Heeeelp Evinrude 140 again - paging 2KBoat or Evinrude aces

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Heeeelp Evinrude 140 again - paging 2KBoat or Evinrude aces

When you run your motor under a load, hit the primer (choke) to check for lean/rich conditions. If the motor gains rpm and then drops off it is too lean at the rpm you are running. If it does nothing for a split second, and then falls off it is OK. If it falls off instantly its running slightly to the rich side. Personally thats where I like mine. Not rich enough to blubber but right on the edge.<br /><br />Thanks for the updates.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Phew. This is starting to get heavy.<br /><br />Mechs said they finished yesterday. They replaced midrange jets. Presume this must be fuel??<br /><br />I took the boat out, there was a bit of a swell (plus I am running in) so I couldn't go flat out.<br /><br />The boat now accellerates from idle to WOT. Went to WOT and boat seemed to be as fast as before but I was unable to hol at speed or trim because of conditionand max RPM.<br /><br />Mid range now seems to be OK as well. <br /><br />From having an engine that would not get on to the plane and then it would but die at mid throttle I think I have progressed.<br /><br />I am still not happy though. This is a 18 foot Wellcraft with a 140 so it should (and used to) fly from a standing start. When I creep on forward and then go to WOT, it accelerates slowly, thinks about it for a second and then climbs quickly to max revs.. Before I was able to pull skiers arms off.<br /><br />Also at mid range it is not as smooth as it used to be and once it died completely at mid range but I think this was a fuel kink problem. It seems to blubber at mid revs but not badly. <br /><br />The question is now, what should I do. I need to run the engine in, so I don't wish to thrash whilst I test.<br /><br />Could these symptoms attribute to a 25:1 fuel mix whilst I run in?<br /><br />I know it is nowhere near as good as it was before the rebuild and that is going to bug me. The mechanics are waiting to stand down, but I am not happy but I don't know what else I (they) do.<br /><br />I will play with the primer and see what affect this has. It used to kill the engine.<br /><br />Another related problem is water pressure but I will post separately.<br /><br />Appreciate all this help :) <br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am so close with this now. Anyone any advice on my next action from the last post please.<br /><br />Thanks

ob

Admiral

I would'nt mess with any performance issues until run in is complete with 25:1 mix .You'll not get the performance at this ratio that you will see at 50:1.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Talking OB advise I have decided to continue with the running in and then see how things run later. I think it is better to do performance tuning with an engine that is run in.<br /><br />I will still carry out the suggested primer tests and revert back.<br /><br />Hopefully post again in 10 hours time (suggested running in period) :) <br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the 10 hours are up. As you can see this saga has been going on for a while.<br /><br />The 10 hours run in period has now been completed and I am running on 50:1 fuel.<br /><br />The engine is performing better and will plane at 5000 RPM. However there is still a problem in mid throttle. From idle to WOT the engine rumbles and takes about 10 - 15 secs to get to max RPM.<br /><br />I called the mechanics back and suggested (just like other before that we change the jets. The mecs pulled off the carb cover and noticed that on each of the 4 carbs there was fuel spluttering through the same jet on each carb. Now they suggest a reed problem. I really can't understand this as the carbs were OK beofre, but they have been messing about with jet sizes.<br /><br />I am hoping to get stock jets put in on Saturday.<br /><br />Any reason other than an incorrectly tuned carb that I should see small amounts of fuel spluttering into the carb cover?

93bronco

Ensign

those i believe are air jets, and work with the side plate / rods going into carb bowl. i would check float levels, side and bowl gaskets first before removing intake. these are 88,89,& 90 jet sizes for 120/140<br /> idle air bleed 41 same (lower)<br /> intermediate 50 - 120hp (mid)<br /> 54 - 140hp<br /> high speed 63D (bowl)<br />i have read this thread from the begining, have you changed mechanics yet or still same ones?

tosj

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br />I've read your story and wish you a better luck in future! ;) <br /><br />This problem with "When I creep on forward and then go to WOT, it accelerates slowly, thinks about it for a second and then climbs quickly to max revs", I've had similar problem with my earlier Johnson 140 -87 and for me it was iddle-jets that was stuck so when I went to WOT the carburators were almost out of gas and then the engine "think about it for a second" before enough gas had arrived to climb to the max rews....strange but that was the case...<br /><br />good luck! ;) <br />/Tommy

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@K Boat,<br /><br />I have the same mechanics. As I have already paid for the rebuild I am staying with them until they get it working. Where I live in Oman there isn't a lot of choice of Johnsom Evinrude mechanics to choose from. They seem to know what they are doing but it is a slow painful process I have to put up with.<br /><br />I will have a look at the current jet sizes. <br /><br />Thanks

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HAd a look at the jets. The lower ones , idle I think are stamped with a 30. The higher ones in the mid line of the carb, Intermediate I think, are stamped with a 14.<br /><br />Couldn't locate the high speed jets. From what 2K boat said, the no's are way different???<br /><br />NGriff

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Others have said it and just wanted to affirm that in my opinion when this is done you should make sure that all the jet sizes are stock. There should be no reason to change the jet size short of a service bulletin. If it is running lean something is blocked, if it is running rich, something is stuck open. My concern, which was also expressed by others, is while your mechanics may be diligent and for the most part knowledgeable they, as we all do, have weak points and it seems that their area of deficiency is screwing up the jetting. At least your pistons seem to be OK. Good luck with this.

93bronco

Ensign

i can tell you that:<br />1) the air jets are reversed. #14 goes on bottom, #30 goes on top<br />2) those #s are not for a 1989 120/140. those #s seem to be like the set of 1985 140 carbs that i bought as spares. <br />i had a similar ? that no one answered.<br /> it was if you swapped an earlier set of carbs off a 1985 to 87 which has a smaller bore <3.50> to the 1988 newer larger bore <3.685> would you have to change jets? logic tells you yes,<br /> but the 1985 to 87 have a smaller carb throat, so how would swapping the jets from the 1988 & above carbs affect the performance of the smaller throat 1985 to 87 carbs being installed on the bigger bore 120/140 block?<br />-<br />that is way over my head but it is a good question because if mine go bad off my 1988 120/140 i have to use the 1985 140 carbs.<br />from what i know the carbs and throttle bodies are a matched set. and when compared from the 85 to 88 sets i have you can see the difference.<br />-<br />anyway this is not to confuse you but if you have numbers on the side plate list them here as i know those numbers tell what carbs you have.<br />-<br />did you at any time switch parts from an earlier 120/140 on to the 1989 you say it is rite now?

93bronco

Ensign

forgot, the high speed jet is in the fuel bowl behind the drain plug.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />The jets are definitely as I thought, 14 is the top and 30 is the bottom. The engine idles OK and no problem moving forwaard in idle too. I guess they just tweaked and tweaked until it was OK.<br /><br />I will see if I can get some part numbers in an hour or so.<br /><br />Thanks

93bronco

Ensign

according to parts manual the #14 should be on bottom and #30 on top. that would explain some of your mid throttle response.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K boat,<br /><br />That was quick :) <br /><br />Is the manual giving 14 and 30 as the correct sizes too?<br /><br />I think I will swap and see what impact that has. Is should be relatively safe??<br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have gotten, what I hope to be correct, some id's off the carbs.<br /><br />398743 is stamped on the side. On the small side cover are 2 other no's. 43833 and MX10BM.<br /><br />Just uncovered another problem. I swapped all the jets on 3 carbs. In one carb the jet will not unscrew. The whole brass bush is turning. Tried pulling the whole assembly out but all I am doing is pulling off pieces of brass. I was going to try it with 3 swapped but the tides are too low at the mo.<br /><br />Tyhe problem is how to remove the last jet.<br /><br />To to make sure I am orientated correctly. As I look at the carbs, the idle jet is the lowest ??<br /><br />NG

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2K Boat,<br /><br />I think you have almost solved this for me. I swapped the jets on 3 carbs and the engine is much more responsive. I can't remove the 4th as the jet is turning in the bush.<br /><br />I can now accelerate almost as before the rebuild, not quite instantanious, but I attriibute this to one carb needing a jet swap. The engine also reaches 5500 RPM, something it just wouold not do.<br /><br />I now need the stock jet sizes and then I hope this is the end of this long long saga.<br />? How do I ensure the tuning is optimal, by this I mean not running too lean?<br /><br />Appreciate all the help on this.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />NG

93bronco

Ensign

if its spinning someone over tightened it, the only thing i could say is try to pull it out carefully- if it will even come out. if it does-carefully try to hold insert with something to try and unscrew jet.<br />now whether you should try and resecure insert is a GOOD question??? and with what type of epoxy that is fuel/oil resistant.<br />then there is the fear that it could come back out.<br />i dont have any experience with these issues.-<br />-<br /> the numbers you need are the numbers on the side plate, check them all there should be atleast one good part number.<br />the #398743 isnt coming up, if that is stamped into carb body that would be a to generalized part number too identify hp/year of carb.<br />again if your motor is a 1989 those jet sizes are to low <br />- <br />but the numbers listed in the part manual for a 1985 140 carb are idle #14, intermediate #40 & high speed #59D<br />1985 120 are idle #14, inter #43 & high #57D<br />-<br />the #43833 is that all of the number?<br />-<br />hopefully clanton or dhadley will see this as they seem to be the experts.

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try and get the id's off the carb. I looked hard yesterday and that is all I came up with. It is definitely a 1989 model.<br /><br />I think a pin punch and a light tap whilst holding the jet may free it. Engine is much much better with the swapped jets though. Idle speed now needs some checking though - plus the right jets (stock???)<br /><br />Thanks - I feel I am getting somewhere at last :)