esa question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS

Commander
I have rebuilt carb and did tune up and timing runs great in neutral. shifts great but will not run smooth once I shift into gear feels like motor is missing and loaded up. Could it be the esa? If I unplug the esa will it let me shift into forward gear to see if the esa is the problem also I will try a different timing light to recheck timing mine is old and was a cheap one anyways Thanks for any replies.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When those switches get old they start sticking, I had the same thing happen a few years back. Then the ESA failed but it was 28 years old! Replaced and all good.

MRS

Commander
Lou C, Thanks mine 86 4.3 I think maybe I will just change out the switches and esa and go from there. I noticed on your boat but cannot find the photo of it that you cut out above your motor compartment a access hatch think I need the same thing. Getting to old to bend around the motor compartment Thanks for the reply.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It actually came that way from Four Winns. There is a removable part that you take off and then you can get to the distributor, etc on the rear of the engine.

Attachments

• photo288356.jpg
    photo288356.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
As said before, the switches tend to stick. It is probably the “over stroke” switch causing the problem.

MRS

Commander
Thanks for the photo think I will cut mine out when parts get here. Real pain to tune up. And get to connectors behind the motor. I will just upholster a thin board to go across the cut out section Thanks for the photo.

MRS

Commander
As said before, the switches tend to stick. It is probably the “over stroke” switch causing the problem.

Kenny, Thanks for the reply thats why I posted here just to make sure I was on the right track. Now it looks like I am off to spend some money and start enjoying the boat again.:)
After I cut out the access panel so I can get my fat head in there easier.

MRS

Commander
One more thing is there a better brand of esa to buy cannot find a o.m.e. esa. Found the switches o.m.e but not the esa.
Thanks again...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the overstroke switch was stuck, it would cause the ESA not to operate. The failure mode for that switch would only happen if the shift switch was bad or not adjusted properly. The purpose of the overstroke switch is to default to NO ESA when the boat is fully in gear.

The best way to troubleshoot if the ESA is causing and idling issue is to unplug it. Just be aware that it will be close to impossible to get the drive out of gear while in the water.

The ESA should only operate when taking the drive out of gear while in the water. The ESA should never operate when going into gear or when on muffs. If it does operate during those conditions, you have a lower shift cable issue.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The best non OMC ESA is the CDI.

Also be aware that newer ESAs don't even use the overstroke switch. They use a timer to disable the ESA after a shift within a couple seconds rather than relying on the overstroke switch. OMC switched to the timer type ESA in the early 90s.

MRS

Commander
So if I order the new esa I do not have to worry about ordering a new overstroke switch? Plus my idle is great no troubles with idle just when I put in gear. My lower shift cable is working great not the issue.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you need a new ESA and can't get an original one I'd call CDI electronics in Alabama and ask them if the one they sell still uses the overstroke switch. When I replaced mine a few years ago, the one they were selling still used it. So when I installed the new switches and CDI ESA, it was set up as original and worked the same way. Try Crowley Marine in Colorado if you want an original that is updated, if the one CDI sells is not.

When I had the problem with mine, it appeared that the shift assist switch was sticking on, but the overstroke switch was not cancelling it. If you look closely at the switches, you can see that the button part wears over time, these switches that I replaced about 3 years ago were original.
If you want to test yours, you can do it as Bruce says, but try to do it on a day when there is no one around so you can shut off the engine to get it out of gear, since you will probably have to do that in order to not put too much strain on the shift linkage.

After I replaced the switches and ESA (mine failed right after replacing the switches!) mine was back to smooth shifting.
Try to get the idle as low as you can, ie 550 or so in fwd gear in the water.

Keep in mind there are other things that will cause an engine to not perform well after shifting in gear on the water. With the ESA sticking you can tell because as soon as it happens, the idle will be abnormally low.
However, a corroded anti siphon valve will restrict fuel flow to the point where it will cause the boat to not accelerate in gear. It will start ok and idle fine and you can rev it up in gear, but put in gear and put a load on it, it will fall on its face even if there is nothing else wrong. Try what Bruce said before buying parts, and report back. My boat had the anti siphon valve problem back when we first got it.

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
Lou C I did remove and test the anti siphon valve like the manual said to test it was not stuck with crud but did leak pretty bad so will replace. Then will have to take to lake and disconnect the esa and see what happens. Mine does idle right at 600 rpm.

MRS

Commander
OK ordered both switches and anti siphon valve will see what that does when they get here. If no go will order the esa unit.
Would work on it more this weekend but got to go work for Mom Mothers day lost my Dad this last March and Mom needs a little help around the house Mom beats out boat any day. Plus I do want to cut out the area above the motor compartment to get in there easier like Lou C's boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about your Dad, been there done that with both my parents. Take good care of Mom and tomorrow is her day!

In my boat I removed anything that gets in the way of maintenance. It has the big bench seat in front of the engine but what I did was use a pair of removable pontoon seats and then cut the wood bulkhead that is behind the seat in half, with a hinge (vertically) in the middle. It all comes apart with wing nuts.

Seapearl

Recruit
Would this be normal buildup from not winterizing? Milky around oil cap as well. Curious if I should simply fill back up with oil & change plugs then see before taking to a mechanic.Hello,
not sure if in the correct place but I'll try.
I bought 2 years ago a 1999 regal with a 4.3 Mercruiser. Ran great the first and second year. Bought it to take my wife and step kids to enjoy life. At the end of last season my wife and I took it out on the Gulf & started running sluggish. I changed fuel separator and ran great after.

Took it out with step step to check it out before taking the women out and it ran great idling and would accelerate just a smug in fine. But could not go more to get on a plane. However, running slow was fine except had a very slight vibration. I thought ok maybe it's the plugs but it ran fine at slow speed. Just got biggy when trying to accelerate.

I just not pumped oil out of dipstick and it was milky. However on the dipstick shoes normal color. Does this sound like a head gasket or cracked head? Does anyone have an idea of direction I'm leaning?. Thank you for your time & knowledge in advance.

MRS

Commander
Thanks Lou C, got switches today going to put on and see what happens and change anti-siphon valve also. will check back in after to update Thanks again for the replies from every one.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When you install them, be careful not to overtighten. That can make them stick,

MRS

Commander
Will do, do I just lube the old pins up and push out of the connector then push new pins in?

MRS

Commander
Sprayed with w-d and they are pushing out easy now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.