Freshwater Mussels?

KMC

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Freshwater Mussels?

Hello Micahhaase,
I would be very excited to see anything that you might find! There are lots of interesting species that occur in Oklahoma and I have not personally seen any of them. There would be much to learn! Thanks so much for this help. I look forward to hearing from you.
-Take care, Kevin

I'm Pretty sure I've seen quite a few here in oklahoma.... We usually beach the pontoon and the kids play by the shore and are always finding "sea shells"
which are old mussels. Next time im out ill try to find some to bring back..If you need some that live in red dirt.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much! Yes, there is definitely a possibility for different species in different environments. Not knowing the lake from direct experience I cannot say, however, the lakes with the richest diversity in Massachusetts can have as many as 8 different freshwater mussel species. That's pretty good up in these parts as there are really only 12 total species in New England's north Atlantic slope. This is different from say a body of water in Tennessee or Alabama that could have as many as 40+ different species.

Kevin,
Next time I'm up I will see what I can get for you. There's a good chance I may be going diving to rescue a stuck mooring. If I see any empty shells in the clay I will pick them up for you. I imagine there may be some difference between the mussels found in the clay beds as opposed to the ones found in the sand bars, who knows though.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Jack,
just thought I'd pop in and see if you were able to find any mussels during the warm weather months at your place. I am still very interested in anything you might find.
-Thanks again, Kevin

Hello, I have a place in Monticello Indiana, On freeman lake. My kids pick these up all the time and "skip" them. The water is a little hard now but in the late spring we can send ya a few.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

there is a pond in Brimfield that has mussel beds.....it was on just one side though....I have not checked the area this year as its weedy getting into it....but I do see some shell piles on the shore at times

Al

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Al,
thank you for the heads up! I have not explored any areas in Brimfield yet. I will have to take a look sometime soon to see what mussels might be occuring there.
-Take care, Kevin

there is a pond in Brimfield that has mussel beds.....it was on just one side though....I have not checked the area this year as its weedy getting into it....but I do see some shell piles on the shore at times

Al

RogersJetboat454

Commander

KMC,
I picked up a couple of shells at said Third Beach (Sebago lake) this past holiday weekend. The hinges broke during transport, but the shells are still matched. Still interested? Let me know. I am going back up again in another couple weeks. If I make it over to the beach, I will see if I can find more for ya.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Sure I'm still interested to see what you found at the lake. But feel free to hold on them if you are going to check for more, that way if you find more you can send them all out at once to minimize shipping/packing costs. Thanks again for this help! I really appreciate it.
-Take care, Kevin

KMC,
I picked up a couple of shells at said Third Beach (Sebago lake) this past holiday weekend. The hinges broke during transport, but the shells are still matched. Still interested? Let me know. I am going back up again in another couple weeks. If I make it over to the beach, I will see if I can find more for ya.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Its been over a year, its time for a bump. Hope the fish have been jumping on the hooks for everyone!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Are you still looking for some shells Kevin?

If so, they're going to drop a lake near me down to winter level at the end of the month (Oct.) and there should be plenty on the shore line. I just have to get them before the heavy rains wash them back in and the shell hunters get them.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Jigngrub,
I am absolutely still looking for shells (particularly from Alabama where there are so many interesting species - all of which would be new to me!). So this is wonderful news to my ears! I very much look forward to hearing from you again when they drop the lake level. Hopefully you find a whole bunch big and small. I can't thank you enough for this help!
-Take care, Kevin

Are you still looking for some shells Kevin?

If so, they're going to drop a lake near me down to winter level at the end of the month (Oct.) and there should be plenty on the shore line. I just have to get them before the heavy rains wash them back in and the shell hunters get them.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jigngrub,
just thought I'd check in to see if they did drop the lake level and you had any luck. Believe me, I''m not trying to be a busy-body. I just know from my own experience that life gets busy, and freshwater mussels is not at the top of the "on my mind" list. So I figured checking in is always a good thing. Would love to see any Alabama mussels you might find, WHENEVER you get a chance to find them.
-Thanks so much again for you help, Kevin

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Hey KMC,

My In-Laws have a house on Lake Seminole, on the Georgia side. There are usually empty shells scattered around their dock at the shore and close by in the water. Next time I'm there, I'll pick some up for you.

Send me a PM with the address to which you'd like them sent.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Oops, replied to wrong responder. Didn't know how to delete.:confused:

Last edited:

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

This is wonderful news! I will send you a pm.
-Thanks, Kevin

Hey KMC,

My In-Laws have a house on Lake Seminole, on the Georgia side. There are usually empty shells scattered around their dock at the shore and close by in the water. Next time I'm there, I'll pick some up for you.

Send me a PM with the address to which you'd like them sent.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Still collecting, good to know, I'll try to collect some, they aren't uncommon here, we just don't go looking for them very often.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

I am very happy to hear! I've been trying unsucessfully to find someone to provide some of the unique west coast native mussel species. I look forward to any you might find.
-thanks, Kevin

Still collecting, good to know, I'll try to collect some, they aren't uncommon here, we just don't go looking for them very often.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again,
just thought I'd check in to see if you had any luck finding mussels? Would love to hear from you.
-Thanks again, Kevin

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I haven't been to the section of river where they thrive in a while.

We get them in two ways, one is to find them on a sandy beach where a small animal has used them as a snack. The other is when fishing, as your lure travels near the bottom they will frequently close on it if it touches them and you reel them in. A buddy did get several while fishing the other day, but I don't think you want the live ones. LOL

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, no live ones needed. Well, hopefully might come across some empty ones sometime.
-Thanks, Kevin

I haven't been to the section of river where they thrive in a while.

We get them in two ways, one is to find them on a sandy beach where a small animal has used them as a snack. The other is when fishing, as your lure travels near the bottom they will frequently close on it if it touches them and you reel them in. A buddy did get several while fishing the other day, but I don't think you want the live ones. LOL

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

This is wonderful news! I will send you a pm.
-Thanks, Kevin
Hey Kevin,

I Got back from the lake house late last night. I've got a bunch of shells (unbroken pairs) to send to you. I picked various sizes to send to you. Some of the small ones look like clams, the larger ones, mussels. I've got your address. I'll be mailing them to you this week. Sorry it's taken so long.