GAP BETWEEN CAP AND HULL AT TRANSOM

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
A short greeting to all Forum members which includes a "late" Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. As always, I appreciate all the intelligent input. Holiday's and weather of course put the boat on the back burner, however the cap is finally in place on the hull. Have about 10 screws on both sides in place and it seems everything will line up OK.

During the demo, I had to cut away a little too much material to separate the cap from and hull at the transom. I have built up the area and replaced /reformed some of the fiberglass in that area. I will clean up the ragged edges as I move forward. However, there is a small gap where the cap sits over the transom.

As can be seen in the following photos, the gap is actually less than 1/8" wide.

My question is: Should I use Peanut Butter, 3M 4200, 3M 5200 or 3M Marine Grade Silicone to fill in the gap.

If the consensus is Peanut Butter, would you go with Jif or Peter Pan, smooth or crunchy? :laugh:

Looking forward to all the great information that is usually volunteered her on the Forum,
Thanks again to all.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have never had good lucky using the crunchy peanut butter. It does not spread as well as the smooth.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah Ted, I agree. I figured the pieces of peanuts would cause gaps. LOL, Seriously, I thought I saw something on here sometime back where it was recommended to use PB, instead of any of the sealers/adhesives, but couldn't remember for sure. Problem with getting old.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, that's a "For Sure" project for Good Ole' Creamy Smooth Peanut butter. I'd mix it a bit thin (More like mayonaise) to make sure it gets back in that small crack. I'd also mix in just a bit of 1/4" chopped strand to make it bit more structural.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks you old Okie...glad to see you are still upright. Actually I had planned to remove the screws along the sides and lift the cap a little, run a nice large layer of PB, then lower the cap. Figure it will squeeze out and fill in all the little imperfections. Just need a little warmer weather,:smow: As always, thanks for the reply.