Getting Rid of Paid TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Getting Rid of Paid TV

There are certain shows that we record now on channels like Discovery, or History. Can I still get those shows and record? Or, does something like NetFlix do that?Thanks.
There is so much content on the web. Do a Google search for a particular show and see what videos pop up just in the search (we find entire seasons of some shows on YouTube).

YouTube, Amazon, Netflix and Hulu (at least) all subscription based or fee based programs. You can browse content without paying anything, so I would roll through there and see.

One thing that I will note - 'cuz I've seen it in both threads - you won't get away from advertising. YouTube and Hulu are both burying a level of advertising in their streams. Amazon and Netflix are more built like your old Blockbuster rental model - just without having to drive and pick up something physical - so there isn't really any advertising there now, but give it time ;)

The main thing I like about content over the web is control. I find it easier to find what I want/will watch and control when I want to watch it.

Last edited:

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, Thanks All. This is very intriguing.

Last Question.

There are certain shows that we record now on channels like Discovery, or History. Can I still get those shows and record? Or, does something like NetFlix do that?Thanks.

As mentioned selected shows are on Netflix and Amazon. As I looked through the channel store I noticed History and Discovery have launched channels so it is coming. Probably not the entire lineup, at least not for free.

The ability to offer their content, commercial free and for a few may finally be what breaks cable packaging. Like someone else said there are some shows I would pay a modest fee to see.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I picked up a Sony Blu Ray player at a local pawn shop, brand new in the box, never been opened for $25 and it is a smart player and streams everything that the stand alone boxes do, so I have not purchased a streaming box, just use the blu ray. I also have a separate computer set up in my bedroom with a blu ray player/burner in it, so I can save movies and such and burn them to blu ray to play in the TV room, has worked out quite well.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use an old media pc and netflix, whatever netflix doesnt have i can find via torrent files.

I havent had cable for 4 years.

My mom went with a Roku player 2 years ago and loves it..

jkust

Rear Admiral

My WD TV Live Plus Media Player's HDMI function stopped working all together now. What a hunk of junk. Now I'm forced to watch Netflix (at least in the bedroom tv) via component in 480. A quick search on the internet shows about a zillion people with this same problem from various Western Digital streaming boxes. Funny how many electronics out there have HDMI handshake and similar issues. This is what I worry about with my smart TV's....what happens when 5 years out the smart function quits working but the tv has many years left. Will be interesting to see how the ancillary functions persist.

I swung back around and looked at the Chromecast user reviews online now that it's been out longer and it gets its share of unhappy campers it seems too now...one big one is that there is no remote control and apparently Google has been clamping down on it's open source as well.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Funny how many electronics out there have HDMI handshake and similar issues. This is what I worry about with my smart TV's....what happens when 5 years out the smart function quits working but the tv has many years left. Will be interesting to see how the ancillary functions persist.

Which is exactly the reason I did not and will not buy a smart TV. If the streaming box dies I will throw it away and buy another one. Most modern electronics is not worth the repair labor fee.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The TV function itself is way more likely to die than the internet portion(Smart TV section). Should not be a concern. If worrying about electronics failing in devices we buy, there are a lot of things that you wouldn't buy anymore.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

Which is exactly the reason I did not and will not buy a smart TV. If the streaming box dies I will throw it away and buy another one. Most modern electronics is not worth the repair labor fee.

Funny how that is. The failure rate for TV's and associated components seems to pale in comparison to Audio Video Receivers aka AVR's. The AVR's have so many features on them now days plus lots of HDMI's. Lots of firmware issues that cause lots of problems too. My decision to purchase my AVR had a lot to do with how close the nearest authorized servicer is located. There is one shop in I think 5 states and it happens to be close to me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I swung back around and looked at the Chromecast user reviews online now that it's been out longer and it gets its share of unhappy campers it seems too now...one big one is that there is no remote control and apparently Google has been clamping down on it's open source as well.
I just read one negative review on Amazon that he was surprised you needed internet to use the device. Sometimes, the people that give one star reviews need to stay away from electricity.

The people complaining about not having remotes are equally dense. Isn't that the whole attraction that you don't need a remote and just use your smart phone? Of course there are people that own smart phones that have difficulty using them so maybe that's the problem.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Conversation kinda' cracks me up … the only "TV" I have/had in my house (just got rid of it) was the 19" the wife and I got when we got married 20 years ago :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Conversation kinda' cracks me up … the only "TV" I have/had in my house (just got rid of it) was the 19" the wife and I got when we got married 20 years ago :)
Goes well with your OMC Stringer!

:)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I just read one negative review on Amazon that he was surprised you needed internet to use the device. Sometimes, the people that give one star reviews need to stay away from electricity.

The people complaining about not having remotes are equally dense. Isn't that the whole attraction that you don't need a remote and just use your smart phone? Of course there are people that own smart phones that have difficulty using them so maybe that's the problem.

Yep like moving next to the airport then complaining that the planes are noisy. I gathered that some of the people were mad that third party apps for streaming local content that the Chromecast wasn't capable of but got used to using, were suddenly locked out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use my Platstation for streaming Amazon. When I first got it, it only did Netflix but they added Amazon at a later date. Chromecast is new. I am sure they will be making improvements. I would probably get Apple TV next if I bought anything.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I seriously considered the whole ditching cable and going streaming only thing but, I have three tvs on the digital economy package with High Speed internet and my bill is $77 per month, I also refused to sign a contract as well so maybe that plays in my favor. Comcast is unfortunately the only high speed provider in my area so I would still have to pay comcast and the rate on the internet would still go up

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Almost 4 years without TV.

I don't miss it.
Looks like it's just you'n me bro. Been at least that long for me. You do go through some withdrawals at first, but I don't miss it a bit.

If'n I feel the need for someone to lie to me, or patronize me, or insult my intelligence? All's I need do is go out in public ...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Pintos are cool, had a '73 wagon. Awesome winter driving machine.

TV sucks, makes you fat, broke, and stupid. (According to research.)

Status
Not open for further replies.