Edit button being abused

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I think this is the second time I posted on the "Edit" problem.

There has to be a way to show when members Edit their Post(s).

I have come across this many many times .. and its getting old.

I have seen some one liners get a full blown paragraph Edit AFTER the main thread was under way. That is NOT FAIR ! It just makes posters more apt to post something and later Edit the same post that might damage other members/posters suggestions.

I have seen some post(s) that get a free pass to re-check sources and Edit the same post to make them look less like they knew what they posted in the First Place !

This Fly bye Night Editing should be Stopped IMHO. Without some kind of Tag that the Poster Edited his comments .. then anything goes.

If you dont do something about this .. then how are you going to stop anyone from posting anything .. then reposting the same thing that is in line of a Thread ??

Its been Done many times .. Fix it Please.

YD.

PS. I think your already on this .. :) .

toneeees

Administrator
Re: Edit button being abused

The only time I can see it being an issue is if someone was having an argument or someone insulted other members and then went back to edit it out. Making it seem like they weren't the bad guy. We don't allow the bashing in the first place, so the posts should be reported. Can anyone inform me of another situation where editing the post could cause a problem?

I've looked around and haven't been able to find anything that always displays the "Last edited by" every other forum has been asking how to remove them completely. I'll continue to look, just to see if it can be done.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have seen it as well, you make a reply, the OP goes back and completely changes his post and makes your reply look like you were replying to something else completely different than what he asked.

Some forums allow you 5 to 15 minutes to edit your post to get the wording or spelling correct without it being shown as being edited. After that it will automatically show as being edited but not what was edited. But everyone then knows it was edited.

fishrdan

Admiral

Iboat's used to tag a post "edited", if it was edited. I haven't seen that in quite some time though.

Kind of like this below... (I had to add a "reason" to get that to pop up.)

Last edited:

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Iboat's used to tag a post "edited", if it was edited. I haven't seen that in quite some time though.

Kind of like this below, though I had to add a "reason to get that to pop up.

Maybe it is a moderator permission. I reported a post and my reply was edited (correctly). Or possibly time delayed.

But when I edited this post http://forums.iboats.com/other-outb...ars-5hp-gamefisher-tecumseh-motor-615730.html after a couple of hours it certainly is tagged by me and the scripts as edited.

Edit: Testing what Don said and leaving the box blank.

Don S

When you edit your post, below the text box is a box that says "Reason for Editing" if you do not put anything in that box, there will be nothing to show that an edit was done. However, after the first edit and something was put in that box, any further edits will be recorded by date and time and by whom. But the reason will not change.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don. I learn something new every day. I swear the V3 series of the scripts always tagged it edited with or without the reason but I could be wrong.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Have seen it as well, you make a reply, the OP goes back and completely changes his post and makes your reply look like you were replying to something else completely different than what he asked.

Some forums allow you 5 to 15 minutes to edit your post to get the wording or spelling correct without it being shown as being edited. After that it will automatically show as being edited but not what was edited. But everyone then knows it was edited.

Exactly Spot on Don .. I have been in this situation recently with a thread that started out one way .. then got modified to something totally different. My postings now look uneducated and uninformed. When in fact the OP had stated X .. now he states Y.

I personally think that after a period of time the Post should not be allowed to be Edited or Amended. That would include adding pics to the OP #1 thread. Yes I have seen a page of requests for pics .. only to have the member Add/Edit his first post adding them. Why not just add them (pics) in the construct of the timeline in the Thread itself ?

Even if someone has a hard time spelling .. who cares ? Are we now the Grammar police ? No .. I dont think I have seen that too much on this forum. We dont care how you spell or put some commas in there.

Im telling you guys .. the Edit has been Abused around here.

YD.

toneeees

Administrator

I understand where your coming from and that makes total sense to me now. I'm still looking into how to make this happen. I'll figure out today.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen some one liners get a full blown paragraph Edit AFTER the main thread was under way. That is NOT FAIR ! It just makes posters more apt to post something and later Edit the same post that might damage other members/posters suggestions. YD.
I think if you're concerned that someone's future edit will make your post seem foolish or misdirected, all you need to do is quote the phrase to which you are responding. I assume that no one other than myself or a moderator can edit YD's statement that I have quoted above. - Grandad

toneeees

Administrator

I think if you're concerned that someone's future edit will make your post seem foolish or misdirected, all you need to do is quote the phrase to which you are responding. I assume that no one other than myself or a moderator can edit YD's statement that I have quoted above. - Grandad

That sounds right. If the person edits the post after 1 minute, it should now show it.

Testing the edit after 1

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Can you make the time frame at least 5 minutes? I think that will eliminate most of the issue that YD describes, but would allow some simple typo edits without the tag.

GA_Boater

That sounds right. If the person edits the post after 1 minute, it should now show it.

Testing the edit after 1

Did it work? It's been a little over a minute.

Yes, it did. Thanks Tony.

Last edited:

toneeees

Administrator

I can see it, try editing your post.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps there is a concern where a member can edit a quote such as I have done below to change the original statement to something other than what was said. My apologies to YD and anyone offended by the apparent off-color statement. These are YD's words but edited by me by simply deleting portions of YD's original statement. - Grandad
I think this is the second time I have seen some one get blown under way. That is NOT FAIR ! This should be Stopped IMHO. Its been Done many times. YD.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If that happens ^^^^^^ you need to report it. That cannot be solved as far as we have experienced as it it is not an "Edit" of a new post. However, we have 'vays to deal 'vith these people . . . :eek:

GA_Boater

I also clicked on "Last edited by GA_Boater" and got an edit history. The compare versions button shows what was changed also.

It's a nice feature.

Post Edit History

Edit button being abused
Compare Versions
Old
New
Time of Edit
User Name
Reason for Editing

July 12th, 2013 12:37 PM
GA_Boater
N/A
July 12th, 2013 12:36 PM
GA_Boater
N/A
July 12th, 2013 12:34 PM
GA_Boater
Original Post

iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic

Text Changes

Testing the edit after 1

Did it work? It's been a little over a minute.

+

Yes, it did. Thanks Tony.

Don S

I also clicked on "Last edited by GA_Boater" and got an edit history. The compare versions button shows what was changed also.

It's a nice feature.

That only works for your posts, you can't look at someone else edit and see it like that.

GA_Boater

Well I don't want to look at my edit history. :confused: