Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Pusher

Lieutenant
Looks gorgeous! You might leave it and do something else. Worst case scenario, you have a summer of wine and cocktails on the open seas then decide to sand down and clean up some stains while at it! :)

I found that I spent more time on certain things and cut corners on others when I realized I was running out of time. My build isn't turning out nearly as nice as yours so maybe a couple days sanding is worth it. Just know it looks awesome from here!!!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Back at it. I've no resanded everything with 500 and 800. The dips are gone, but now there are scratches everywhere.

I washed with acetone in between the grits and the polish and at least thought that I was thorough.

No idea what's going on. At least I know the scratches have to originate in between the shift from 500 to 800.

Could it be because I'm sanding by hand as well? The pattern is roundish but it's not even as I'd imagine the polisher would produce. Does hand sanding cut deeper somehow? Sort of makes sense.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh well, tried out some rubbing compound with a wool pad and it seems to get rid of the scratches after 3-5 passes. Then polish and wax and I can go home.

10 hours and counting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, I have noticed that Hand sanding does leave more scratches then machine. I guess machine moves quicker and therefore levels the surface smoother. But I have noticed machine sanding is less cutting then hand. And I thought it was just me. :confused:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Have to stop for now(it's 5 AM here). That's the result after the rubbing compound. Tomorrow I'll polish and wax and then onto the next thing :)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I'm just catching up on your project from a couple of years ago. Wow. :hail:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And now you're going drill big holes for instruments and the helm. No one, I mean no one will ever know! LOL

C2025666-7635-4C5F-AD42-315BA3A0C993.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
Hey Red, as far as hand sanding goes, do you mean you're using a sanding block? Literally sanding by hand would cause deep cuts at the pressure points of your fingertips, knuckles and heel of your palms. I'm probably misunderstanding you though.

Your polish job is fantastic! That's better than factory if you ask me. You'll be happy you went back, even if nobody else knows it.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's all pretty obvious now when I think of it: Because of the rounded edges I've just grabbed the paper and used my hand to wrap it around to smooth out the miniature ridges left after the sanding block.

I've probably learnt that while using grit 40 and other really coarse papers with fiberglass and didn't really think about it. This finishing business is all new :)

Haha, now I feel pretty stupid.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, just remember, if you get it "perfect" you will not be comfortable using it for what it is. I mean you will baby it to keep from scratching and marring up the finish. And they doesn't make for comfortable useage. JMHO

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think your work is top notch! I also admire your persistence! Thank you for sharing this adventure and the tips and tricks you've learned along the way! Someday I'll get into a Glasser, and be sure that I'll be looking back at this tread for guidance.

Once again, great job and look forward to more!

Pusher

Lieutenant
It's all pretty obvious now when I think of it: Because of the rounded edges I've just grabbed the paper and used my hand to wrap it around to smooth out the miniature ridges left after the sanding block.

I've probably learnt that while using grit 40 and other really coarse papers with fiberglass and didn't really think about it. This finishing business is all new :)

Haha, now I feel pretty stupid.

Definitely not stupid! I'm not sure there is any other way to do the angles. If there is, I'm just as clueless. :) You'll know what your pressure points are by rubbing your hands together and noting where you no longer have a finger print, haha.

Again, your end results look top notch!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone! Glad to contribute and I sure hope someone can avoid the same mistakes I've made by reading the thread.

Another piece of information I would have loved to know before I put the gelcoat in the molds in the first place:

If you "paint" your gelcoat on the mold it might leave small air bubbles in the final finish. They're barely noticeable but they're there. Apparently I could've avoided them using a paintbrush for application instead of a roller. And then using some sort of cross-thatch motion and break the air bubbles with the bristles.

Too bad this info eluded me in spite of reading tons about mold construction. Now I'll just live with it. I'll see if my iphone is up to the task of picturing it.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
And Gm, you have a very valid point there. I've already promised to my gf and friends that I'm not building a mausoleum to be buried in. The day it is finished it trsnsforms into a working/fishing/diving boat and all this sillyness will be a thing of the past. Would be horrible being one of those "carpet watchers"("Would you kindly refrain from consuming red wine in the proximity of our Moroccan 5000? rug, please"...

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Yihaa!!! Finally done with this part. Very very happy it's over with, the porosity I can do nothing about but otherwise I'm satisfied.

My iphone lens can't focus close enough, but in the reflection shot you can notice a kind of haze: that's the porosity.

Waxed with Starbright ptfe polish, was nice and easy. Hope it'll last :)

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Beautiful!

When wet sanding corners/ radious' I was once advised to use a sponge (thicker one, like for washing a car) between my hand and the paper. That seemed to work very well for me, maybe try that if you've other corners to do by hand?

But seriously, BEAUTIFUL!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok Red, going to call my sister in DK this week and set an early July trip.

See you there, I'll buy the fuel (I know you Scandinavians; that will be cheaper than buying the booze)