How would you do this transom?

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I am seeking advice to replace a transom on my 14 foot fiberglass boat, it has a soft spot on one side and i don't know how to go about it.

I can either cut from behind and replace it, but the inside fiberglass is very thin and damaged.

Other option is to cut out the rear deck to lift it and remove the transom from the inside ( and save the paint).

Or, i distribute the thrust with an aluminium sheet on each side since the only soft spot is on the far right side and i go easy on the boat for the little time i'm going to use it.

What would you do?

transom.png

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The structure under the floor is likely rotten too.-----Do a complete evaluation of boat / motor before spending any more beer tokens.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the cap

Cut out the deck, replace the transom, stringers and deck

Your transom is shot, your stringers are also rotting, and your flotation foam is probably water logged

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've junked something like 7 or 8 small boats (14-18ft) in the last 3-4 years that I got cheap or free, it's ALWAYS the same issues......

Hull may be damaged / delaminated or abraided by rocks or other bottom obstacles or and beaching

Hull stringers are rotten, and foam is water logged, along with wood floor which needs to be replaced

Transom has either soaked up water from poor sealing on top edge, and or ingressed water from stupidly mounted accessories, or cracking suck as around the drain port.

Add up all the other--paint--etc and if they gave it to you for free it's not a good deal.

I sure do wish you luck, really

jbcurt00

Staff member
Could have been added to

Pix in that topic suggest there's a lot of work ahead, and no an aluminum band-aid plate isn't sufficient

If you want to change its title, just post what you'd like it to be. No need for multiple topics about the work ahead

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Add up all the other--paint--etc and if they gave it to you for free it's not a good deal.
I have heard this kind of reply a lot over the last 6 months or so. Sure, Marine plywood isnt cheap but one sheet should be enough to rebuild the transom, $120 +/-, Resin is not cheap, $130 +/- per gal kit, Foam, stringer wood, fiberglass mat, another $300 +/- maybe. Now if you enjoy this kind of hobby then the hours spent doing this will offset the money spent and you will enjoy the boat even more when it is done. Keep in mind you may never get out what you really put into it with time and money. So if you are doing it to flip it, may not be worth your time. I am enjoying the process of my project when i can get to it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you need much much much more than a transom. you need a full restoration. especially since your floor is rotten which is always the last thing to go.

pxl_20210509_193534512-jpg.339688

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
The structure under the floor is likely rotten too.-----Do a complete evaluation of boat / motor before spending any more beer tokens.
there is no floor yet
Pull the cap

Cut out the deck, replace the transom, stringers and deck

Your transom is shot, your stringers are also rotting, and your flotation foam is probably water logged
thanks!
the floor, Stringer's and foam are already pulled out.
All we wanted was to make sure our engine was good before rebuilding it and thanks to @racerone we got it now.

It will be a nice boat, the Hull is in good shape and the paint is coming back with a little buffing. Nothing a little elbow grease can't fix

Anyway, the goal here isn't to save money but to make something and have fun doing it. Sure if we can do all this under 2k it will be great but that's not the goal.

Sorry for the multiple threads i am not used to the internet forums lol

todhunter

Canoeist
I'd separate the halves (pull the cap) and replace the transom from the inside. Aluminum plate is a band-aid.

Take whatever number you've figured for cost (you've thrown out a number of $2K) and multiply it somewhere between 2x and 4x and that's probably realistically what it will take. My restoration cost closer to 4x what I originally intended, but it was because I started thinking "while I'm here..." and "if that's new but this isn't, it won't look right...". It also took about 3x the time I wanted it to take - I was planning on 6 months at the beginning and it ended up taking 18 months (I'd estimate it took me about 500 hours). No regrets, though.

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
I'd separate the halves (pull the cap) and replace the transom from the inside. Aluminum plate is a band-aid.

Take whatever number you've figured for cost (you've thrown out a number of $2K) and multiply it somewhere between 2x and 4x and that's probably realistically what it will take. My restoration cost closer to 4x what I originally intended, but it was because I started thinking "while I'm here..." and "if that's new but this isn't, it won't look right...". It also took about 3x the time I wanted it to take - I was planning on 6 months at the beginning and it ended up taking 18 months (I'd estimate it took me about 500 hours). No regrets, though.
thanks, you are so right. While i'm at it...

Everyone can go out and spend 5k on a boat, but there's no fun in it! haha

matt167

Rear Admiral
I have almost $10k into a 14' boat worth about $3k. It's just the nature of the beast. At least mine I did because I know it is safe and reliable now.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thanks, you are so right. While i'm at it...

Everyone can go out and spend 5k on a boat, but there's no fun in it! haha
$5k is still a project boat. any boat under $10k, or older than 15 years is a project boat. With todays market, the thing is to find the right project

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
$5k is still a project boat. any boat under $10k, or older than 15 years is a project boat. With todays market, the thing is to find the right project
prices have definitely been increasing lately.

Can't wait to start seperating the deck maybe next week

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
do yourself a favor when splitting the cap off the boat. take your time, use a heat gun to "WARM" up the insert as you remove it. try your best to salvage your rub rail as you will find this is expensive replacement, unless you planned on replacing with new.

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
do yourself a favor when splitting the cap off the boat. take your time, use a heat gun to "WARM" up the insert as you remove it. try your best to salvage your rub rail as you will find this is expensive replacement, unless you planned on replacing with new.
thanks for the tip. will do!

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
If your rub rail rubber insert can not be saved, take a razor down the middle of it first and cut it in half, comes out real easy. Mine was as hard as a rock from baking in the Florida sun for decades, I tried to pull it out and it wasn't budging, split it and a few minutes later it was gone.

Once you have your cap off buy a few cheap pool noodles, slice half way through with a knife and slide them over the upper edge of the raw factory glass of the hull. That will save your skin.

Julien 4788

Seaman Apprentice
If your rub rail rubber insert can not be saved, take a razor down the middle of it first and cut it in half, comes out real easy. Mine was as hard as a rock from baking in the Florida sun for decades, I tried to pull it out and it wasn't budging, split it and a few minutes later it was gone.

Once you have your cap off buy a few cheap pool noodles, slice half way through with a knife and slide them over the upper edge of the raw factory glass of the hull. That will save your skin.
thanks for the tip, this forum is really filled with awesome people!

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
That boat looks exactly like my Pisces "back burner" when I'm not doing anything else project.
Also,
**nice excavator" in background. use that to pull cap, thats what I did.

And Correction. I may have got took.. but 3/4" Marine just cost me $175 for a sheet