Dust Collection when Grinding Fiberglass

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This is one of the most problematic conditions of boat restoration. It's dirty, itchy, nasty business. Bad for you and the environment. Lots of discussion on how to deal with it and this is just a thread to have a place for all of us to put our best thoughts and processes for dealing with it. I'm gunna start with my ideas on the subject and encourage everyone else to chime in with theirs. Building a Shop vac Filter box is a good way to deal with it IMHO. Using a Shop Vac by itself does not work very well because the ultra fine dust clogs the filter very quickly rendering it almost useless and therefore you have to shut down and clean it a lot. A better method is to build your own filter box using a large cardboard box with 3 sides cut out of it and AC filters taped into the cutouts. You run the shop vac with out a filter INSIDE the SEALED box and the Filters in the box take care of filtering the dust. These pics will help show what I mean. There's two ways that I propose to get the Dust to the vac. One is to attach a plumbing fixture to the grinder and the vac hose and let it carry it to the vac and the other is to make a pick-up box that you can place in the boat to catch the dust as it comes off the grinder. Let's here what others have done.

ShopVacBoxandGrinderAttachment-1.jpg

PickupBox.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Dust Collection when Grinding Fiberglass

Cool idea!

For the shop vac sucking up dust and clogging the filter. I clamped an old pillow case to the hose port inside my shop vac (couple rocks inside the pillow case to hold it to the bottom) so all the dust goes into the bag instead of the filter. Same concept as the disposable drywall bags you can buy, but the pillow case is reusable.

zool

Captain

It looks to me that there may be too much distance from the vac inlet to the surface, to pull much material. I seem to have to touch the vac tube to the surface, to clean the surface of dust. But, if you take the vac inlet and attach it to a hvac register with a filter, and place it on one end of lets say a 4 foot work space, and point a fan at the intake from the other side, the velocity would keep a clear visibility, and maybe capture a good part of the dust...

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

After spending a few years of hooking up and sealing various machining , drilling, sawing, milling tools to make Products from Glastic Co. a injectable thermoset resin with 1/4 to 3/4 " fiberglass strands I can understand your plight . We had plant Vcc to almost absolute 30" and it was used everywhere and we became innovative to not itch or breath the sharp asbestos like dust that it created . This vacuum was capable of collapsing a 55 gal drum down on itself to the level of various oils and liquids inside . The problems in keeping air flow and filter maintenance go hand and hand . The other experience I had as a young maintainer was at Gradall plant with a spray paint booth that had a unrolling /advance able filter that was adjustable on Vcc pressure . I had a 127" dia pine tree destroy my old boat and plan on cutting up this summer so I thought I'd give my two cents on what I will be making up at home from readily available materials . It will use two stage /two impellor Ametec blower like shop vacs and can be bought at WWGrainnger . The filters will be made from old Hoover upright bag sweepers and the Filters can be purchased anywhere as they provide the best bang for your buck as millions of $'s were spent to research flow and dust control for you home . This winter after seeing Iced fogged crystals it left me with thinking how to make the collecters for my saw, sawzall, and 4 " grinder .I at first thought of burning and after a trial the cleaning or burying of the glass chards is as bad as the dust . Hope this helps turns on the necessity is the Mother of invention light.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

WoG, what would be the impact - if any - on the shope vac motor when you run it without filter?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I consider grinding fiberglass and outdoor only activity.

matt167

Captain

I do it in my tent workshop all the time.. Just put the shop vac hose near the grinding area and the dust is controlled well enough.. Of course use a respirator and goggles also

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cool idea!

For the shop vac sucking up dust and clogging the filter. I clamped an old pillow case to the hose port inside my shop vac (couple rocks inside the pillow case to hold it to the bottom) so all the dust goes into the bag instead of the filter. Same concept as the disposable drywall bags you can buy, but the pillow case is reusable.

I like this! I'm gunna give it a Try! Thanks for Sharing. I have a Wood Shop dust collector as well and I also works great but not a lot of people have them.

It looks to me that there may be too much distance from the vac inlet to the surface, to pull much material. I seem to have to touch the vac tube to the surface, to clean the surface of dust. But, if you take the vac inlet and attach it to a hvac register with a filter, and place it on one end of lets say a 4 foot work space, and point a fan at the intake from the other side, the velocity would keep a clear visibility, and maybe capture a good part of the dust...
Not sure I understand this???

WOG, I simply use the standard shop vac filter bags and didnt seam to have a problem. Disposable Collection Filter Bags - Shop-Vac Accessories

I also simply used duct tape to hold the hose near the grinder.

I'm not sure if my vac can use these. How do they attach? Mine either has a Foam Filter on the inside or a paper one that wraps around a 6" impellar.

WoG, what would be the impact - if any - on the shope vac motor when you run it without filter?
I Know what you're saying but, I've never had an issue...YET!!!:eek: That's why I LIKE the Pillow case idea.

I consider grinding fiberglass and outdoor only activity.
I understand but if you live in the city and have close by neighbors, this really is NOT an option. And there's always the Environmental Considerations too!!!;) When tenting the boat there's a real need to keep the dust down so you can SEE and Breathe even with a Respirator it can get so thick that it's almost impossible to do anything.

I do it in my tent workshop all the time.. Just put the shop vac hose near the grinding area and the dust is controlled well enough.. Of course use a respirator and goggles also
The Larger Pickup box fabricated from 1/8" tempered Hardboard when placed well really captures the dust well. I've also placed a small fan inside the boat to help direct the dust towards the vac pickup and that also helps.

Thanks for all the input.

Any others???

Last edited:

zool

Captain

"
Originally Posted by zool

It looks to me that there may be too much distance from the vac inlet to the surface, to pull much material. I seem to have to touch the vac tube to the surface, to clean the surface of dust. But, if you take the vac inlet and attach it to a hvac register with a filter, and place it on one end of lets say a 4 foot work space, and point a fan at the intake from the other side, the velocity would keep a clear visibility, and maybe capture a good part of the dust..."

"Not sure I understand this???"

What im saying is the biggest problem i encounter is visibility, meaning i have to vac up the dust to see the progress, and usually have to get the shop vac hose right at the surface to clear it, which means stopping to see how its going.

Due to the nature of the wheel sending dust everywhere, vacuum sanders/grinders arent really effective, unless it pulls thru the holes in the paper. But a crossflow over the work area lets you keep grinding, with real time progress and the hvac register hooked up to the vac captures probably the same amount of dust as the hose attached to the grinder...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I'm not sure if my vac can use these. How do they attach? Mine either has a Foam Filter on the inside or a paper one that wraps around a 6" impellar.

the bag sits inside the canister and the opening slides over the hose inlet comming into the side of the canister.

the foam filter is actually a wet filter only. a dry paper filter is intended for dry dust, and the bag filters are intended for fine particulate dust. This is the factory solution vs trying to use things like a pillow case. it also makes clean up a breese, pull shop vac lid, pull full bag out, throw away bag in trash. put new bag in. you just can not use the bags for wet pickup.

using just the wet filter (foam) the fine particulates are then running thru the motor since the foam is not intended to filter fine particles, however separate water and gunk when vacuuming up a wet mess. this in turn will kill your shop vac.

Here is a video I have found that shows where the filter bags go Shop Vac Filters - How To Improve Performance - YouTube

what brand of shop vac to you have? some brands have the hose entering the top. this requires a slightly different style of shop vac bags.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

the bag sits inside the canister and the opening slides over the hose inlet comming into the side of the canister.

Shop Vac Filters - How To Improve Performance - YouTube

what brand of shop vac to you have? some brands have the hose entering the top. this requires a slightly different style of shop vac bags.

Thanks for the video! I did NOT know these existed and I went and bought some today. They work great and I think every one should use them. With the Large collector box to catch the dust coming off the grinder I think it will be the Cats Meow for catching the White Stuff!!!! Thanks Scott!!!!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

I tented my hull today and added bag to my small shop vac and just ran vac with hose near my grinding and it helped tremendously. Thanks scott for the bag Idea and thanks wood for starting this thread

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you are all welcome.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks Scott,
That was not only a major bit of info about the bags, that I wasn't aware of, but following the same YouTube video, there are some really good videos of making your own home-made cyclone dust separators, that I might just have to give a go...
And thanks woody...these kinds of threads are what make this an ongoing learning experience...
My only regret is that a lot of this type of helpful information, after awhile, gets lost in the pages of time...

Maybe we can petition the powers that be to make a way we can catalog all of these tips, tricks, hints, and ideas into one area that can be easily searched...IDK:noidea:
Similar to the Completed Projects Forum, or added to the How To's at the top of the forum page...

fishrdan

Admiral

following the same YouTube video, there are some really good videos of making your own home-made cyclone dust separators, that I might just have to give a go...

One of my friends built a home made cyclone dust separator for his woodworking tools and it works great! It would be interesting to see how it works with fiberglass dust, though I don't see why it wouldn't work well.

Great info and good rules to follow. I read a cancer research article recently and it stated, "The International Agency on Cancer Research (IACR) removed fiberglass from its “possibly carcinogenic to humans” list in 2001." Thought that was interesting.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Below is a PDF file of a Separator you can build that's touted as one of the best designs out there. Fairly simple and inexpensive to build and fits on a 30 gallon trash can. I've never got around to building one but when I retire I will. I know they work great on separating chips etc but not sure about fine dust particles.

Here's a link showing someone building one

Building a Thien Cyclone garbage can separator - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

(Click the Pic to Download and View the PDF File)

View attachment Thien Separator.pdfView attachment Thien Separator.pdf

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have no problem in collecting the dust, all of it seems to land on the back of my neck and fall right down past my shirt collar to find a nice sensitive spot to stop at.