esa question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS

Commander
Ok switches in, the anti-siphon valve I ordered was 3/8 but mine is 5/16 so cleaning mine up and will re install.
Would it hurt anything to install the 3/8 anti-siphon valve?

MRS

Commander
Ok changed the switches still the same but the tach is going crazy show 6 thousand rpm's but not rev that high wonder if tach is bad and shorting out. Could that be the trouble.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Possible, tach probs can cause running issues. Try disconnecting the tach connection and see what happens. What brand of gauges? I have heard of a loose terminal on Faria tachs causing similar problems.
First I'd try disconnecting the switches and see if it still does that. Just be aware you will not be able to shift from in -gear to neutral unless you shut off the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So does the engine stumble when you manually depress the shift switch?

Don't disconnect the switches to see if the ESA is the problem...just unplug the ESA itself.

The tach could easily be your issue as well.

MRS

Commander
Thanks both of you for the reply will try all those things and see what happens. I still work so will try as soon as I can wind blowing 20mph. now. The tach. is original medallion I not sure if I spelled it right. Thanks again.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
lol I still have those ancient Medallion gauges and they still work!

MRS

Commander
When I unplug the esa I know will not go back in gear till I shut off motor but will it let me shift into gear with it unpluged? I am first going to unhook tach then try esa.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the ESA does not have any effect on shifting into gear. On the water hose with no load on the prop, you will probably be able to shift out of gear with no ESA but if it resists you do not force it just shut off the engine.

Going back to your anti siphon question, not sure on that but I know in my OMC shop manual it lists 3 different part numbers for different applications:
17372 for 5/16 ID hose
173274 for 3/8 ID hose
173375 for 3/8 OD copper tube

I would use the one that matches the ID diameter of your fuel hose to be on the safe side.

MRS

Commander
going to cut out more room tomorrow wind not going to be bad next two days so should be able to get on the boat still blowing good today though.
My gas line is 3/8 and the valve that is on it is 5/16 always did run good but I think will change that out also. Here is what I always had to work around hard to even check the oil.

Attachments

• photo291419.jpg
    photo291419.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 0

MRS

Commander
[No message]

Attachments

• photo291420.jpg
    photo291420.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
can't imagine changing the points and condenser the way they designed it!

MRS

Commander
Bloody hands and bumps on the head plus sore shoulders.
But now I can see the light and my motor! Have company today so no work on boat again but did sneak out this morning and did this.
Plus want to Thank all service men and women alive and gone for there service not just today but every day Thank you!

Attachments

• photo291420.jpg
    photo291420.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo291600.jpg
    photo291600.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 0

MRS

Commander
Ok unpluged the ESA and tach started working right checked timing TBDC 6% dwell 39% so I have ordered the ESA. Then should be good to go finally. Way easier to work on motor now no cuts or bumps today...

MRS

Commander
ok got the wrong esa ordered 987740 but got the 763786 witch is for a breaker-less distributor so have to sent back and get the right one. Really missing my boat:grumpy:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well, the same thing happened to me! A few years back, I was having trouble with the original 28 year old one and could not find an OE one fast so I got one from CDI electronics which worked just like the original. I ordered the OE one just in case this didn't work right. It came in a box (BRP part) marked 987740 but on the module itself, it says the same part number as you have 763786. I called the people I ordered it from (Crowley Marine) and they thought it was the right part. Well I could not send it back by the time I noticed the discrepancy but if its really for the electronic distributor, then I'm kinda glad I kept it because then I could use a Delco EST when I repower the boat with new 4.3 Vortec. Do you know for sure that this is not for a points distributor?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Found the answer to my own question, looked through all the paper work for the part and it says that it is for the Prestolite BID distributor which was an electronic unit.

MRS

Commander
Talk to them today said no problem they are sending out the new one I am sending back the wrong one. Hope to be on the water soon. I hope really missing boat and water.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I did some checking around & it maybe that the OE one is NLA, you may wind up having to use a CDI one as I did, it works just the same as the original. Same plugs, hook ups etc. Just make sure the module has a good ground, mounts on the port side back by the exhaust manifold. Tough spot to crouch into lol. Take a hot shower first to loosen up the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.