Getting Rid of Paid TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This thread got me intrigued. I didn't want to hijack it.

http://forums.iboats.com/dockside-chat/getting-ready-cut-cord-636239.html

I have Direct TV and am happy with the video quality, etc.

However, I always ask myself: Why am I paying to watch advertising? We usually watch DVR recorded shows so we can zip through the ads. But, the service is still expensive.

Questions:

1. I have Direct TV and High Speed Internet through Qwest. Can I seperate the two?

2. How do you "stream" programs?

3. What equipment would I need to hook my TV to the internet?

Thanks.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Getting Rid of Paid TV

However, I always ask myself: Why am I paying to watch advertising? We usually watch DVR recorded shows so we can zip through the ads. But, the service is still expensive.

Questions:

1. I have Direct TV and High Speed Internet through Qwest. Can I seperate the two?

Thanks.

We went this route about 4 years ago. We had the Qwest/DirecTV/Internet combo...We had a Nintenedo Wii and got Netflix and found most of what we and the kids watched was on Netflix w/o commercial interruption. Netflix is like $8.00/month, we were paying $150/month for the high-def DirecTV. We put a cheap Radioshack aerial on the roof for local (HD) channels (12 total) and use the Wii as the source for Netflix.

As far as what you need to hook TV to internet, you need a internet ready box for streaming (Playstation, Wii, Google, Apple, Roku, etc..), the internet (preferably high speed?) and any online accounts you wish to watch (Netflix, Hulu, Hulu+, Youtube, etc...). It's actually really easy and plug and play, except antenna, that requires a little labor and safety.

You should be able to separate the internet from phone/tv? We use Centurylink (former Qwest) DSL as I loathe Comcast's service (even though they are typically fast speeds around here?).

~Brett

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost 4 years without TV.

I don't miss it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Questions:

Thanks.

There are lots of machinations on how to do what you seek. Certainly you can separate the satellite and the quest. Once you get a high speed internet connection, whichever type you want, the actual streaming is simple with a lot of caveats and many ways to do it. The easiest I suppose a smart tv which is a tv with a Roku or similar set of apps built in. I've got one set up like that among the multiple ways we stream. Else you can just go buy one of the many boxes as mentioned above or even a google play...connect it up either wirelessly or via Ethernet to your router and run an hdmi cable from the box to the tv unless it is a google play that just plugs into the tv and connects wireless to your internet. The thing with the boxes and the smart TV's though is that you are limited to the apps that are built in to some extent. Lots of people just go ahead and use an old PC or lap top as a dedicated HTPC or home theatre PC. See with an entertainment dedicated computer you can watch HULU for free and not have to pay for HULU Plus. You won't generally be able to easily access regular free HULU from one of the boxes by design but of course there is always a HULU Plus app that is a pay service. We mostly use Netflix but as an example, it seems that while the WII and other game system boxes actually have a browser...they can't play flash videos or so I have found so you just can't go to HULU and press play where as a PC can.

If you decide to buy a streaming box...I suggest buying from a place such as New Egg or even Amazon versus full retail at a Best Buy or similar. Pretty much every single piece of equipment except my TV's has come from the internet as substantial discounts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don't buy a streaming box. If you want to try something for the least amount of money, try this:
Chromecast

Turns any TV with an HDMI input into a smart TV and you can use your phone as the remote.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Don't buy a streaming box. If you want to try something for the least amount of money, try this:
Chromecast

Turns any TV with an HDMI input into a smart TV and you can use your phone as the remote.

Crap, that's what I meant when I typed google play. Not sure what Google Play even is..oops.

jkust

Rear Admiral

That's Android equivalent of the Apple iTunes App store.

Ha Ha. The Chromecast got rave reviews. Thinking about replacing my failing steaming player called the 'Western Digital TV Live plus Media Player' with one. Man I've had bad luck with Western Digital peripherals...both their streaming box and their back up hard drive have been pure frustration. I think it was like 20 bucks cheaper than Apple tv at the time and wished I had bought the Apple TV given only the two choices.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I tried out the Apple TV at a friends house. It's pretty nice. As usual, Apple does a very good job on the user interface.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Questions:

Thanks.

Most of the folks I chat with think the Roku or Apple TV are the best streaming devices. I own a Roku and you can buy one for $49-99. The install is painless and even works with older TVs. You have to buy the $79 or $99 model to get wireless and USB ports. Then all you need is a broadband Internet connection.

There are "free" movie channels with commercials. Netflix, Amazon and redbox Instant are the 3 best paid ones, no commercials, and all cost about $7-8 per month.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I tried out the Apple TV at a friends house. It's pretty nice. As usual, Apple does a very good job on the user interface.
I bought a 60" Samsung Smart TV for X-mas. I don't know how, but my daughter controls a lot of the content using their Iphone. I assume they set something up on the TV

The Op interface sucks using the remote. I need to breakdown and buy a keyboard for it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I bought a 60" Samsung Smart TV for X-mas. I don't know how, but my daughter controls a lot of the content using their Iphone. I assume they set something up on the TV

The Op interface sucks using the remote. I need to breakdown and buy a keyboard for it.
It's probably a Samsung app running on the iphone. I bought my mom a BluRay player(can't remember brand) last year and it can be controlled as well form the iPad using an app. It isn't worth using.

Did I interpret your statement correctly? Is it the app that was bad or the TV remote?

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It's probably a Samsung app running on the iphone. I bought my mom a BluRay player(can't remember brand) last year and it can be controlled as well form the iPad using an app. It isn't worth using.

Did I interpret your statement correctly? Is it the app that was bad or the TV remote?
The apps work well. The TV is nothing more than a 60" tablet. Typing to log a account by moving the "push button" cursor 3 columns to the left and down 4 rows, hit "enter" button for the letter "C" then back up 2 rows and over 5 for the letter "l" suxs. Need to order the wireless keyboard and mouse

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The apps work well. The TV is nothing more than a 60" tablet. Typing to log a account by moving the "push button" cursor 3 columns to the left and down 4 rows, hit "enter" button for the letter "C" then back up 2 rows and over 5 for the letter "l" suxs. Need to order the wireless keyboard and mouse
OK...that makes more sense now.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Proceed with caution Samsung and wireless KBs have some compatibility problems.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

In my experience, the Samsungs LED are nice TV's for the money. We purchased 2 (to replace our LCD JVC), because we're off an antenna, the little receiver (not sure of the correct name, it's the part of the TV that gets the incoming OTA signal) was not strong enough to pick-up the local HD channels via aerial. Samsung sent a technician out to replace the part, thinking maybe it was just that particular TV...turned out to be a bad design (inferior design) for those using antennas. We replaced with another Samsung model, had same issue...we returned and ended up with a Sony Bravia LED. I would say this is an a local issue as we live in hilly part of Colorado Springs and the antenna for the local HD stuff in not in direct view...however, the JVC and our other Sony had no issues receiving the signal?!

The Samsung did have the ability to play movies directly off my separate hard drive...of which I have 1,000's of movies on, so that was awesome...the Sony does not :(

jkust

Rear Admiral

Of all of our streaming devices...we use only one app being Netflix. That said, I took a chance and bought a new entrant into the smart tv market called Hisense. They are household name in other countries and are the OEM manufacturer for the parts the other brands use to build their TV's. They are less expensive than a name brand such as Samsung and budget brands because the make their own components as opposed to a Vizio and other brands that cuts corners be in the budget price line versus being vertically integrated. I've recommended them to many other people but where the rubber meets the road is when you get into whole house audio and a bit more serious sound where the number of Inputs and outputs are concerned. Connections that you don't even realize you need and usually never use or ignore become highly important. In addition, there are some high end TV's out there that won't output 5.1 sound from their build in apps which people learn too late because it isn't in the specs...the Hisense does (some Samsungs did not). Whole house audio and higher end sound became my newest hobby in 2013. Along with that comes learning about all kinds of connections and streaming. Hisense made a big splash at CES last year and this year built the ROKU into their TV's as shown at this year's CES.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've only paid for cable TV 1.5 years of my life. That was back in my 20's when I split the bill with my roommate.
I have an antenna and can get NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, a weather channel, and a few more. If there's nothing good on there I turn the TV off. It spends a lot of time off.
I can't imagine spending $60 to $100 every month, year after year, for cable.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I haven't told the whole truth actually. Many years ago my wife negotiated a full cable package as part of her job as totally crazy as that sounds. That probably lasted 3 years. Then many years later when we moved into our next house, the awesome cable package the previous owners had just never stopped when we moved in. That probably lasted 3 or so years until one day it just stopped. Those years were all when CRT tv were the only tv. Technically we did have some time with cable content. I still have fond memories of the History Channel.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, Thanks All. This is very intriguing.

Last Question.

There are certain shows that we record now on channels like Discovery, or History. Can I still get those shows and record? Or, does something like NetFlix do that?Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.