Freshwater Mussels?

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Freshwater Mussels?

Kevin, are you interested in any from Central PA???? The river below lake Raystown holds a bunch ... have cooked them before, tasty but too rubbery to do it again ... but when it gets warmer I can get you some shells. PM me with details if interested.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Kevin,

Once again... Sorry for the delay. I had told you that I'd send the shells to you by the end of last week, and it didn't happen. I'm really sorry.

I just finished packing them up to ship. I will bring them to the post office today.

I had no idea how fragile they would become when dry. They didn't seem too much more delicate than marine mussels when I collected them. Unlike marine mussels, the shells become very brittle when they dry completely. If I'd known this, I would have hand dried them with a towel and packed them immediately after removing them from the water. some of them have broken and cracked. I packed them carefully in bubble wrap and lined the inside of the box with additional bubble wrap. I hope this is enough protection... If not, let me know and I'll be happy to get more and send them (in a more timely manner:rolleyes:).

The clam shells did not dry out and become brittle like the mussel shells.

I also included five small freshwater coneshells. I thought you might like to have some examples of what is probably one of their predators... Just a hypothesis.;)

Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm sending you. OK... Maybe not. I'm having trouble uploading the pics. I'll work on that.

In the meantime... You had stated in your thread that you would be happy to pay for the expenses. I've enclosed an invoice in the box with the shells. It of course does not include the actual postage of the package because I havn't sent it yet. You can just add that to the invoice total. You seem like an honorable person, judging by your posts, so I'll just trust you on this.

I figure, since I was going to the lake house anyway, it would be unfair to charge you for all the gas to get there and back home; so I'm only billing you for half the gas, which came to $37.43 The waterproof boots were $189.95 The "Rip Guard" rubber gloves were $36.95 The guide to dangerous freshwater species (which I of course needed to learn what I may be up against) was only 79.95 for the comprehensive version (didn't want to take any chances being caught ill-informed) The consultation fees for the Army Corp of Engineers biologist was $385.00 The bubble wrap was 8.99 The box was 2.99 Since I was of course doing this in my time off work, I thought it would only be fair to bill at my overtime rate of pay... Adding all the time including research and consultation with the biologist prior to the actual collection, my fee for time spent is only $545.81 for a total of $1287.07 which may be paid in full upon receipt, or as stated on the invoice, Net 30 Days. I do not accept personal nor business checks. A tellers check or money order will be fine since it is unsafe to sent cash.

I hope you enjoy your shells!!!:D

PS: If it does turn out that you need me to send more, due to breakage, the next invoice will not require the Army Corp of Engineers Biologist consultation, nor the book, boots or gloves, as I already know everything necessarry from the first consultation, and I still have the book, boots, and gloves.;)

Please understand, if I were charging an actual fee for the shells themselves (which would just be greedy) I would not only deduct the actual fee for the broken shells; I would also give you an additional one time discount on all additional shells sent with that shipment.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Trolling, trolling, trolling....

hahahahahahahahahaha

aspeck

Staff member

Nice invoice, VH! However, I think you were unfair to charge the full overtime fee, since you were doing this for an iboats friend. I think a compromise between full pay and overtime pay would have been more in line with the "friend" rate, unless it is a friend you don't like, then double overtime pay is required, but that is really mute at this point, isn't it??? :facepalm:

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if it's a federal law, but do know that, in Ohio, it is illegal to collect wild freshwater mussels, or clams, dead or alive. They have been an endangered species for some time now. I guess people used the shells to make a type of mother of pearl, and they would collect live ones the same as the dead ones. After they die, it's impossible for the Game Warden to tell if you picked them dead, or, killed them, so, possesion of either is illegal. Maybe check your local laws before hand?

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

:eek: :) :) :) :) :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much!! I look forward to them!!!!

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello aspeck, I am absolutely interested in any shells you might find in Central PA! There are many interesting species that occur in Rivers from the Sussquehanna to the Allegheny/French Creek area. The eastern edge are primarily atlantic slope species and the western edge becomes Ohio River species. I would love to see any empty shells you might come across. Yes, it is a bit cold right now. But I will be just as delighted to see what you might find come spring/summer. Thanks so much for your offer to help!

Kevin, are you interested in any from Central PA???? The river below lake Raystown holds a bunch ... have cooked them before, tasty but too rubbery to do it again ... but when it gets warmer I can get you some shells. PM me with details if interested.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

PS, I'll let you know when the arrive and what you found. Yes, some can be very fragile (particularly a lake/pond family called "floaters"). At least 2 different of that type of species occurs in Georgia. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what started breaking by simply drying out. At any rate, at $1287.07, I'm sure what your sending will be a steal!!! ;)

aspeck

Staff member

At any rate, at $1287.07, I'm sure what your sending will be a steal!!! ;)
Hear that, VH ... he's gonna try and steal 'em now! Be careful! LOL!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Trolling, trolling, trolling....

hahahahahahahahahaha
Trolling???:confused:... Are you under the impression that this is a Joke?

Nice invoice, VH! However, I think you were unfair to charge the full overtime fee, since you were doing this for an iboats friend. I think a compromise between full pay and overtime pay would have been more in line with the "friend" rate, unless it is a friend you don't like, then double overtime pay is required, but that is really mute at this point, isn't it???
I believe your right, aspeck. I'll certainly put more thought into my billing practices in the future. Although he's already been billed, and he's aknowledged the billing without dispute; I am going to adjust the amount billed for my time to a compromised rate as you've suggested. What's right is right.

Thanks so much!! I look forward to them!!!!

PS, I'll let you know when the arrive and what you found. Yes, some can be very fragile (particularly a lake/pond family called "floaters"). At least 2 different of that type of species occurs in Georgia. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what started breaking by simply drying out. At any rate, at $1287.07, I'm sure what your sending will be a steal!!! ;)

Hear that, VH ... he's gonna try and steal 'em now! Be careful! LOL!
I'm not worried; see what I've highlighted in red? He's not only acknowledged the invoice amount; but expresses satisfaction. I'm sure it will be paid. I've given the option of Net 30. After 30 days, if I've recieved no payment I'll simply let him know that after 90 days, I'll file a claim with Magistrate Court (Small Claims Court). I'm not the kind of person who would give this to a collection agency. I feel that's really harrassment... Not my style.;)

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I don't know if it's a federal law, but do know that, in Ohio, it is illegal to collect wild freshwater mussels, or clams...

This is due to overharvesting by grass-roots reapers who sell to the button manufacturing market most of the time.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Kevin,

I've just responded to your PM.

I'm not sure when I'll be going back to the lake house. I'm doing a lot of work right now which, unfortunately has not been leaving me with time to do any of the liesurely things I'd like to do... Such as going to the lake house.:( It won't be too long, though. I simply can't stay away from there for very long.

I'm really glad that I've actually sent rare species. As you've stated in your PM to me, these two species are obviosly not rare at Lake Seminole.

I will be MORE than happy to collect more shells for you. Not only will it be my pleasure to do so... It's rather profitable!!!:rolleyes: Being that these are rare species, this could mean much higher invoices. But given the fact that they are so plentiful, and easily collected right at our dock; and taking into consideration the law of supply and demand, I simply couldn't in good conscience, impose any increased rates... Besides, I'm no law breaker.:)

Anyway, next time I'm there, I'll be prepared with Zip-Lock bags for the purpose of wet packing the shells. I'll fill and wrap the shells with either paper towels wet with lake water, or smooth linen wet with lake water and seal them in the Zip-locks.

How was the packing in the box I sent to you? Did you get a fair amount of unbroken shells?

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Your packing was fine. I think most breakage was at least started before shipment. There isn't too much to do with super fragile floaters, especially if the cracking has started before they get sent through the mail. I suppose if you are putting in one that seems really fragile and without cracks that you really want to make it to me undamaged, you can put tissue around it first before putting in the bubble wrap. This would lessen possibility of movement and potentially colliding with other shells (and gives an extra little buffer in the bubble wrap). The freshest dead shells were not surprisingly the ones who arrived in the best condidtion (as they had less erosion to their shells - hense being more robust). But like I said, you can only do so much conveniently to protect super fragile things. And, again, I can't thank you enough for your help!
-Kevin

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Hey, I live in Muscle Shoals on the Tennessee River.

You used to see divers in the river harvesting mountains of mussels, but they've just about disappeared the last couple of years. They would send the shells to the orient for jewelry. They'd also look for fresh water pearls when cleaning the shells. The shallow waters of the river are mussel beds--5' of water in the mud. They're some stinky things.

They named this place before they knew how to spell the name right.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me. I wanted very much to share the information in your PM on the forum; but I would never post a PM on the open forum without permission from the sender. In the future, other than the exchange of sensitive information, such as addresses, email addresses, or phone numbers, we should just stick with the forum.

So, thank you again for the permission to post your PM on the forum. You've shared some very interesting knowledge which I'm sure others will find interesting as well.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by KMC
Hello Van,
no I'm a joker too! I laughed at your shipping quote! I was not even slightly offended. What I unfortunately am is deliquent some times on the world wide web! I am sorry about that. I was very very happy with what you sent me. There are 4 total species. I don't know what the snails are yet, but I'll figure it out. I am not as knowledgeable with gastropods. Of the bivalves, 2 are the native freshwater mussels that I study (the smaller sturdy triangular specimens are invasive Asian Clams). But both of the native mussels are new species for me to study. The really really thin more flattened species is one of two Utterbackia species endemic to the S. GA/FL region. One is called the Florida Floater (U. peggyae), and the other is called the Peninsular Floater (U. peninsularis). Both are relatively rare (but apparently one of them is not rare at your lake thankfully!). So I have to work on figuring out which of those two species you sent, and the second species (which is more inflated and has a "rougher" brown skin) is called the Southern Rainbow (Villosa vibex). This is another new species for me to learn about. If you ever get a chance to find more of either of these two species (particularly the former as alot of the floaters were broken), I would love to see them. They are very interesting to me and if its not too inconvenient for you, I would love to study more examples. Plus its another $1000+ pay day! ;) Either way, thanks so much for this help (and never stop joking! - people are sadly too easily offended).
-Take care, Kevin
Some time during the next month or so, I'm sure I'll be going to the lake house. As previously stated, It'll be my pleasure to get more shells for you.

My two sons thought it was great that I was doing this. My eight year old understood that I was doing this for someone on iboats who is studying these animals. He admires the fact that I help people whom I'm never met. He loves knowing that I'm a paramedic, and help injured and sick people all the time. When he sees and participates in doing things such as I've done for you, it becomes very obvious that he's not only gaining, but already has a fairly clear understanding that life is much bigger than just him, or our family... that others matter just as much. He sees that he can make a positive difference in the lives of others. My three year old just thought collecting the shells was cool.:D

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Your packing was fine. I think most breakage was at least started before shipment. There isn't too much to do with super fragile floaters, especially if the cracking has started before they get sent through the mail. I suppose if you are putting in one that seems really fragile and without cracks that you really want to make it to me undamaged, you can put tissue around it first before putting in the bubble wrap. This would lessen possibility of movement and potentially colliding with other shells (and gives an extra little buffer in the bubble wrap). The freshest dead shells were not surprisingly the ones who arrived in the best condidtion (as they had less erosion to their shells - hense being more robust). But like I said, you can only do so much conveniently to protect super fragile things. And, again, I can't thank you enough for your help!
-Kevin
Hey Kevin,

There were indeed, a lot of shells which were cracked prior to packing. Some were split wide open. None were cracked nor broken when I collected them. I had never given any thought to the fragility of the shells when I collected them. They were pretty sturdy when still wet.

The next package I send should have no broken shells. I'm pretty sure I've got this under control now.

I understand that you feel that what this is costing you is "a steal", but at any rate, you should at least receive unbroken shells.;) ...Besides, you may not think the next invoice is such a steal!!!:eek::p:rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member

Man, I can't wait for the weather to break so I can enjoy some wading in the Juniata River at $1,000+ per day!!!! Come on spring!!!!!