evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

ya im surprised to of what happened. the washer i used to keep the bolts inplace were bending in and my thing was moving a little and the bolts bent a little. i hammered it with a wood bloack in place then repeated until it came off. well the thing scared the crap out of me cause i thought i broke another bolt cause there was a very loud pop when that flywheel comes off. that idea using the belts and plummers wrench i found very very helpful;)

ya the long screw on one of the coils i took off i guess was it so 2moro ill try to take a look at a little. my kill switch works fine and the wires look good i mean am i able to detach it some how and nothing go wrong. i would like to still keep it incase my throttle cable breaks and i have to find a new way to turn it off. and not sure if i can take a picture seeing as that no camera i mean i wouldve shown u my motor a long time ago. and when link and syncing i should put so the butterfly starts to open when the roller is on the little line in which the roller rolls on? and if u read my previuos posts i got a feeler guage and a torque wrench

so should i reinstall alll the new points coils and condensores then tkae the " mag plate i believe its called " off and finish up with the spark plug wires under there? then adjust and the points

the link and sync is done with the mag plate on or off and specify hwo tis done

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah they do pop off with a bang! That's why it's generally recommended to leave the nut threaded on a few threads. Just to keep it from flying off. Glad the belt trick worked.

I remember now when you got the torque wrench and feeler gauge. Can't keep track :redface: .

I would recommend that you replace all of it with the mag plate on the bench. You'll want to do the spark plug wires and coils at the same time. What you'll want to do is thread the spark plug wire up through the hole in the mag plate a few inches. then fit the little boot that comes with the coil onto the plug wire and then poke the plug wire firmly onto the pin in the coil. Make note of how deep the hole in the coil is and make sure the wire goes in that far and bottoms out. Then slide the boot onto the coil terminal and then fit the whole thing down onto the mag plate. Making sure that the little boot fits properly in the hole in the mag plate. Then you can bolt the coil down. Make sure to replace the felt pad under the one coil. And make sure the small wire that goes to the points doesn't get pinched under the coil. That's it, just do one "side" at a time so you have one side whole to compare to and you'll do fine. Just make sure you keep track of which spark plug wire goes to which coil and which cylinder. And just cut the new plug wires to the same length as the old ones.

On the link-n-synch You have the basic idea. How best to do it depends on how hard it is to reach the cam bolts with the mag all assembled. It might be easier to do it after you get the mag rebuilt but before you bolt it back on. After you have everything back together set the mag plate back on the engine and rotate it around and check your link-n-synch If it's off then take it off, tweak the cam a bit and try it again. Once it's right then you can finish putting it together. Or as I said if you can reach the bolts easily then just put it together and do it after. I hope I didn't confuse things worse. It's really pretty straight forward.

The kill button wires should have knife connectors in the middle somewhere. They'll be under an insulating boot that you can slide off and disconnect the connectors by kind of folding them back on themselves. It doesn't matter which one of those goes to which. Good luck!

..................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

i only took the coil off just to look at it other then that i know squat didnt take the time to really look at it

oh and when i took the flywheel off i put the bolts in so they wouldnt come out so i put em all the way in i mean does htis matter?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

oh and when i took the flywheel off i put the bolts in so they wouldnt come out so i put em all the way in i mean does htis matter?

The only thing you need to worry about is hitting something under the flywheel if the bolts go through too far. You could damage the coils or a bolt could get bent if the flywheel is allowed to turn while the bolts are in.

.....................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ya the coils were scratched a little but im replacing them and only other reason for me taking the flywheel off would be to replace the coils or other parts. but do they still sell flywheels or will i have to hunt them down?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

but do they still sell flywheels or will i have to hunt them down?

Not sure I follow. You mean in the future if you happen to damage one beyond use? No they don't sell them new for this vintage anymore. You have to hunt one down. I had to get one from my local marine salvage place when I needed to replace the one on my 18. I bought an old parts motor and got it off that. They pop up on Ebay all the time. You just have to figure out what interchanges.

.....................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

oh i think mine will just have to do then. anyways i took the mag plate off today and took the top spark plug wire off. and sutdied and looked at it for a little. now my kill switch wire do need replacing as they r like cut in have for me lol. am i able to replace the kill switch? still working on the bottom wire. one of the screw is like lock tight on there :eek: thats all i really did today

and the spark wire i can cut anywhere? and they will work? like just a big hole in my wire so this is y it has to be copper core?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

"and the spark wire i can cut anywhere? and they will work? like just a big hole in my wire so this is y it has to be copper core?"

When you get the new copper core spark plug wire it will just be a length of insulated spark plug wire by itself. With no ends or boots or anything on them. Then you'll just transfer your existing boots and terminals over to the new wires.

Is that what you're asking?

If the spark plug wires on your motor have a protective jacket or sleeve around them where they exit the mag, you can just throw that away. It's probably rock hard by now anyway.

Wasn't your kill button working ok before? You say the wires are cut. Did you have to cut them to get the mag plate off? Or did you find some bad spots in them. You can always splice new wire in if they're damaged too badly. Just make sure you use proper solder and splice techniques with shrink tube for insulation. No cheapie butt connectors or twist and tape allowed :) .

I'm sure your flywheel will be fine. All the holes have to do now is hold the inspection plate on.

I wouldn't think you'd need to replace your kill switch. They're probably not going to be available new. You'd have to hunt one down. But it souns like yours was working ok and they're not really a commonly replaced item. Not like points, coils and such.

....................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

no its just the wire no sleeving but i think my kill switch wires do. my killl switch wires i moved and they were so dried up crack and split open and the wire inside is all green lightish.

ya thats kinda what i thought and my termianl on one end of the boots is like gone the item that wraps around the spark plug terminal spring like thing i guess.

just the wires on the kill switch r bad.

do u have the specifiations for a new wire for the kill switch. ill ask and take the spark wire to car quest see if they have it.

any other places would u recommend to get new spark plug wireing

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

So your spark plug boots and terminals are no good huh? I hate to say it but it sounds like your best bet is online. laingsoutboard.com has a park plug wire with boot and terminal for $3.95 each. Part number SPW1. You'll have to get the folks to do the online thing for you. I believe the boots and terminals are still available from Evinrude dealers too but I don't know what the part number might be. Sierra may have them too but my catalog is at home. For spark plug wire You might also try another outboard place. Even a Mercury dealer might have it. A place that services lawn mowers and garden tractors may have it in the service department. You won't find it at a Home Depot or a Lowes.

For the kill button wires any old 16 gauge automotive wire will be ok. You can get that at napa. Along with the shrink tube and (uninsulated) terminals. You'll have to come up with a soldering gun and stuff though.

.................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ok my boots i guess r fine just a little cracked but man i dont not want to buy anything offline not that kind of guy. i hope theres a part number.

oh and do they still have headgaskets for my motor cause think i might as well as replace that too

jbjennings

Captain

No need to replace the head gasket unless you think it's leaking. If I were you, I wouldn't do it. I'm curious--what happened to your terminals? Did you bend the heck out of 'em? If so, bend them back with a pair of pliers....Easy enough. If you don't like dealing online, go to laingsoutboards and dial the phone number. That fellow is very helpful and very patient. Ships fast and reasonable. He'll take a credit card # over the phone. Get your Dad's approval and assistance, of course. He's plenty knowledgeable for you to just tell him what you need without asking for part numbers, which will also be a plus for you. As said, he's got spark plug wires with boot/terminal. I think that would be easiest for you.
Good luck,
JBJ

coolguy147

Commander

ok terminals r the the metal thing in the boot right? cause like one of mine is missing completely i feel it still works without one but ya

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Sierra lists a boot with terminal p/n 18-5750. Unfortunately it says it's a package of 10. They also list 18-5750-9 that says "priced per package" I don't know what that means. They also list a spark plug wire kit p/n 18-5225 that contains 25 feet of copper core spark plug wire plus an assortment of terminals. No idea what the prices of those might be.

I agree with JBJ about the head gasket. They don't fail often enough to warrant replacing.

.................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

oh and when i was changing the t stat i kinda smelled i think a bit of fuel or oil or something but idk

coolguy147

Commander

ordered both things and it comes out to aboeu 45 dollars and wow 41 dollars for the spark plug wiring

freddyray21

Commander

you must have bought the 45 ft roll. I just bought 10 ft with boots for 13 dollars and it included shipping.

coolguy147

Commander

neh its to late i already ordered next time

seahorse said it was the 25ft bundle with a whole bunch or terminals. ill see but its fine i already ordered it and it will be her 2moro both of parts =D

coolguy147

Commander

ok i got the 16 guage wiring and it came with quite some was about 6-7 dollars and i made sure to get black since my other wiring was black.

when re wiring the kill switch how is it going to be done just reuse the conectors? and i got the spark plug boots and terminals and the wireing kit surpisingly didnt come in. but they reordered it and should come in on tuesday =D