evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
ok i just pulled the carborater and it was dirty so im going to get to cleaning it sometime replace spark plugs and change gear oil need new bushing in prop its slipping but only concern im have now is i need to help getting a new water pump impeller not pumping water good but it pumps but i was thinking about repairing it like puting duck tape around it and make it bigger and repair it and junk any suggestions unless u know where i can get one please help im only 13 lol still learning

jbjennings

Captain
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

Coolguy,
Your post is very difficult to read without punctuation!
I don't know what you're asking.
JBJ

coolguy147

Commander

ok welll i just basically told u a whole bunch of stuff im going to do . my problem is that my engine isnt pumping water good is it possible if i could possible wrap the impeller in duct tape to repair it to it normal shape and another idea is that the rubber bushing inside the prop is slipping at high rpms any ideas i need to make em stick stick together i mean could i put gorrila glue inbetween the prop and bushing. and i just pullled the carborater it smelled like ***** any ideas on how to clean it. plus places in which i can buy new gaskets like a rebuild for my cabroater and a new impeller for my motor

by the way its a 1962 evinrude 10hp qd-23

eavega

Lieutenant

First off, I believe that the QD-23 is a 1962 Johnson Sea Horse 10 HP, not an Evinrude.

Secondly, get yourself a manual for this motor. I had a similar one, and got the manual on ebay for like $15. Those motors are easy to work on, but as with anything in life, have a few "gotchas" for the unprepared.

Third, don't try to "rig" the pump housing impeller with duct tape or anything else. If it needs replacing, replace it. while you are in there, get a full water pump rehab kit and replace the o-rings with what the kit includes. It dead simple on that motor, and relatively cheap.

Rgds

Eric

jbjennings

Captain

I agree with Eavega.
You might get away cheaper on the prop if you get one on ebay or place a free ad on aomci.org. State that you are 13 and you might get a really nice deal, since club members love to help out the younger folks that have old motors. I don't have any that new in 10hp so I'm sure I don't have one.

Of all things on that motor to try to short-cut, the impeller isn't one of them.
If it fails, your motor burns up. An impeller that is borderline is even more sinister to me, because the heat creeps up on you and suddenly your powerhead seizes when you least expect it.....
Good luck with your motor,
JBJ

coolguy147

Commander

ok welll here i go this is what i got so far ok i found a water pump impeller on this website i know a dealer who will fix my prop for ABOUT 100$$ but im going to see if i can find a closer one first and the carboarter needs a new float cause its starting to flake off and its like a bloody color and will clog ports in carb. ok so im going to try my best on cleaning it omg it pretty complicated i tried this website for a new float but there out of stock could u guys help me find a new float cause mine destroyed and probably new gaskets so basically a rebuild

help and tips etc on cleaning carb much help please

wbeaton

Commander

Buy the OEM carburetor rebuild kit (BRP 439071) it has a float, whereas, the Sierra kit does not. Don't pay $100 to have your prop rebuilt. A fella where I am just priced a new hub in his 1962 10 hp at $45 CDN. A new prop is available from Michigan Wheel for around $75 US. Do you have a manual? You should really be working from a manual. The following website will give you an idea of how to repair your motor.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/

coolguy147

Commander

ok well im sure that its a evinrude since it saids it on the serial plate and ok heres the number of the serial plate from it for my refernce i want to make sure this is a 10hp evinrude in 1962 if its evinrude then its called some kind of number i forgot

10018-03549

ok i found another problem i think ok there this little hole right above the prop and when evr i pull the motor up water drains out but hmmm today i found it out that i been leaving it tiled down on a some plywood connected to it for repairs and i found out theres oil coming from that hole im thinking there nothing serious but i think its the crankcase drain from the leftovr oil in the crank case right

oh i dont think im going to be able to find a float and a new impeller too since these parts r so old is there any way of repairing these items i was thinking duct tape for both of them and if not duct tape for the float then put epaoxy around it but theres this bloody color of this stuff on the cabr float thats coming off and i know its going to plug up the little passages

help please lol

wbeaton

Commander

10018 is a 1959 Evinrude 10 hp.

The parts are available. I already gave you the part number you need to order for the carb rebuild kit with the new float. You CAN NOT repair the impeller. The Impeller is part number BRP 0775519 or Sierra 18-3003. Total cost is around $50 for both parts.

eavega

Lieutenant

You can still probably get the carb repair kit for that motor from your local Evenrude/Johson. Those kits are made to cover a variety of engine models. The one I got included the new plastic-type float, which will not delaminate (which is what is happening to your cork float. That the bloody red stuff you see).

As for the rest of the parts, some may be hard to find, but they are out there. As a previous poster suggested, check out the Antique Outboard Motor Club ( http://www.aomci.org/ ). These guys are restoring and running motors probably about the same vintage as your grandparents!

A good source of parts for older motors for me has been Sea-Way Marine in Seattle ( http://www.sea-way.com ). They have very reasonable prices, and seem to be able to get just about anything.

I can understand that you may not have a huge budget to get this motor running, so all I can suggest to you is to understand well how that motor works so that you know where you can "cheat" a little, and where you have to do the right thing (hint: The impeller is designed to wear out and be replaced, so you can't cheat there). With a little patience, determination, and ingenuity, you can get this motor running right.

-E

coolguy147

Commander

10018 is a 1959 Evinrude 10 hp.

The parts are available. I already gave you the part number you need to order for the carb rebuild kit with the new float. You CAN NOT repair the impeller. The Impeller is part number BRP 0775519 or Sierra 18-3003. Total cost is around $50 for both parts.

ok well could someone find me a picture so i can relater cause i i dont wanna get a wrong part for it u know and it has a fiberglass hood so i knwo lots of older ones were metal and for the dials its choke pull out switch on way left middle is slow or high needle and right is slow or high needle adjustments and below that is the kill switch and im going to pull the water impeller out and check it out then possibly bring it to a evinrude dealer and anybody know if i can do this for for a mercury cause its 50hp and i would really like to get that thing running and put the ten on a john boat lol =)

coolguy147

Commander

ok well this website sells the water impeller ( sweet) ok now theres a dealer thats 9 miles away and one thats 15 and one thats 17 ok so anyways hmmm what should i ask when i need a rebuild i look at brp website there models only go down to 1968 so i looked at the 18hp float and it looks liek mine

coolguy147

Commander

ok here the picture it didnt come up so heres the linkhttp://images.ask.com/fr?q=1959+evinrude+&desturi=http%3A%2F%2Fmitglied.lycos.de%2Fold_omc%2Fe_1959%2Fevin_1959.html&fm=i&ac=24&ftURI=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.ask.com%2Ffr%3Fq%3D1959%2Bevinrude%2B%26desturi%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fmitglied.lycos.de%252Fold_omc%252Fe_1959%252Fevin_1959.html%26imagesrc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fmitglied.lycos.de%252Fold_omc%252Fe_1959%252Fseite_12.jpg%26thumbsrc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252F66.235.120.64%252Fts%253Ft%253D1001272516966929171%2526pid%253D23056%2526ppid%253D9%26o%3D0%26l%3Ddir%26thumbuselocalisedstatic%3Dfalse%26fn%3Dseite_12.jpg%26imagewidth%3D1024%26imageheight%3D679%26fs%3D124%26ft%3Djpg%26f%3D2%26fm%3Di%26ftbURI%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ask.com%252Fpictures%253Fq%253D1959%252Bevinrude%252B%2526page%253D1%2526o%253D0%2526l%253Ddir%2526pstart%253D0&qt=0

its page 7 on the thing near the bottom looks just like it so help me on the cabr please problem

wbeaton

Commander

Go to your local dealer and order the carb rebuild kit part number BRP 439071. You can get the impeller there too part number BRP 775519 (if they sell aftermarket parts get Sierra 18-3003). Just give them these part numbers.

coolguy147

Commander

Go to your local dealer and order the carb rebuild kit part number BRP 439071. You can get the impeller there too part number BRP 775519 (if they sell aftermarket parts get Sierra 18-3003). Just give them these part numbers.

ok im going to call them up and see if not thne ill go to them and make em find it lol =0 but im so glad cause today i cleaned my first carborater really good with a tooth brush spray carb cleaner and a can of compressed air( it really gets cold) so ill see 2moro im going to write down these numbers and r u sure by my serial # thats its 1959 cause wow lol older then i thought

and guys u didnt awnser my other question i found out yesterday thats theres oil around the prop and such i checked the screws for the lower unit all seemed find and i think its coming from this hole right above the prop where oil come outs but my guess this is the crankcase drain? if im right?

eavega

Lieutenant

I'm sorry, I'm gonna say it. Its VERY difficult to understand what you are asking when you don't use any punctuation, capitalization, correct spelling, etc.

From what I have been able to gather, you have some oil that is draining from above the prop? That is most likely unburned oil from the crankcase.

-E

coolguy147

Commander

I'm sorry, I'm gonna say it. Its VERY difficult to understand what you are asking when you don't use any punctuation, capitalization, correct spelling, etc.

From what I have been able to gather, you have some oil that is draining from above the prop? That is most likely unburned oil from the crankcase.

-E

ya lol u fixed my problem now i dont got to worry i was thinking of that though but ya i really need to find a place to get my prop rehubed the closest place is bass pro but idk if they do it

Xcusme

Commander

I wouldn't feel bad at all. The poster was told in the very first reply about spelling etc. He chose to ramble on. I'm sure more folks would jump in to help a 13 year old if they could read through the AOL speak with no punctuation! I'd like to help him too, if I could sort out what he needs help with.

CATransplant

Admiral

Nope. He's not a jerk. This site is the most helpful site on outboards and boats on the web. However, when you come here and ask questions, it's very important that you try to communicate your questions well.

Taking a little time to put your questions in a readable form is your responsibility. If you do that, you'll get better answers faster. If you don't, there are some folks here, among them the ones best able to answer your questions, who simply won't answer at all.

It's your choice.

One more tip: Calling the people trying to help you "jerks" means they'll certainly stop helping you. Please think about it.