Adjusting Trim depending on load - 9.9Hp Evinrude '76

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
I am curious if anyone adjusts the trim on their smaller, tiller type motors, to account for various loads. My motor has about 5 holes, I think, in the transom bracket that adjust the trim of the motor to the boat. I currently have the adjustment rod in the hole closest to the boat transom and when I am alone, it is pretty much perfect. When another person is with me in the front seat the boat tends to point a little down in the front and I end up plowing away a tonne of water, to move forward. I try to move things around like my trolling battery and gas tank but was wondering if people use this trim adjust for this purpose and if so, do you have any rules of thumb or adjustment suggestions?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Adjusting Trim depending on load - 9.9Hp Evinrude '76

I never mess with mine for fear of losing it in the drink. I wish they were made like the old 9.5's where you just pushed in and turned. I just find the best spot for the majority of my boating and leave it there.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, if you move that up a hole or 2 it should help alot, when I had my tiller motor I messed with that all the time.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's what the trim adjustment is there for, one easy adjustment rather than repacking everything in the boat. Of course you should try to have the weight evenly distributed front to back and side to side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My small fishing boat required different hole settings depending upon how many people were in the boat. I put a Doelfin on it and set it for me alone in the boat, and now it runs perfect all the time no matter who is with me.