Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
no doubt. I hope to be in Denmark this summer - and maybe it will have splashed by then for a trip to Copenhagen.. Might get my sister to get her blowboat there from the other side of the country and can meet up

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha, gelcoat is wearing me out :) I just wonder if I could turn back the clock and a bunch of decisions if I'd go with paint. Probably would, been reading a lot about renowned boat builders using two part paints in both interiors and exteriors. Alea iacta est, the die is cast and there's no going back now.

My girlfriend is trying to get all of July as her summer holiday, and something really serious has to happen for us not to leave for a months cruise the first of July. And Denmark could be a perfect destination! Just let me know when you're there, I'll be posting like crazy when we're on our way :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
RH I work hard on my boat, well some times anyway, but I know I will never be able to duplicate your abilities, but I am trying. You make everything look great. You are the high bar set for me to reach. :thumb:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sister lives in Aabenraa over on the pointy part north of Germany and has a summer party she is involved in for the town during the first week of July http://www.ringrider.dk/index.php/117-summer-music-live-2016. Would be a pretty long cruise.

We usually fly into C'hagen but she wants us in Hamburg could probably do one of each.

We have family in Helsingor just a few blocks off the water plus my drunk brother lives on Bornholm so maybe a beer stop on the way?

just looked at the map and Aabenraa is prob about as far as C'hagen by water. Much nicer town too I might add.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

That port is nice! The town looks great as well, charming small houses and beautiful streets. Danes usually know how to enjoy life on top of that, good food and moderate drinking habits :))

I've got friends in Stockholm and Gotland and my mother tongue is Swedish, so any stops in Sweden and Denmark are welcome. Let's get back to this when I've sanded this thing in the water!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sweet! Stepdads boat is in the first long dock next to shore, not sure where sisters boat ended up. After moms funeral in 2003 we had a party at the marina restaurant and spent several hours on the bay on stepdads sailboat.

Moderate drinking habit is subjective....

I'll PM you contact info.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Moderate is an understatement for sure, they've got a similar cultural addiction/link/stain with booze as we do up here.

Been travelling for ("real") work since my last post, just wanted to tell you all to have a good midwinter/yule/christmas/hanukkah! Going to start sanding again on monday.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
RH, you too have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I look forward to more of your build.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Merry Christmas to you and the girlfriend too! Let those knuckles rest for a bit :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Happy new year everybody.

Today I thought I was finally done with all of this sanding. After my initial polishing attempts I noticed a multitude of problems I've missed before:

1. Porosity in the gelcoat in some spots.
2. Scratches that somehow survived 240, 500 and 800
3. Dips/holes I've missed in spite of guide coats
4. Burn throughs to some middle layer with darker acetobe + guide coat color

Was really looking forward to finishing this, but it seems like I'll have to get back to sanding.

Looks kind of ok in these photos, but the truth reveals itself up close and in some light situations.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how to continue. I could fill the dips/holes and sand of course. That would probably take care of the scratches at the same time.

So basically starting over :)

Any ideas are welcome!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Went through it with some better light, and it simply seems that I should've sanded more. There's dips everywhere. So I'll start over with 500 grit tomorrow.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red I realize YOU will know about all the flaws, but to everybody else, it looks fantastic. Hard to do things without some flaws that the owner will know about but unless you point them out, nobody else will. So keep that in mind as you try to make it better. JMHO

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
True! I can live with everything else but the dips. Luckily enough those are fairly straightforward to fix.

I'm wrestling with that thought a lot :)

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
lolololol - i was told once that ball bearing manufacturers used to have trained eagles that would identify any bearing that wasnt perfect (u kno, eagle eye an all) i can picture one of those eagles preening itself in front of that, and not see anything but its perfect reflection!! simply stunning!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OMG!! Becky look at her big, fat .......SS!
Stop it..
Do what you need to do but GM is right. Everyone has some form of OCD. :embarassed:

KC