First boat! 1989 Quantum 1800xb Force 125

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
The portable shed was an idea from your thread! I was about to give up on the whole project til I saw what you did!
Glad I could give you a little inspiration!!!! Wasn't what I was looking 5to accomplish being here....but glad I was able to help out a little regardless!!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
What you just explained is why folks buy aluminum boats....no rotten stringers to replace. Aluminium boats over 50 yrs old are not uncommon and they hold far better value. Your money, time and effort, just curious why you are hell bent on spending big bucks on a boat that will be worthless after spending 5K making it safe. Been around boats for well over 60 years, don't have enough fingers to count the number of old glass boats I have watched sink from structure rot and new boat owners going broke trying to fix them up. Good Luck to you...

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
What you just explained is why folks buy aluminum boats....no rotten stringers to replace. Aluminium boats over 50 yrs old are not uncommon and they hold far better value. Your money, time and effort, just curious why you are hell bent on spending big bucks on a boat that will be worthless after spending 5K making it safe. Been around boats for well over 60 years, don't have enough fingers to count the number of old glass boats I have watched sink from structure rot and new boat owners going broke trying to fix them up. Good Luck to you...
It’s the style of boat I was told I would never have. I grew up poor af. Had my heart set on a fiber glass bass boat ever since. Even If I end up without a usable boat at the end or I give up. I’m going to learn a **** ton. I already have. Like don’t check a transom on a boat that has it’s motor ratchet strapped up. I learn on this hunk of junk, if I do it well, I get to use it. If I don’t I learned what not to do.

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice

airshot

Rear Admiral
It’s the style of boat I was told I would never have. I grew up poor af. Had my heart set on a fiber glass bass boat ever since. Even If I end up without a usable boat at the end or I give up. I’m going to learn a **** ton. I already have. Like don’t check a transom on a boat that has it’s motor ratchet strapped up. I learn on this hunk of junk, if I do it well, I get to use it. If I don’t I learned what not to do.
I do have to admire your courage ! Keep us posted....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I visit 1 yard with many scrap/ not worth fixing boats.------But I know there are many folks who think.---" it is fiberglass , nothing can be wrong "-----Little do they know of the junk wood in them.----Or shoddy work under the floor !

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I learned so much fixing up my boat. Fix it correctly, do a good job and you'll have something to be proud of. In addition, you’ll have a good, sound boat for less $$ than it would cost to buy.

Parts of a resto are itchy, miserable work, but much of it is fun and challenging.

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
Update: got some screws, ladder, and trim off the back of the boat. Went to remove the seal and there’s hidden bolts/rivets/screws along it. Not sure what they are yet. Pry bar is next purchase!
Also I’ve found one cause for the transom to be rotten at the top. All the screws I removed, engine bolts etc are all unsealed. They siliconed everything under the sheild(very poorly) to try and seal it back up. Epic fail. The rot starts and stops at every hole. 🤷‍♂️

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
Update: got some screws, ladder, and trim off the back of the boat. Went to remove the seal and there’s hidden bolts/rivets/screws along it. Not sure what they are yet. Pry bar is next purchase!
Also I’ve found one cause for the transom to be rotten at the top. All the screws I removed, engine bolts etc are all unsealed. They siliconed everything under the sheild(very poorly) to try and seal it back up. Epic fail. The rot starts and stops at every hole. 🤷‍♂️
Bought the pry bar and snapped the rivet. Not quite sure this trim piece needs to come off to separate the hull from the cap. It does look like the rivets go through both. Really at a loss on how to do this without breaking the rest off.

briangcc

Commander
IF that's the rubrail....you remove the insert first to expose the rivets/screws the factory used to hold the two halves together. Then drill/unscrew everything. The cap may or may not be further bonded inside either by fiberglass or what I'll term "caulk" that would need to be cut.

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
IF that's the rubrail....you remove the insert first to expose the rivets/screws the factory used to hold the two halves together. Then drill/unscrew everything. The cap may or may not be further bonded inside either by fiberglass or what I'll term "caulk" that would need to be cut.
Today I learned it’s called a rub rail 😅😅
None of the tutorials I watched before 15min ago talked about removing a rub rail. At least I stopped after snapping one. 🤞
Thanks for the advice! Gonna go do this now!

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
Project is on hold. Not only can I not put up a temporary shed, I can’t keep the boat on my property at all.
Edit: moving project to my mother’s property. Unfortunately that’s gonna slow things down a lot

Last edited:

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Project is on hold. Not only can I not put up a temporary shed, I can’t keep the boat on my property at all.
Edit: moving project to my mother’s property. Unfortunately that’s gonna slow things down a lot
Welp......Sounds like it's time to move somewhere else that doesn't have HOA😂 JKJK

But seriously......That really sucks. It is ridiculous that such an entity even exists. If it is my property...I want to be able to do with it whatever the hell I want....With that being said.....I rent...and the 12x20 patch of dead grass that has been created by my portable shed is probably not going to be appreciated by my landlord.....As a kind gesture, I will remove it as soon as possible and attempt to replant new grass.

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
Welp......Sounds like it's time to move somewhere else that doesn't have HOA😂 JKJK

But seriously......That really sucks. It is ridiculous that such an entity even exists. If it is my property...I want to be able to do with it whatever the hell I want....With that being said.....I rent...and the 12x20 patch of dead grass that has been created by my portable shed is probably not going to be appreciated by my landlord.....As a kind gesture, I will remove it as soon as possible and attempt to replant new grass.
It’s almost winter here. Grass will be dead in a couple weeks anyway 😂
I rent as well, HOA was just easier than explaining it all.
I’m just sad it’s delayed finding out if I’m doing stringers or not. At this point I have hope that I won’t be after seeing the unsealed screw holes along the transom.
In the mean time. I’ll start ripping that hack job floor off. After cramping my brain full of how to fiberglass videos, doing the floor seems like a breeze.

matt167

Rear Admiral
plan on the stringers. 95.9999999% chance they are rotted as well.

I recently cut up one of my parts boats, which was a Four Winns Freedom 160. The boat was rotted from about the windshield back. Very little solid wood, and before I bought the boat, the previous owner was running it in the lake

SoDakNovice

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the trigger on some supplies today. I decided on vinylester. Did I miss anything? I already have PPE. Next big spend is tools and the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_5529.png
    IMG_5529.png
    535.4 KB · Views: 3

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled the trigger on some supplies today. I decided on vinylester. Did I miss anything? I already have PPE. Next big spend is tools and the garage.
Vintlest will allow you to gel coat , so you're good there. Do you have any fiberglass? And how are you going to work on this if you don't have an area to work?

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
plan on the stringers. 95.9999999% chance they are rotted as well.

I recently cut up one of my parts boats, which was a Four Winns Freedom 160. The boat was rotted from about the windshield back. Very little solid wood, and before I bought the boat, the previous owner was running it in the lake
Have you done any core tests?

matt167

Rear Admiral
Have you done any core tests?
I’m not sure what you mean? That parts boat I chopped wouldn’t have passed a core test almost anywhere.

I’ll say my other parts boat a 1988 Regal Medallion that I bought thinking it may be safe for an outing or 2 before blowing it apart for parts never got close to water. Solid floor that isn’t deck over, and a transom that seemed good enough. But the motor mounts pulled out while it ran on the hose. I did core drill the motor mounts and found them gone completely.