Florida South Georgia Boaters need a party Now with Dates 6/21-6/23/2013

nlain

Commander
How about the Florida South Georgia boaters. Are we going to do anything this year, we had a couple of gatherings, made some friends and it is time to get us together again, some may not be able to make it, others can, maybe even some new friends may join. We need some suggestions for things we can do together.

Last edited:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Florida South Georgia Boaters need a party

How about the Florida South Georgia boaters. Are we going to do anything this year, we had a couple of gatherings, made some friends and it is time to get us together again, some may not be able to make it, others can, maybe even some new friends may join. We need some suggestions for things we can do together.

I am up for a good time, Just need some notice so we can take off work. Dont know anything about Georgia waterways but I would be open to pretty much anywhere within a days travel.

kfa4303

Banned

I'm game! I live in Tallahassee, and there's lots of great spots near here (Lake Talquin, Wakulla River, Wakulla Beach, St. Marks River and Lighthouse, Aucilla River, Waciassa River, Econfina River, Mexico Beach, Alligator Point, Carabelle, St. George Island, Ochlockonee River, Chipola River, etc...,too many to list really) Best of all, you can often do fresh and saltwater in the same day on the same trip and you can get anything need for supplies in town. In fact, one of the bait shops on the way to the beach also has an awesome little Cuban restaurant attached to it (gotta love FL). Of course, the weather is still kinda yucky right now, but Spring will be here in no time and there are sure to be several nice days in between.

nlain

Commander

Glad to see some interest in this, we have in the past had folks from either side of Lake Okeechobee, we have been to Lake Griffin, Crystal River, St Augustine, Nettles Island Jensen Beach area, Orlando at a members home, met some great friends, made a lot of new friends. This is the reason I started this thread, so iboats people, keep responding we may make some more new friends.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I'm game! And I like kfa4303's idea. I'm about an hour west of his area with excellent access to major rivers, bays and Gulf.

nlain

Commander

Hey Richard, so far we are the only two from days past, hope some more will get in soon. kfa4303 seems to have all kinds of water in his area. Sounds like something to look into.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I am pretty partial to Lake George and Astor, But as I stated previously, I am open to pretty much anywhere within a days travel. Always looking forward to meeting new friends.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I'll give some info about Apalachicola and the area:

Apalachicola: sleepy little fishing town at the mouth of the Apalachicola Riverth (1).jpg
Lots of places to stay in town, lots of shopping downtown, great food, very laidback

St. George Island: Barrier island located 6 mi south of Apalachth (2).jpg
Several motels to choose from, State park has a NICE campground with water access to the bay

Sikes (Government) Cutth (3).jpg
Quickest access to Gulf of Mexico and some great fishing

Redfish!th (4).jpg

AND...

Snapper!th (5).jpg

kfa4303

Banned

I like the way you think Richard ;) Best of all, I can actually get down there in one piece now that the trailer has new wheels, tires and bearings she's ready for a road trip!

sasto

Captain

Let's git 'er done. Count me in even though I don't have a trailerable boat......Not legally anyway!

kfa4303

Banned

You can just circumnavigate the entire state in that boat and meet us on the west coast in that big ol' boat! Btw, how are you feeling these days SASTO?

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Let's git 'er done. Count me in even though I don't have a trailerable boat......Not legally anyway!
Just get here, my friend, you have a seat on the bridge!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

OK...we have some planning to do. Things for thought:

The SGI (St. George Island) Annual Chili Cookoff is the first weekend in March. It's an ICS (International Chili Society) sanctioned event and always offers great entertainment. We could plan events around this weekend.

Spring is always great, weather permitting, and it's always my busy time for catering. In fact, I'm fully booked in May so, if we can avoid doing a get together in May, I would prefer that.

What about April or June...anyone have thoughts...conflicts??

nlain

Commander

Right now I think I am open for most anytime, lets see what others have going on. How big a crowd does the Chii Cookoff draw? Just thinking about places to stay and if the crowd is large enough for the hotels to jack the prices like they do for other functions.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Last year over 10K attended...most for just the cookoff on Saturday. Some more thoughts:

For those interested in starting on Friday evening, I would be happy to host a happy hour/bonfire. Saturday morning could be open to allow folks to enjoy the cookoff or do some sightseeing. Then we could load up and go to Little St. George (at the Cut) for a luau, fishing and beach fun. And I've got some good numbers for those that want to go out (none over 10 miles offshore). There are NICE concrete ramps in Apalach and on SGI.

sasto

Captain

You can just circumnavigate the entire state in that boat and meet us on the west coast in that big ol' boat! Btw, how are you feeling these days SASTO?

Or just cross the "Big O"

Feeling great, my friend. My New Years resolutions are....Hit the weight room and gain 10 lbs....drink more Sam Adams and gain 5 more lbs....burn more dinasaurs out the exhaust of my boat.

Just get here, my friend, you have a seat on the bridge!

Thanks Richard. I will certainally take you up on that. I'm either under, in, or out on a boat everyday. The Bridge is my favorite place!

Right now I think I am open for most anytime, lets see what others have going on. How big a crowd does the Chii Cookoff draw? Just thinking about places to stay and if the crowd is large enough for the hotels to jack the prices like they do for other functions.

We always have my place here at the Marina. I was able to put everybody up the last time. Should be able to do the same. It would have to be after April, the marina is packed!

You guys figure it out, I'm easy. Sorry I missed the last one. Just to much work and personal problems going on to have a good time. All is well now!

Looking foreward to being with nlain and meeting the rest of you.

kfa4303

Banned

Excellent plan SASTO! I gotta get my a** back in the gym too. I've been slacking :/ An SGI rendezvous would be nice too.

The Rooster

Ensign

Hey "nlain & Richard" would coon asses from Louisiana be invited to this shindig ??? If so, could that run to St. Georges island be done w/ a jet flea w/ my ball & chain sitting on the back ???:lol: "Coop" once convinced me to drive 8 hrs. for an Arkansas lake bash !!!

nlain

Commander

Of course you are welcome. Once you get to the ICW it goes all the way to the bay. That seems like an awful long ride on a flea and a lot of high priced gasoline.

The Rooster

Ensign

Of course you are welcome. Once you get to the ICW it goes all the way to the bay. That seems like an awful long ride on a flea and a lot of high priced gasoline.

:lol: Yes, well I was thinking more like a hotel room in Apalatchicola, and a short run out to the island!!!:rolleyes: