Heeeelp Evinrude 140 again - paging 2KBoat or Evinrude aces

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Heeeelp Evinrude 140 again - paging 2KBoat or Evinrude aces

I have been keeping up with your saga. It certainly has been interesting and alot was learned.I commend you for your perseverance.

93bronco

Ensign

if you have not invested in a parts manual i would. check this site out in the mean time www.boaterssupply.com one thing about locating the part #s on this site is some of the #s have been updated so they dont always show the actual #s as installed for that year. only the original parts manual will. you can get that on ebay cheap. -<br />i can tell you that i bought my motor as a 1992 120, through months of investigating <this site helped alot> it turned out to be a 1988 140txcc-v6 case with 2.25 to 1 (12:27) ratio.<br />i just received the parts to get rid of water control valve. so we will see if the info i got here was correct.<br /> if the motor is a 1989 and the carbs have not been swapped you should have these jet sizes:<br />-<br /># 41 idle<br /># 50 intermediate<br /># 63D highspeed <fuel bowl><br /><br />but i wouldnt go buying those yet until you know what carbs you have. but hey if its running good dont try and fix it. that could lead to more problems.<br />ill go back and move up one of my previous ?s, see if i get a response

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />Thanks for the site. I will take a lok.<br /><br />I have discussed my swap with the marina. They will be here in a couple of hours. They claim that the jets are not installed incorrectly, I have my jet locations missunderstood. Acording to my manual, as I look at the carbs with the cover off, lowest is the idle and this has a size 30 in it! I see this as the idle. <br /><br />Marina also claim that intermediate is 54 and idle 17 I think. <br /><br />Time will tell. No way I can test today thuogh as the see is too rough.<br /><br />Keep you posted.<br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />I can not find my engine listed.<br /><br />Mine is BE140TLCUA. I presume that 140TL$$$ is a variant on this. It does show the jets in the oriantation that you told me and what I believe to be true.

93bronco

Ensign

that comes out to be a 1987 model, which is the smaller bore <3.50> loopvee. the parts listing on that site are vague when it comes to carbs. (not showing which is 120 or 140) there are few jet combos listed and i dont know which is correct. <br />-<br />the bottom jet <orifice> is for idle (air)<br />the mid jet <orifice> is intermidiate (air)<br />the fuel bowl jet <orifice> is high speed (fuel)<br />-<br /> the mechs should have a micro-fiche, ask them to show you your year which according to what you listed is a 1987 140TLCUA. they should be tunning it by that year.<br /><br />-<br />you really need to order the correct parts manual for that motor.<br />now that the correct year is know hopefully someone with more knowledge can help with the correct jetting for that year.<br />i think ive done all i can, was just trying to help.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2KBoat,<br /><br />If you were here I would buy you a case of beer.<br /><br />The mechanics have just been and confirmed the year as 87. He used INTRODUCES. Each letter correspondes to a no. I = 1, N=2, r = 4, c=8 and u = 7 which gives 87.<br /><br />They brought a new carb body and swapped all the jets. He said that the jets should be 16 and 36 for that year. With what I now have I shouldn't be too far off.<br /><br />Can't wait to try it in the sea as soon as it calms.<br /><br />Thanks for all your help. Without your steer on the jets being swapped I would still be at the hands of the mecs.<br /><br />I just hope the sizes I have in are the optimum setting.<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

let us know how it turnes out. have fun

93bronco

Ensign

ng- i was just curious on your status with the carbs?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />I had the boat out on Thursday.<br /><br />It performs better, but not as I think it should or did.<br /><br />It starts, but requires choke to keep it going.<br /><br />I can accelerate from standstill but there is still some slight delay. Hard to explain. If I go from forward idle and then open the throttle it sort of thinks about it, burbles a bit and then the power comes on. Far far better than it used to but not as I am sure it should.<br /><br />The other problem is that when I slow down and come to idle the engine gets slower and slower until it stalls. Then I need to start it on choke and quickly push it into gear.<br /><br />I expect this is fione tuning. If the idle was set-up for the other (incorrectly sized) jets then it should all be done again with the jets I have now.<br /><br />I think I can do this myself as I have a manual now. It says to go from the beginning with timing. I don't think that is needed. I was going to put it into gear and then adjust the idle when in motion.<br /><br />What do you think?<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

when they changed the jetting i hope they went back and rechecked lync&sync along with idle timing and max spark advance.<br />what jets did you end up with?<br />before mine went down it wouldnt idle either after it warmed up, went through the carb thing because my jets were different, although it turned out to be a 88 140 not a 92 120 its still jetted for a 120. before i could finish had head gasket failure that had also contributated to my problem.<br />ill be putting the spare ph on here shortly, due to scored cylinders from overheat.<br />if im lucky the crank and all will still be ok to put in empty block after it is bored. that way ill still have a spare sitting.<br />the trashed power head is severly eaten up by salt water around cylinder sleeves where it mates with the heads. it will just be a conversation piece on why you should flush after every visit to salt water.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />No, the guys just replaced the jets. No additional adjustment. What should be checked?<br /><br />I have a manual and it tells me how I should check timing and sync. Do I really need to do all that again? I don't think I need the copy you kindly offered as the manual is quite descriptive.<br /><br />Jet sizes are now idle 14 intermediate 30.<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

you never did say what the high speed jet in the fuel bowel was?<br />i would go back and check just to be sure<br />also i would put the jets in that the 1987 parts manual calls for. i think earlier i posted the jetting for an 85. im shure the 87 is different by a size or two. but with out the actual parts manual i cant say. when i go to the shop to pick up my gaskets tomorrow ill have them pull the micro fiche and tell me whats listed for the model you gave.<br />-check my feb 14th post for the correct 1985 sizes.<br />also take a magnifying glass and look at the #30 to see if its a #38, it mite be that if it is a #30 its way to far off from the #40 a 1985 140 calls for.<br />did you ever get a parts manual?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />I think the high speed jets are either 60 or 63. I can't remember.<br /><br />The problem I will have with swapping jets is getting hold of them. I have 1 dealer and parts are limited to say the least. I don't have a parts manual. I have seen one though and it gives many options. One even lists intermediate jets smaller than the idle which is very confusing.<br /><br />The 30 is definitely a 30 and not a 38.<br /><br />Thanks for helping<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

ive got a 1987 120/140 parts manual coming in as soon as it gets here ill post the carbs jetting.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2KBoat,<br /><br />Thanks for the interest. I have a good feeling about the outcome.<br /><br />My only problem will be the sourcing of the jets if needed.<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

yea im grabing up the parts lists to help in case i get spare parts atleast ill have a list for each year starting in 85 to 97.<br />my spine plate has been giving alot of pain so i havent been able to put spare power head on yet.<br />hope to have the other pulled this weekend.<br />-<br />will post those sizes when i get them.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2kboat,<br /><br />Did you manage to get the parts manual?<br /><br />BG

93bronco

Ensign

yea i finally got it, sorry been dealing with docs and att's. do you have an email address?

93bronco

Ensign

just waiting on you response, sorry for the delay the guy claimed he mailed it so i waited and waited then i fnally emailed him back to recheck and sure enough it was still sitting there.

hunt-fish.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I skimmed through the postings and I have 2 '90 115s. I have had what appears to be the same or very similar problem. What I discovered was the engine was sucking air in the fuel lines. The black plastic hose clamps have a tendancy to split on the opposite side of the clamp. You might re-check each vacuum line, fuel line and VRO line for a cracked clamp. My favorite way to find them is to see if they will rotate on the hose. This can be a really annoying problem. When you find the magic connector the stalling problem will disappear and the engine runs like new. Hope this helps.