Freshwater Mussels?

KMC

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,
I am a student studying American freshwater mussels. I live in Massachusetts where unfortunately there are not that many mussels to find. I am looking for people who come across the little (sometime not so little) buggers when outdoors. I am only looking for dead/spent/empty shells, not live ones. I would love anyone who finds the muskrat/raccoon middens on the side of the rivers/lakes (or how ever they come across the mussels) to box up a bunch of paired fellas big and small and send them my way. I collect and study and write about all the different species. I'm not concered about big or small, the more different ones the better. Anyone who would be able to help me with my studies by just picking up a bunch of the ones you find while fishing would be a HUGE help in my studies. I would certainly compensate you for your effort and of course pay for shipping too. The only requirements would be that you provide matching paired (not single) valves and that they are not totally broken (they don't have to be absolutely perfect with no chips at all, but the cleaner with their natural "skin" the better). I've been trying to make contacts with people across the country that naturally run into mussels while out fishing or hiking that might be able to just pick up shells they come across without it being a big hassle for them. I can't thank enough anyone who would consider assisting me with this project. You can contact me through this site Thank You!!!!! And good fishing!!!
-Kevin

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Freshwater Mussels?

Kevin, Welcome to iboats. You may display your email in your profile but not on the board in the thread.

Come on over to VT and visit Lake Champlain or many of the other lakes (when there is no ice) and you will see we are infested with zebra mussels.

Bob

catfishcharlie

Seaman Apprentice

I see a bunch of those things buried into the bank of Old River, down here in Texas. Strange thing , if I bankfish in the winter when the tide is way down, every once in a while you can see them squirt little bits of water up out of their shell. In some areas there are giant shell banks on the sides of the river. Old timers tell that that is where the indians in this area shucked em on the bank. I cant really say cause I've never seen any Indians out there while I was fishin.
But dont ya think they would get a little rotten in the mail and leak that stink all over the place? I dont know what they are called but Zebra Mussles could describe them a little. Catfish Charlie

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Catfish Charlie,
yeah I'd imagine sending live (soon to be dead) mussels from Texas all the way to Massachusetts would be a sure way to stink up the place! No, I'm not looking for live ones, just paired examples of the dead shells. If you came across some at the Old River fishing spot you visit, I would definitely be interested. I don't have any from Texas! Though I'm not looking for the little one inch Asian clams or the infesting Zebra mussels (which are under an inch usually). These are not really freshwater mussels, they are invasive species killing our freshwater mussels. But basically if you find a fresh water clam an it bigger than a inch, chances are its the kind of mussel I want. Let me know if you think you can collect any for me. I would really appreciate it.
-Thanks, Kevin

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

... And I'm sorry Bob about breaking the rules with the email address. I need to read my rules better! Thanks for the Champlain invite. Unfortunately, I'm trying to find all the native mussels the Zebra mussels are killing. Luckily they are still around in the rivers connected to the Lake. ... for now at least!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No harm no foul. ;)

I have seen full size mussel shells along the shores however they are just remains of what had been eaten by birds or whatever. I have never seen a fresh water mussel (alive) in the streams or lakes.

Best of luck on your research.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to pick them up as kids in West Virginia easily a foot across and three pounds. I forget the name of the river.

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Adjuster,
I think the heyday of finding freshwater mussels by the pound is over. There are a few places where they still thrive. However, if you ever find yourself any where you find dead mussel shells (large or small) on the shore I would definitely be interested. I do not have any mussels from West Virginia and would love to add them to collection. As I said, I will definitely provide you with the shipping cost and whatever other compensation you feel fair for you effort. It would be a huge help to see mussel species from West Virginia for my studies. Thanks so much.
-Take care, Kevin

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Well, the only place I've seen them live was in the Winooski River near Lake Champlain, but I needed to snorkel to accomplish this. But dead ones aren't such a bad thing to find, because that means they must have been alive somewhere around there no too long ago. But those Zebra mussels are sure putting the squeeze on them! But when it gets warmer and if you do find a bunch of dead native mussel shells and don't mind sending them my way, this actually would be useful for my studies. I'm trying to study the species without having to mess with live examples.
-Take care, Kevin

No harm no foul. ;)

I have seen full size mussel shells along the shores however they are just remains of what had been eaten by birds or whatever. I have never seen a fresh water mussel (alive) in the streams or lakes.

Best of luck on your research.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have any from Tennessee , I'd be happy to send you all you want .
Going to have to wait untill the rivers drop though , we just got ~ 8" of rain ...

PM me .

I find them all the time , all sizes and species . Back in the day I used to eat them along with crayfish .
They also made great fish bait .

I no longer eat them or use them for bait ( mussels , not the crayfish :D ) , due to so many species being endangered , and concerns over pollution .

Welcome to the board .

catfishcharlie

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Catfish Charlie,
yeah I'd imagine sending live (soon to be dead) mussels from Texas all the way to Massachusetts would be a sure way to stink up the place! No, I'm not looking for live ones, just paired examples of the dead shells. If you came across some at the Old River fishing spot you visit, I would definitely be interested. I don't have any from Texas! Though I'm not looking for the little one inch Asian clams or the infesting Zebra mussels (which are under an inch usually). These are not really freshwater mussels, they are invasive species killing our freshwater mussels. But basically if you find a fresh water clam an it bigger than a inch, chances are its the kind of mussel I want. Let me know if you think you can collect any for me. I would really appreciate it.
-Thanks, Kevin
they are bigger than an inch or so,,,I will go down to the river in a day or two. I just got back to texas from Chicago...you are saying you want some after they are dead and dry...but you would like a matched set, still attached? send me your address or some place you want them sent...send to [

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

they are bigger than an inch or so,,,I will go down to the river in a day or two. I just got back to texas from Chicago...you are saying you want some after they are dead and dry...but you would like a matched set, still attached? send me your address or some place you want them sent...send to []

Yes, usually the mussels are still attached after they die. If they dry up enough, the ligament holding them together can then break easily, but as long as the two halves match, that is just as good for my studies. Anything you could send would be wonderful. I don't want to break anymore forum rules so I will send you a personal message with my address.
-Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

KMC

Seaman Apprentice
Freshwater Mussels?

I thought some people might want to see freshwater mussel examples. This is a good bunch:

barhardt_mussels.jpg

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen some of them up here in Oregon. But it seems to me the Raccoons and the River Otters haven?t been to far off.

Might they be looking for dinner?

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

I have seen some of them up here in Oregon. But it seems to me the Raccoons and the River Otters haven?t been to far off.

Might they be looking for dinner?

Hello sturdavj,
that's exactly it. Muskrats, Raccoons and River Otters love to make a meal of them (and recently to my surprise, I found out wild Hogs!). The picture I posted is from either an otter or muskrat midden in the midwest. Well, if you ever come across a nice River Otter meal up in your parts and wouldn't mind sharing the spent shells with me, I would really appreciate it.
-Take care, Kevin

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Beerfilter,
I thought I'd check in since its finally getting warmer out there. Did you ever get a chance to find some mussel shells? I'm still chomping at the bit at the idea of what you might find in Tennessee. Hope all is well with you!
-Take care, Kevin

If you don't have any from Tennessee , I'd be happy to send you all you want .
Going to have to wait untill the rivers drop though , we just got ~ 8" of rain ...

PM me .

I find them all the time , all sizes and species . Back in the day I used to eat them along with crayfish .
They also made great fish bait .

I no longer eat them or use them for bait ( mussels , not the crayfish :D ) , due to so many species being endangered , and concerns over pollution .

Welcome to the board .

timalabim

Seaman

We see quite a few up in Sebago Lake Maine. Be a month or so before we get up there but if you're interested we sure could snag some for you.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

There is a pond In Brimfield Mass. that has a lot of mussels...I see piles of them when I go fishing..I guess the raccoons eat them and leave piles of shells....I can see them in the shallow water also.... oh..it is called Sherman pond

Al

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Maybe I am being picky but the idea of shipping anything from one place to another as far as zebra mussels or native freshwater mussels concerns me. For one things it is against the law to transport zebras, and with VHS and other things we may not even know about yet, even native species might not be best to ship around for any purpose. My 2c

KMC

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Mark,
you having nothing to fear in this sense. For starters, I am only looking for people to find dead/empty shells of native mussels (not the invasives like the zebra mussel or asian clam). I do not want any native species even bothered, let alone harmed. And even if the empty shells did somehow contain anything live after shipment (which a can't imagine what - zebra mussels cannot survive long out of water any more than native mussels can), these shells are going into a dry collection in my lab and will never touch water again. Believe me, my studies are all about preserving our native mussel species and the health of our watersheds in general.
-Take care, Kevin

Maybe I am being picky but the idea of shipping anything from one place to another as far as zebra mussels or native freshwater mussels concerns me. For one things it is against the law to transport zebras, and with VHS and other things we may not even know about yet, even native species might not be best to ship around for any purpose. My 2c