Edit button being abused

bassman284

Commander
Re: Edit button being abused

Wow, who knew? I spend an inordinate amount of time here but I don't post much. I didn't realize this was a problem. I guess I can see the complaint, though.

Interestingly enough, I also spend a fair amount of time on an auto racing forum hosted by roughly the same version of Vbulletin and they implemented the same change about a month or two ago, presumably due to similar complaints. Never affected me so I don't know.

Grammar police or not, I'm old and I can't stand to have post of mine go out with a typo or spelling error. I proof everything before hitting Post Reply but still once in awhile see a mistake after it posts. I have to edit immediately because that stuff just really bugs me. I will edit if I see and extra space between a couple of words. I don't really care if the software rats me out.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I can see it, try editing your post I will try to edit your post as well .. 12.04

Will do.. and thank you (edit for another test as of 12:03 ) for looking into this .. ( Edit at 11:55 for test :) )

YD.

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your getting close :) .. I can still edit your post and mine.

Again .. no matter what .. thank you for showing the edit time stamp :)

YD.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your getting close :) .. I can still edit your post and mine.

There is no way to stop you from editing something you quote from a previous post. Just like I didn't want to include all of your reply, only part of it. Some things you are just going to have to deal with.
When you answer someones question, just hit the Reply with Quote button and include his full question. Then you have a record of what it was originally.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is no way to stop you from editing something you quote from a previous post. Just like I didn't want to include all of your reply, only part of it. Some things you are just going to have to deal with.
When you answer someones question, just hit the Reply with Quote button and include his full question. Then you have a record of what it was originally.

Thank you for resolving this :)

YD.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Many times I will respond to a posting using the 'Reply with Quote' and edit the Quote......................... to leave out the garbage.............................so the important parts......................stand out......................

But I can understand irresponsible editing can change the context of some statements.

This could be a double edged sword. Good on one side................

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Many times I will respond to a posting using the 'Reply with Quote' and edit the Quote......................... to leave out the garbage.............................so the important parts......................stand out......................

But I can understand irresponsible editing can change the context of some statements.

This could be a double edged sword. Good on one side................

Absolutely.
I'm on the other side....the abuse of "last edited by" has got to stop. :)
If someone edited their original text so as to make a response of mine seem irrelevant or even foolish....I'd just delete my response; I'd not expect the site admins to make changes to the site to suit me. :confused:

But it does explain why many of my posts now have "last edited by" when i just go in and correct a typo or similar....:facepalm:

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.....But it does explain why many of my posts now have "last edited by" when i just go in and correct a typo or similar....:facepalm:

It sucks! Barely a minute goes buy when I read my post and go back to correct some errors and find the edit notification. What is with all the whiners that are responsible for this happening

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd let it go fellas...

The powers that be have made the change, whether I agree or not, a change has been made.

I plan to operate within the confines of the free forum, as it's setup.

Most computers & smartphones have spell check, sometimes I use them. Sometimes I do not. Occasionally, I speak incorrectly &/or don't convey my intended thought. Other times I get the details of someone else's boat (or even mine) wrong. Math errors too every now & again. Generally, I note the EDIT in the post. Lets me be more specific then the small 'reason for edit' box.

That or perhaps I should try & proof my posts before I 'submit' them.

Actually, the change doesn't affect how or what I post either way, so, to me it makes no difference what so ever. Edited by, or not. Besides, quite a few forums operate similarly.

Thanks for all that the mods do & to iboats for free access to the forums, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :first:

{this space reserved for a note in the future: EDITED by Jbcurt00 at some unspecified future date} ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is no reason anyone should care unless they have something to hide. It is unclear to me how a little "Edit" note has a negative impact on anyone that is a good member here. You don't have to fill it out ;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There is no reason anyone should care unless they have something to hide. It is unclear to me how a little "Edit" note has a negative impact on anyone that is a good member here. You don't have to fill it out ;)

I was just stating my opinion....as did the OP.
My opinion is that the change was a waste of Admin time and an irritant to as many as were bothered by OP's issue. Can't please all. There were options available to deal with the problem yourself....if it was a concern.

But with such a short time lag, I've posted a response and found a few posts between my response and the original.
I don't like the effects of the change....that's all.
:)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I feel the same way .. there should not be any impact on anyone unless there is a reason to Completely delete a post or Modify a post/OP thread to begin with.

Again .. I suggest that here on Iboats we dont have the "spell police" coming after you on a posting. Iboats has a great number of members that do not speak fluent english .. We dont post just to suggest a grammar correction on a glass jobbie .. or how to dot your I's and cross your T's ..

Anyones postings mean nothing other than getting across your Meaning ! .. not your spelling. ( I could care less how you spell or gramatically put a sentence together ).

When I see Edited postings it means to change the way you want to have the posting different .. not spelling. ( I have seen them completely removed ) ..

Its good that the Mods or whoever got this to reflect the Edits made at a time stamp :) ..

Thanks again :)

YD.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was just stating my opinion....as did the OP.
My opinion is that the change was a waste of Admin time and an irritant to as many as were bothered by OP's issue. Can't please all.
:)

I visit more than 4 forums per day and this was the only one where an edit trail was not left for an edit after 10 minutes or so. I don't always fill in the box but I sure as heck don't care if it says edited. If I just correct a type I normally don't. If I add additional info I always make it clear that it was an edit.

It appears from the OP post and the admin's choices and actions that it was perceived that that there may have been some abuse. Whether that is true or not I think the right choices have been made and implemented.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I visit more than 4 forums per day and this was the only one where an edit trail was not left for an edit after 10 minutes or so. I

Ten minutes would have been a very reasonable compromise....someone even suggested 5 minutes, and that would have been better than the arbitrary 1 minute.
I guess it's the squeaky wheel syndrome. If it were me, I'd just delete anything that bothered me enough to raise this issue in the first place. :)

But as QC said, no big deal....minor annoyance at worst.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but I also agree with Tim. Waste of admin's time on this one.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry, but I also agree with Tim. Waste of admin's time on this one.

Last edited by bruceb58; Today at 06:33 PM. Reason: To annoy people

Ayuh,.... It does clutter up my beautifully structured, spelt, worded postin's,... :blue: :grumpy: :laugh:

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... It does clutter up my beautifully structured, spelt, worded postin's,... :blue: :grumpy: :laugh:

Last edited by Bond-o; Today at 04:08 PM. Reason: Ayuh,....
Ayuh...

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Anyone ever stop and think that the whole newsgroup program is simply rented. This same program is in use for a large number of groups besides this one. The reason for the change could be somewhere else entirely and only now has our copy been updated.

Granted our site administrators have the abilitiy to switch some options on/off, but they are simply making small adjustments to the basic program.