Driving and Cell Phones

D

DJ

Re: Driving and Cell Phones

If they make smoking while operating a vehicle illegal, then chewing gum, eating, drinking, putting on makeup, reading, operating the stereo, and anything else that makes the driver have a distraction should be illegal. <br />
SS, don't kid yourself, those are next, except the "make-up" part.<br /><br />I was run off the road two days ago by a "ditz" in a red Honda putting on eyeliner. When I came back on the road she spotted me in the rear view mirror and found it necessary to "flip" me off. :mad: <br /><br />She'll get her just rewards-someday.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /><br /> [/QB]
But when my kids are out driving on the same roads as someone with a 4x greater chance of wrecking, then we have a problem. [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />The logic your presenting contadicts itself. Your kids out driving the roads place a several fold risk upon everyone else. The premise that all cell users (the hands free ones) present a greater risk to society than any other "special" groups ie. teens, elderly, etc. dosn't wash. "Ban the Cell Phones" is just another liberty sucking, do- gooder, battle cry of the month PC issue. <br /><br />Let me be clear that I support the requirement of "hands free" operation of phones. Driving w/phone in one hand is a little stupid. <br /><br />I have never had a near miss due to some driver being on the phone. PLENTY with teens though. Should they be banned?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

What about road sex, or is that illegal? That surely is a distraction. Especially for the truckers :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by alden:<br />...I just have a big problem with the premise that we can legislate stupidity out of the human race....
It's not stupidity, it's laziness.....

achris

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />Because they throw them out the window causing litter and fires. I doubt it has anything to do with the distraction...
As a non-smoker I find it quite disgusting to be in traffic behind a car with someone smoking in it. The smell of those things makes me want to vomit! The other interesting thing I see is that most of the time those morons are smoking with children in the car too. :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />I for one, will put my hand up and say Ban smoking in cars!<br /><br />Chris.............

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

achris, I grew up with what you call morons. Thats my mother and father, thank you very much. It didn't bother me or my other siblings at all when they smoked with us in the car.

achris

SS,<br /><br />You think it's ok to smoke in a closed space with children?<br /><br />Ok, let me put that another way. Given what we know now..... I would still call people who smoke in cars with children inside Morons!<br /><br />Chris.........

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If they banned smoking in cars while driving, there'd be a lot of hurt people up here. I can't stand idiots on the road and a good dose of nicotine REALLY helps me calm myself.<br /><br />The whole ban smoking thing is getting rediculous. People have been smoking since before Columbus landed in America. Life expectancy has done nothing but go up since Columbus landed in America. All the stuides that show that smoking is THE cause of cancer in patients is BS. They'd have to have their test subjects in locked cells for their whole life just to definatively prove it. The rise of air-born pollutants (CFC's, etc) probably has MORE to do with it than anything. But what do I know? My friend's grandpa (a farmer living outside the city) lived until he was 102 and smoked from the age of 16. Man, a non-smoker has just as much chance of dying by walking down the street then a smoker does of dying of cancer. I'm sorry but I even thought this before I started smoking so there's no bias on my part.<br /><br />Just my rant and two cents on the subject.

achris

The whole ban smoking thing is getting rediculous. People have been smoking since before Columbus landed in America.
Just because people have been doing a bad thing for that long doesn't make it right!<br /><br />
Life expectancy has done nothing but go up since Columbus landed in America.
Probably more to do with medical advances than smoking.

SuzukiChopper

Originally posted by achris:<br />
The whole ban smoking thing is getting rediculous. People have been smoking since before Columbus landed in America.
Just because people have been doing a bad thing for that long doesn't make it right!<br /><br />
Life expectancy has done nothing but go up since Columbus landed in America.
Probably more to do with medical advances than smoking.
I agree on both points, but I wasn't saying that smoking was increasing life expectancy, just that it was happening with smoking being around and a way of life for a lot of people ;) I don't know, can't refute half of the ill effects of smoking, but there are a bunch that have me scratching my head wondering where they came up with their findings and with what variables were included. That may just well be the nieve side of myself not wanting to face life or reality though.

achris

can't refute half of the ill effects of smoking,
Why not?<br /><br />
That may just well be the nieve side of myself not wanting to face life or reality though.
Very probably.... :D :D :D

SuzukiChopper

Originally posted by achris:<br />[QB]
Why not?<br /><br />Well if you can then you can mark one up for me ;) <br /><br />refute = to disprove

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I get really P/O' with this non smoking issue. If someone wants to smoke, fine, just do it in their own space. It is their choice.<br />As for objecting to someone smoking in the car ahead of you.......well, what next. It is none of your business. (or have I missed something - was that meant as a joke?)<br />Using Mobile phone (Cell), that is illiegal here. Still goes on tho, and people do get booked for it.<br />My biggest gripe is alcohol. Probably kills more people than anything else. All the "do-gooder and complainers" avoid that one, because they like their glass of white or what ever. Never heard of someone having 4 fags in an evening, and driving home, have a tobacco related accident and kills or mames someone, or beats someone up etc. It happens with alcohol.<br />But then again, I guess some people believe they are going to leave this world alive.....<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

achris

I guess you got a point Phil, and I agree with you. As for smoking in their own space, great, all for it. BUT WHEN IT INTERFERES WITH ME I WILL START JUMPING UP AND DOWN!!!! And smoking in a car DOES interfere with me. To be stuck in traffic with a smoking (edit) in the car ahead is revolting, it makes me want to vomit, so they aren't just smoking in their space, their smoke is in my space too, AND I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM IT IN TRAFFIC CAN I?

achris

Originally posted by SuzukiChopper:<br />
Originally posted by achris:<br />[QB]
Why not?<br /><br />Well if you can then you can mark one up for me ;) <br /><br />refute = to disprove
Ok, you got me on that one, I mis-read your original words. But I think I make my point.

Link

Rear Admiral

If we could BAN STUPID this thread wouldn't exist!<br /><br />(there would be no subject to talk about) <br /><br />Lets see here in America we used to Burn Witches Alive too. (Today we think that was Stupid)<br /><br />Maybe we should Burn Smokers and Cell Phone operators In their cars!<br /><br /> :mad: :mad: :mad: that we are even talking about this in America the land of the Free???

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good Grief men. Did we forget what this post was about? Was trying to get the connection of distraction between cell phones and smoking. NOT the health issues.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Yep, you'r right, it's about Mobile Phones.<br />Sorry for that SS M.<br />I believe using a phone and driving is stupid and dangerous, but as Link said banning STUPID would eliminate this thread.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> SS,<br /><br />You think it's ok to smoke in a closed space with children?<br /><br />Ok, let me put that another way. Given what we know now..... I would still call people who smoke in cars with children inside Morons!<br /><br />Chris.........
Now I know where I got my stupidity from, thanks achris.<br /><br />If you think about it, there is ZERO difference between a cigarrette in the car and having a fireplace in the house. Guess all those evil child abusers since the begining of time should be prosecuted. :rolleyes: <br /><br />THINK about it... :confused: <br /><br />Ken

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /><br />If you think about it, there is ZERO difference between a cigarrette in the car and having a fireplace in the house.
Ken,<br />I'm not argumentative by nature, but I would only agree with you if people were burning tobacco for firewood all those years. I "think" the tar in cigarettes is probably more harmful than the residue that gets airborn due to burning oak trees. Besides most of my smoke goes up the chimney if I have the flue set correctly. When I was a child suffocating due to my step-dad's cigarette smoke, the smoke seemed to just cloud up the car. This was even if he vented his window some.<br /><br />James