tahoe Q6 trailer brakes

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought my Q6 used, so I never had the owners manual. I installed a brake controller on my Tahoe vehicle and I believe for nothing. I found the tahoe trailer owners manual online, and found that the trailer has a built in actuator on the tongue that actuates the hydraulic brakes on the trailer when it senses the vehicle slowing down. I guess this means I can remove the brake controller? Any input on this out there?

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: tahoe Q6 trailer brakes

The trailer has "surge brakes". and doesn't use a controller. It has a 5 pin blade electrical connector and when you put your vehicle in reverse it will bypas the surge brakes and allow you to back up without locking up the brakes.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mccownk, I can always count on an answer from you. I`ll remove the controller.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you got your answer. I just got a Q5I today and got the same explaination about the trailer brakes. On mine there is a pin that you can remove and put in a hole on the trailer that will disingage the trailer brakes. That way if there is an issue with them you do not have to fight the trailer trying to break on you when you do not want it to.

skippy867

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like you got your answer. I just got a Q5I today and got the same explaination about the trailer brakes. On mine there is a pin that you can remove and put in a hole on the trailer that will disingage the trailer brakes. That way if there is an issue with them you do not have to fight the trailer trying to break on you when you do not want it to.

I have the same set up on my q4 , i have the adapter plug that includes reverse light which will by pass the selinod but they still lock up backing down the ramp or even backing it in the garage, i wish i could get mine to work so i dont have to insert the pin everytime

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I`ve got the 5 pin connector, and have never had the brakes lockup on reverse. I can only assume the brakes are working properly. It definately seems they are since my stopping distances are very short. My father and brotherinlaw recommend disconnecting the light harness when backing into the water to prevent shorts. I have done that, on several occasions with no lockup in reverse. Kinda makes me wonder if they are working now. What am I missing?

rdhawk1950

Seaman

The five pin plug is only to accomidate backup LIGHTS, the trailer brakes have NO electrical function. The locking of the brakes when backing, is normally caused by backing toward an up grade or up hill.Any time any type of up grade, sometime slightest, or up hill backing is required ,the pin at the tongue must be installed.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

The five pin plug is only to accomidate backup LIGHTS, the trailer brakes have NO electrical function. The locking of the brakes when backing, is normally caused by backing toward an up grade or up hill.Any time any type of up grade, sometime slightest, or up hill backing is required ,the pin at the tongue must be installed.

usually when trailers that have surge breaks have the 5 pin, the fifth pin is wired to the reverse lights. When the vehicle is put in reverse it activates a solenoid that causes the pressure to not go to the breaks when the actuator is compressed.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don`t know if my 06 Q6 is different, cause like I said, without the plug hooked up when backing into the water the brakes do not lockup. Maybe the brakes only operate when surging forward?

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everyone is right...sort of. It all depends on what type of surge brake system you have on your trailer. There are self backing type drum brakes that disengage while backing, there are disengage solenoids and of course you can disable your braking system (not recommended) by inserting the lock out pin.
Check out this website for everything you need to know about trailer braking systems.

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Maddog2112, yours is probably braking slightly when you disconnect your electrical plug and you are just overcoming the drag with your tow vehicle. Or, perhaps you may need to adjust your brakes on your trailer. You adjust them the same way you adjust car drum brakes by turning the star wheel on the inside of the wheel.

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The way I was told, is that backing doesn't cause the surge brake to kick in. But if you're backing uphill, or over a curb, then they may kick in. In that case, move the pin from behind/under the ball to a few inches back in the brake lock hole.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn`t think the 06 Q6 had a pin to move. I`m guessing the surge brakes either do not operate in reverse, or as Mccownk mentioned in an earlier post. My trailer brakes may need adjusting.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When backing down the boat ramp, the weight of the boat will keep the surge brakes from engaging. When backing on a flat suface or definately uphill the weight of the boat will start to engage the brakes. This is probably why you were told that you could disconnect your electrical connector while backing the boat into the water. I am not a big electrical guru but don't think that leaving the connector attached will hurt the 12 volt DC circuit. I am sure you will hear different opinions on that.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I broke out the owners manual. It says to remove the electrical connector while launching to reduce the risk of an electrical short and to make sure you reconnect it afterwards. It also shows to use the pin for the latch to put in a hole located on the drivers side of the tongue to lock out the braking system. It also says that trailers shipped with the flat 5 pin connector and equipped with drum brakes have the "free backing" type brakes. It also shows the wiring diagram for the brake bypass solenoid that is actuated with the back up lights circuit. Lastly is says to adjust the drum brakes after the first 300 miles and then annually or after each 1000 miles.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mccownk solved the issue. That is exactly what I was told yesterday when I picked up my Q5. I only had a 4 pin adapter and was told it did not matter the only thing the 5th pin did was disingage the brakes when backing. Tried to back the boat into my driveway that is at a pretty good incline and could not do it. Could hear the trailer brakes screeching though. That was my first hint I forgot to take the pin out and that I need to get the 5 pin adapter for my truck. Took the pin out, put it in the hole to disingage the brakes and had no issues after that.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

:DOnce again, thanks for all the help all. A special thanks to mccownk. I love this site.