correct. If you go ahead with this project, be prepared to spend alot more than $8k.

Have a great day,

Rob.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I can just hear the conversation now..." Honey, I 've got a great deal on this wonderful boat and with your blessing and just 8k we will have the boat of our dreams! What ya say, honey, can I get it??"

And with that simple nod of approval, who is she to know what the Donz..er Scarab will really cost!!

Go for it ! ;)

jonesg

Admiral

I know such deals are tempting, but the cost always outruns the budget on ?go fast? boats of this size, unless you do your home work, and most everything else yourself. I helped a friend many years ago, who bought a "drug runner" from one of those government auctions. It was also stripped.

We concentrated on getting it ?on the water? ready first.

The comforts and optionals came latter, much much later.

There is nothing more frustrating than a big pile of money sitting next to the house that you can't use. It doesn't matter how cool the new sound system is, or how fast the new upholstery looks, if you can't use a boat in the water, it is just a uncomfortable camper.

Make it sea worthy first, the rest will fall into place (in terms of importance to you) as you use it.

In the end my friends project cost much less than what everybody said it would, but he did as Erik said. He kept his eyes open, and jumped when good deals came by. Most of the people that said it couldn't be done, were the same people that got mad when he did it.

He never entered the project with the idea to sell it for profit. He wanted a boat he could never afford, and was willing to work for it. He got what he wanted, and years later actually sold it for much more (labor not included) than he had in it.

such a thoughtful post deserves to be read twice.

Most people, when they say something can't be done are only talking about themselves and they are usually right, they can't do it and they are projecting that fear (or prudence in their case) onto others.
Projection makes perception.

Human nature being what it is, if he started out saying "I don't think I can swing this" a lot of people would be saying "sure you can".

salty87

Commander

one of the original requirements of the project (from the 1st post)-
"I don?t wanna do all this work, spend 8000, only to get not even half that back!"

be careful, if you don't finish...who's gonna pay much for whatever you've piece-mealed together? i see that as the biggest obstacle...even bigger than finishing. do you know what the boat is supposed to end up looking and performing like? you're gonna have a tough sell with a scarab-like boat and some sort of interior.

for your own sanity, for your relationship, for your bank balance....run. don't forget the time it will take. that $8k would be better spent on something in better condition that doesn't need to be completely rebuilt.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok bud.....you made the decision to go for it......

there aint one guy here that will back out of helping you.........

you say you need glass......

erik green buys his from e bay.....he buys scraps ....shockingly cheap....
a buddy of mine (red fury) has some left over (csm)..... he might be able to sell you by the yard for slightly less than retail

for a 30 foot go fast...i would use epoxy....search hard....but that will be a chunk of the budget......

the ply wood can be scabbed from construction sites over time.....

but as said above....cosmetics later.
but the uasual corse of action is make sure youve got good power first.....once you know that..

there is nothing stopping you from starting the strings and transom now.
if the hull is gutted.....your job is easyer

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

Snappingturtle, JonesG, and Erikgreen..... I owe you guys a ride next april thanks for being POSITIVE! These other guys who are total downers havent even see the pics of the boat yet and they are blasting it out of the water!!! You guys have faith and I WILL finish the boat, That is where i just STARTED my budget, always better to try and shoot low than shoot high///then have to go even higher.
By the way!!!

Its a Scarab Super Sport, thus outboards....no drives needed. I will contact you Erikgreen and see if you have any fiberglass for sale or how you go about buying it on Ebay. Thanks for everyones help!!!! I will be bringing her home next Friday so Sorry about no pics yet. When I get her I will be sure to send you guys every angle I can think of

Take care,

John

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I was gonna say.....nobody seems to be picking up on the fact that this boat uses OUTBOARD engines!!! But they know enough to tell you it can't be done......LAUGHABLE!!!

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I was gonna say.....nobody seems to be picking up on the fact that this boat uses OUTBOARD engines!!! But they know enough to tell you it can't be done......LAUGHABLE!!!

Well, OB's, he can do it then. I didn't know it was a fishing boat.
Not use to equating Scarab with a center console.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

For those of you that can't wait till next friday for photos, me included, here are a few teasers from ?89 models.

It could look like this one day.

93381504_1thumb_550x410.jpg

93381504_2thumb_550x410.jpg

93381504_4thumb_550x410.jpg

93381504_6thumb_550x410.jpg

93381504_7thumb_550x410.jpg

93381504_9thumb_550x410.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

... or maybe even like this one.

1864661_8.jpg

1864661_9.jpg

1864661_10.jpg

1864661_13.jpg

and some tech specs ...

1864661_20.jpg

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say he has a hell of a good find there.

salty87

Commander

bit of a moving target now with a starting budget of $8k.

great looking boats, snapping turtle. no cuddy will make things easier.

good luck with your project

maxum247

Lieutenant

There's one of those type boats a few miles from where I live, probably an early seventies model I beleive. Not sure of the name brand. I ride by and glance at it once in awhile and think what a nice boat that would be and imagine it all fixed up. I live close to the sound here, "miles long and wide" that I could run around on, would be a lot of fun but the wallet is just too thin. I'm excited to see someone tackle a project like this, it will be interesting to watch as you do the work on it. Best of luck if you decide to carry on with the project.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I'm just reading and reading and waiting for someone to come to their senses and realize that it says Scarab Sport.

Oh wow finally someone.

Sounds like a cool project I'd take it no matter what $700 for a 30' scarab sport hull oh yeah.

Your gonna come out way ahead no matter what.

Do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.