Engine blew up today.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine blew up today.

I must say folks are down on automotive engines. :facepalm:I dropped a 1996 gmc truck engine in my Baylinner two years ago. Pulls skiers fine and tubes with ease. As far as the numbers go same block, crank, heads, and pistons. Cams did have a different casting number. I just used the truck cam. I could not be happier. 200 dollar engine with 50 hours boating no smoke and stays full of oil. I did use the automotive gaskets from northern to put it back together. :eek:This is a fresh water boat with steel freeze plugs just like the ones in the original block. :eek:Starters carburetors and ignition should stay marine after that use what you want. Lot of guys overpricing engines just by saying it goes in a boat.

Preach it brother!

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After even more research I have decided to not go with the marine engine. I am going with a 4.3 short block from a Dallas engine builder with gasket kit and oil pump. Im getting my current marine heads resurfaced and getting the seals replaced. Installing a marine cam, brass freeze plugs, new lifters, and all of my bolt ons. A block is a block is a block.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do me a favor and PLEASE let me know how your experience with this company goes. I most likely will be having to purchase a 4.3 as well and this is where I am leaning towards purchasing one from. There warranty is good, and it just seems less sketchy than the other places I have seen. I looked at rapido marine and called them but the guy I talked to just sounded like an idiot and it gave me a ba feeling so please let menknow how this goes for you.

I spoke to these guys today and was impressed with the guy I spoke to. He made sure to verify the block casting numbers and knew all the answers to my questions. He was able to find a shipping company that would deliver to my door as opposed to me having to pick it up from a shipping company in town for the same price.
Only downside being they are out of stock of the motor. They have the cores, but he said the 4.3's have been flying out of there. Motor should be ready to ship 4 days after the order is placed and delivery to Texas would have taken only 3 days. If I was going marine engine I would order from these guys.
One last thing I found them on ebay. They sell a lot of motors on there and their feedback is pretty good.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You are now correct a block is a block. Use the oil pan and windage tray if equipped that came with your original engine. Marine engine in salt water is a bit different. Freeze plugs, I can change these if needed but I dont do salt so never a worry. I dont have a clue why people stink their pants over marine engines. 4.3 are 4.3. Yea they made several changes, just get your version.Camshaft selection might not be spot on but automotive,truck,rv or marine are so close that most will never know it. There are some marine engines like the 4cylinder mec with the Ford head and the custom block but it isnt yours so just find a reputable company and dont fret.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are now correct a block is a block. Use the oil pan and windage tray if equipped that came with your original engine. Marine engine in salt water is a bit different. Freeze plugs, I can change these if needed but I dont do salt so never a worry. I dont have a clue why people stink their pants over marine engines. 4.3 are 4.3. Yea they made several changes, just get your version.Camshaft selection might not be spot on but automotive,truck,rv or marine are so close that most will never know it. There are some marine engines like the 4cylinder mec with the Ford head and the custom block but it isnt yours so just find a reputable company and dont fret.

Now if I was able to find a short block for $200 like your deal...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

4.3s are a dime a dozen. Look in s10s blazers full size trucks ect. Find one that is comparable to yours and runs like a champ and away you go.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a good 4.3 used from a truck and change the accessories you should be ok and freeze plugs and head gaskets.