evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

ok today i cut thekill switch wires off so i could get the mag plate off

well i bought some 16 guage wireing and i got 2 spark plug boots and terminals. one of my spark plug wires had no terminal lol.

well i took evrything off the bottom of the wireing and made a self note and remember how evyrthing goes cause i remember the bottom coil when adjusted properly goes to top spark plug and the top coil goes to the bottom.

well how do u set up the kill switch wireing? and do i need to buy liek soem new connector or something?

today i replace the coils in place and condensors in place i put all the screws in so i wouldnt loose them but i didnt tighten them because i will have to them off 2moro i probably wont touch anything until the spark plug wireing is in my pssession

anything else u might think i might have to do to my motor before i put it in the water to test out

and after i get the ignition system installed ill test the spark with a friend and hope it works =D

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Replacing the bad kill switch wiring is pretty straight forward. You will need some connectors. And I like to solder the connectors also but it's not absolutely necessary. Especially if you have the proper crimp tool. Note the uninsulated terminal crimp position. You'll need to insulate the splices with heat shrink tubing. Don't forget to slide on a piece of tubing before you crimp it together. If I had a dollar for every time I've done that........ You should be able to get all that stuff at Napa if you don't have it around there already. If they don't have the uninsulated terminals you can get the insulated ones and cut the plastic off with side cutters.

So there weren't any knife connectors between the mag plate and the switch to allow you to just disconnect the wires? Weird!

The only other thing I'd suggest that we haven't gone over is I'd suggest that you take the spark plugs out when you go to put it back together. That way you can easily rotate the crankshaft by putting it in gear and rotating the prop if you have to to set the points. And once you get it all back together and the points set, you can set the flywheel back on and spin it by hand to check for any contact between the coil heels and the flywheel and to check to make sure you have spark on both wires. That way you can take it back off again easily if there's a problem. Then once you have that all ready to go then you can torque the flywheel back on. 45 LBS/FT.

I don't remember if you said whether or not you had a spring loaded points cam. Did it pop up when you took the flywheel off? or did it stay down between the points rubbing blocks? If it's not spring loaded and it stayed down then you can easily set the points with the flywheel off. If it is spring loaded then it's easier to turn the points adjusting screws to where the rubbing blocks will clear the cam when the flywheel is installed (position the high point on the cam (keyway) midway between the two rubbing blocks). And then set the points through the inspection holes after the flywheel is on. Good luck!

...................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

lol when u use techincal terms i basically know squat... so kinda help remember im 14 and in training pants lol

so i might have the crunching tool somewhere but i saw a advertisment of shrink tube when i went to napa and probably got some connectors around there somwhere. well i just put all my new coils and stuff in except i didnt replace the points yet just put evrything in order so i wont forget when i get the spark plug wires.

my points when the mag plate is off the two points r touching each other by the way so what evr that means please explina on how to adjust i dont undertsand ur last two paragraphs

coolguy147

Commander

ok got my spark plug wire and made sure they were copper core which was written on them. it was 25 foot of it by the way so seahorse is right.

i installed the wire to the coils put in new kill switch wires connectingit to them and conddeosors put some new points in and screwed evyrthing in just didnt tighten anything yet gonna re check evyrthing 2moro and check again. ill put the wire under the mag plate in order 2moro too.

ok ill go by what u say ill put evyrthing adjust points then check for spark

so i have a lots of thing done on my motor so far would there be anything else left for me to do? on this masterpiece

oh and the connection for the kill switch wires on the button how do u connect it there?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

coolguy147 wrote;
"so i have a lots of thing done on my motor so far would there be anything else left for me to do? on this masterpiece"

It sounds like you're already on the road to another 50 years of reliable service.

I remember you mentioning that your starter rope broke earlier. Were you able to find a replacement? The specs seem to call for a 7/32" diameter rope 72 1/4 inches long for the 10hp models. I understand that whenever the rope breaks it's a good idea to replace the recoil spring. Because when it breaks the sheave recoils with such force that it kinks the end of the spring. I have to do that with my 18hp because the 3/16" diameter rope I got slipped out of the handle anchor after I installed it.

The only other thing I can think of is your fuel tank. It's always a good idea to rebuild those if you don't know the history. The 50 year old diaphragm could start leaking at any time.

"oh and the connection for the kill switch wires on the button how do u connect it there?"

I don't know exactly how they're arranged on your button setup. But I'd guess that the best way to go is to splice the new wire in as close as you can to the button switch. So that you can get rid of as much of the bad wire as you can.

And I mentioned the spring loaded cam before. The cam is the round part that sits on the crankshaft just under the flywheel. It's machined off center so that as it rotates it opens and closes the points. On the 10hp models (and maybe many others) this cam has a spring under it that cause it to pop up above the points when the flywheel is removed. Is this the case with yours? Can you push down on the cam with your thumbs and does it move? My 56 10hp is made this way. But my 57 18hp is not. If it's not spring loaded then you can easily adjust your points with the flywheel off. Because the cam is sitting just where it will be when the flywheel is on. But if it's sitting up above the points then you'll need to do it differently. Good luck. And don't be afraid to ask for clarification if it's not clear. I have a hard time getting my point across with the written word. I'm an auto mechanic not a writer :) . I can fix anything myself but I can't necessarily explain to someone else how to fix it.

.................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ya i still have my recoil starter to do but what store can i get a rope like that? and how do u reinstall the rope and recoil starter and where can i get the spring i guess ill replace it too like u suggested.

the points i think i can adjust them with the flywheel off cause i can roatate the crankshaft and the points open and close at certain points. so all i do is get my feeler guage and adjust that screw until it barely touches the feeler guage for a .2 or .02? not sure so i will wait lol

sorry for my writting right now kinda tired

idk about the fuel tank but how much can it cost and ill wait when i run out of gas then i will fix it but for now ill test it out and make sure evyrhting goes well

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

coolguy147 wrote;
"ya i still have my recoil starter to do but what store can i get a rope like that? and how do u reinstall the rope and recoil starter and where can i get the spring i guess ill replace it too like u suggested."

I'm not sure about the rope. My understanding was that it could be found at any OMC dealer. But someone on here had gone to four different ones and had no luck. I haven't gotten around to looking for any for mine yet. The only stuff available at the hardware stores is 3/16". Too small in my opinion. I see the Sierra catalog lists the spring. But I don't remember the number and the catalog is at home. I'll get the number later. Duckworks magazine has a good write up on fixing recoil starters.

"the points i think i can adjust them with the flywheel off cause i can roatate the crankshaft and the points open and close at certain points. so all i do is get my feeler guage and adjust that screw until it barely touches the feeler guage for a .2 or .02? not sure so i will wait lol"

That's good! that means the cam is not spring loaded. That makes it simpler.

Yes, on the adjustment you have it exactly right. .020 is the correct one. Just have to be aware that when you tighten the screw that holds the points down it always changes the adjustment a little bit one way or another so you often have to do it several times before you get it perfect.

"idk about the fuel tank but how much can it cost and ill wait when i run out of gas then i will fix it but for now ill test it out and make sure evyrhting goes well"

The rebuild kit is about $25 from laingsoutboards.com. And the two line hose is about $2.00 per foot.

.....................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ya i was aware about the screw that acually holds the point so ill make sure its .020 thought thanks :D

maybe my local hardware store will have it but in the mean time i will wrap a rope aorund the flywheel only to test for spark

and the rebuild kit does sierra or omc or something lol like i said i dont like buying stuff offline

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately as far as I know they're the only game in town. I was able to find the cork gasket for the tank top in the Sierra catalog but that's it. No diaphram or bolt seals. It doesn't make sense that they would have the gasket but not the rest but I'll be darned if I can find it. You could always call laings outboards on their 800 number. I understand they are very easy to work with.

.......................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ok today i tightened up the bolts and tried to set the points but there were weirdly crooked but i got it close as i could to .020

i put the flywheel on tightened it a little bit took a rope wrapped it around it then pulled. my friend was holding and watching the spark plug.

it sparked a nice blue whiteish spark even made a sound when made and it was strong;):D:eek:

w00t!!! so then i took my hand and spun the flywheel a little and it made the same amount of spark but i barely turned it now thats what i call good motor omg im so happy:D;):eek: but my bottom cylinder wire was 2 short so 2moro im going to recut some more to about 30inches and im going to recut both 30inches before i cut about 22-25 inches so u think it will be fine? 30inches? good

and ill try to reconnect the kill switch wires 2moro too to the button

coolguy147

Commander

ok well i guess ill continue to use the pressure tank and when that goes i might as well turn to fuel pump?

coolguy147

Commander

ok today i got the kill switch connected tightened evrything on the mage plate tightened the mage plate down put spark plug wire in right place terminals on tested for spark for likea million time checked for obstruction under flywheel and tested the kill switch

the existing wires i cut from it the kill switch were fine and just attached the new wires to the old and tested to make sure i had not spark and it was a success so kill check off

mage plate and i adjusted coils and points and tightened evrything down.

i tested for spark and there was an excellent one might i add.

so 2moro all i have to do i torque the flywheel down and get some new roep for the recoil and test evyrthing so =D

by the way i think i do need a new head gasket lol well see though

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

ok well i guess ill continue to use the pressure tank and when that goes i might as well turn to fuel pump?

Well converting to a fuel pump is always an option. It would be especially handy if you had more than one motor.... I should say when you have more than one motor. You will! :) That way you can use the same tank for all your motors.

Just keep a close eye on the primer button area. If it starts to leak it's time to do something with it.

"
ok today i got the kill switch connected tightened evrything on the mage plate tightened the mage plate down put spark plug wire in right place terminals on tested for spark for likea million time checked for obstruction under flywheel and tested the kill switch

the existing wires i cut from it the kill switch were fine and just attached the new wires to the old and tested to make sure i had not spark and it was a success so kill check off

mage plate and i adjusted coils and points and tightened evrything down.

i tested for spark and there was an excellent one might i add.

so 2moro all i have to do i torque the flywheel down and get some new roep for the recoil and test evyrthing so =D

by the way i think i do need a new head gasket lol well see though"

Great!

Oh btw I don't know how the spark plug wires are routed on an Evinrude but I would think that 30" should be enough. One thing about it you have plenty so don't short yourself....... (again :) ). You can always cut a little off later if you have to.

I would say no need on the head gasket. If you were stripping it down and doing a full-on restoration that'd be one thing. But I don't think they fail often enough to warrent doing it as regular maintenance.

...................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ok whar store do u think will have the rope? a hardware store? lowes? home depot. those r the store r close by to me. but not sure if the hardware store is open

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last time I bought starter rope I got it at a lawn mower repair shop. Get about 6'. Usually less than a buck a foot.

coolguy147

Commander

u know what the odd thing is that theres i think a toro shop right next to a kawaski dealer next to napa and the toro store is a lawn mower rapair shop they might have something =D

coolguy147

Commander

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWuTrs9Tnk

found a video of my same exact motor except the fact that this one is better looking. and mine all the paint is gone except on the powerhead and below the mag plate due to it satying outside for most of its life but the paint near the spark plugs on mine r about to be gone most of it si chipped away :(

but im thinking about painting it purple:D

coolguy147

Commander

ok well i torqued the flywheel down checking and cleaning the points.

ok i fixed my recoil starter today but it took a little cause i had to wind the recoil srping by hand and didnt knwo how it went to fix it but i got it =D

i aligned the arrows closest to the wrtignt aht said arrow here and as possible. then i pull the recoil a few times to check it and it was excellent. 2moro im going to finish repairsing my throttle assembly then test her out =D:D

wish me luck

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Purple????!!!!! GAck!!!!

Oh well, to each his own I guess! :D But to defile a golden Jubilee like that? Tsk, tsk, tsk, Breaks the heart! With a bit of effort it could look like this; (with apologies to Peter at North York Marine)
59ev10side.jpg

..................Todd