Four winns question info please

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all I have a four winns 1999 horizon 170 with a 115 Johnson. My question is there wood in the transom and stringers ? I’ve seen other posts but it’s never been a straight answer. I’m not having any problem with the boat but I’m just wondering what’s lying underneath. The boat does have snap in carpets with a full fiberglass tub interior. Now I’ve seen articles and the original advertisement for the 1999 boats and under my boat, it shows full fiberglass construction. any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if the boat is full of flotation foam? If the boat took on water would it ever sink or would it just go below the waterline. Thanks.

matt167

Captain
It has to have foam per USCG. 1999 is new enough it may have some composites in the structure but probably not everything

tpenfield

Staff member
You are right about the not-so-straight answers . . . Folks don't really know, and the manufacturers keep quiet about the details of construction. Drilling a few small test holes in the stringers & transom from within the inside of the hull will tell the story.

A 17 foot boat will have foam flotation.