Driving and Cell Phones

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Driving and Cell Phones

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> ... there is ZERO difference between a cigarrette in the car and having a fireplace in the house. ...<br />Ken
You really think so??????????

D

DJ

BUT WHEN IT INTERFERES WITH ME I WILL START JUMPING UP AND DOWN!!!! And smoking in a car DOES interfere with me. To be stuck in traffic with a smoking (edit) in the car ahead is revolting, it makes me want to vomit, so they aren't just smoking in their space, their smoke is in my space too, AND I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM IT IN TRAFFIC CAN I?
The same goes for the guy ahead of me running a diesel.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Harmful or not, smoking while driving is NOT the same as talking on a cell phone while driving. Smoking requires next to nothing for concentration, and as a post stated earlier, a bee flying in your window is more distracting than dropping a cig. <br /><br />As for being able to smell the smoke from someone infront of you in traffic. Boooohoooo!. I'm sorry but there are girls where I live that feel it necessary to drive around with 10 car freshners on their rear-view mirror that cause an odor that I find unbearable (allergic to perfumes). We don't see anyone jumping up and down to ban those do we? What about the car that burns a liter of oil an hour and stinks up the street?? what do you think those fumes do to a person? <br /><br />A person can ***** and gripe all they want about what other people do, but if we don't stop it soon then there isn't going to be a thing called "freedom" for any of us to enjoy. It's about time people start worrying about the more fundmental things in life and not petty little sh**.<br /><br />This is the last time I'll say anything on this subject.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

There is tar in everything you burn. Just think of all the sap in the wood that is burned. How harmful can that be.<br /><br />Also, fires burned 24/7 in houses, and the majority of smokers are not chain smokers. Think of the exposure over time.<br /><br />I aint trying to say smoking is harmless, but what I am trying to say is that it isnt the super mega evil that some whould like us to think it is.<br /><br />And no, I dont smoke, and yes it bothers me to sit near a smoker.<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

My sons and I witnessed a 14 year old kid on a bike getting hit by a car with THREE PASSENGERS. <br />The kid on the bike and the diver of the car were both talking on cell phones. The driver was speeding and the kid looked one time as he crossed the three lane highway. There was no other traffic around that would obstruct the veiws of both the car and the bike. Both parties could have avoided the collision had they cared enough to pay attention. After I found out from the investigating officer told me that the kid is alive and I was relieved first and then angry, at the lack of common sense of young people today. <br /><br />I have the same opinion as Ken about the cell phones. I wont talk to anyone who I know is driving with a cell phone. I will use a head set from time to time on the inter-state and sometimes in traffic jams or lights for a quick exchange of info. I need to write or become focused on the phone I stop talking and pull over so I dont become a hazzard to myself and others on the road. I hate to hold a cell phone to my head. They get mighty hot and it cant be good for my brain cells.

oddjob

Commander

Breathing clean air is a privilidge, not a right! <br /><br />lolololol....cough! choke! fart....wipe...<br /><br />A-hem!....Hey,let's ban a volcano!

D

DJ

Hey,let's ban a volcano! <br /> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
We're trying but the pesky things are just so unpedicatable, we can't seem to be in the right place at the right time.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Reading these posts has completly changed my position. I propose that the govt. lock everyone in foam padded, environmentally controled "safety huts". Speech filters will weed out any non PC language from conversations between individual huts. We can all be assigned manufacturing tasks where the proceeds go to support the hut keepers.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by alden:<br />I just have a big problem with the premise that we can legislate stupidity out of the human race.
I couldn't agree more.<br /><br />I can drive just fine on my cell phone, I'm able to pay attention to the car in front of me, and I'm not weaving in and out of lanes. Somebody else CAN'T drive as well as I can, and thus my rights and priviledges are restricted?!?<br /><br />Some people are naturally bad drivers. Some people are 4 times more likely to get into an accident, cell phone or not.<br /><br />We can't take the stupidity out of people. Taking away cell phones won't make them smarter. We can't legislate that they need to brake earlier on ice or snow, it won't stop them putting on makeup, or changing CD's in the radio while in heavy traffic, or screaming at their kids, argueing with their spouse, or falling asleep.<br /><br />You can't legislate stupidity. Much like gun laws don't affect criminals and only affect responsible gun owners, legislating stupidity doesn't work. All it REALLY does is restrict the rights and priviledges of those of us that ARE responsible.

D

DJ

Reading these posts has completly changed my position. I propose that the govt. lock everyone in foam padded, environmentally controled "safety huts". Speech filters will weed out any non PC language from conversations between individual huts. We can all be assigned manufacturing tasks where the proceeds go to support the hut keepers.<br />
I like your idea, but. Someone gets to be a "hutkeeper". That's unfair. :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by alden:<br /> We can all be assigned manufacturing tasks where the proceeds go to support the hut keepers.
Can I work in the hut worker manufacturing hut? :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br />
Originally posted by alden:<br />I just have a big problem with the premise that we can legislate stupidity out of the human race.
I couldn't agree more.<br /><br />I can drive just fine on my cell phone, I'm able to pay attention to the car in front of me, and I'm not weaving in and out of lanes. Somebody else CAN'T drive as well as I can, and thus my rights and priviledges are restricted?!?<br /><br />Some people are naturally bad drivers. Some people are 4 times more likely to get into an accident, cell phone or not.<br /><br />We can't take the stupidity out of people. Taking away cell phones won't make them smarter. We can't legislate that they need to brake earlier on ice or snow, it won't stop them putting on makeup, or changing CD's in the radio while in heavy traffic, or screaming at their kids, argueing with their spouse, or falling asleep.<br /><br />You can't legislate stupidity. Much like gun laws don't affect criminals and only affect responsible gun owners, legislating stupidity doesn't work. All it REALLY does is restrict the rights and priviledges of those of us that ARE responsible.
Homer Sompson at his best here...Chief ;)

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Ban the Idiots! Leave the cellphones, cigarettes, makeup, Big Macs, and truckers having sex alone! :D :D :D

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Holdimhook, I vote to join the Idiots.<br />I have found I have always had more fun with the idiot group as opposed to the Billy Bunter group :D <br />Cheers<br />Phillip<br />Still reckon talking on a Mobile while driving is dangerous

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People who oppose tobacco, cell phones, eating & something no-one has dare mentioned, children in the car need to get a grip with reality. While we're at it, how about people who do their own repairs to their cars....maybe their brakes don't work as good as someone elses? What about older cars that don't have anti-lock brakes ? Why don't we find the safest car and driver and ban everyone else ? Wake up ! Your freedoms are being taken away everyday in the name of safety ! Quit pandering to the idiots in congress and say enough is enough ! By the way, I'll take the cell phone using person anyday,compared to the young mother who is turning around in her drivers seat to scold, correct and or feed the kids in the back seat. For the real idiots with us, are you serious ? Do you really think that someone smoking IN THE CAR AHEAD OF YOU is causing you a problem ??????

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

The "studies" performed were funded by the insurance industry. For what purpose? To raise insurance rates of course. If you have sought a new carrier lately, try online. My wife had an accident a few years ago and I had to answer yes to the accident wuestion. Well in almost every case the question came up was the accident caused while talking on a cell phone. If I asnwered yes, you can bet the premium would have jumped. The studies don't appear to stipulate if the cellphone user was at fault, just if one of the parties involved was using a cellphone. And with the pervasive nature of cellphones in our society, a cellphone user isore likely to be involved in an accident. After all a person with a driver license is far more likely to be involved in an accident than a person who has never had a license. It's just natural.<br /><br />As for the smoking issue, our medical advances have extended our lifespans. Our medical advances have also proven that smoking causes a multitude of health problems that weren't known in the '50's '60's and even '70's. So yes the parents who smoke with children in the car ARE idiots. My parents smoked in the car when I was a child. They were not idiots then, they were simply ignorant to the truths we now know. If they had known then that second-hand smoke was dangerous, then yes they would have been idiots. It's all about the facts available at the time.<br /><br />As for the comaprison between cigar/cigarette smoking and fireplaces/woodstoves, get real. You will find far lower concentration of woodsmoke in a home that you would second-hand smoke even from only one smoker. And the second-hand smoke has far more substances than just tar. Try nicotine, chloroform, and other proven cancer causing agents. Wood smoke, well there is creosote. That is deadly if allowed to build-up and start a chimney fire that burns down the house.<br /><br />I use a hands-free unit with my cellphone an dcan tell you that even that way is a mild distraction. I have absolutely no problem with ignoring my caller if I have a situation occurring on the road in front of me. And I try to minimize my road minute on the phone. What we really need as a society is to educate and police the idiots. Don't take away the priviledges, just demand a higher level of responsibility to others.<br /><br />The smoking area being moved further away from buildings, why do you have the right to endanger my health? I don't smoke, and I hate it when I have to walk through the fog to enter a building. Having a no smoking section in a public building is like having a no peeing section in a pool. My mother died of emphysema caused by smoking. The doctors told my father and myself that it can be hereditary. So that can explain the 102yo farmer.<br /><br />Until a neutral party conducts a study that condemns cellphone use as increasing the cause[/] fo accidents, I will continue to be skeptical. Insurance companies have only one objective, find ways to charge you higher premiums for less coverage, while finding ways out of owning up to the responsibility of what little coverage they do provide. And I will continue to pi$$ and moan about others using their cellphones while driving when they are clearly incompetent at driving withoutdistractions.<br /><br />Thank you all for your time and consideration.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I would suggest that the folks who are idiots when a cell phone is stuck to their ears are idiots without the phone stuck to their ears. How about banning stupidity?<br /><br />Seriously, though...driving has become so bad that I think it's time to bring on MANDATORY Driver's Ed. Cell phone, schmell phone.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Everything I have seen in our society is a pendulum that swings wide from one extreme to the other. As for smoking, the old thought that it was OK and not a threat was one extreme, now here we are on the other extreme that anyone around you that "lights up", even outdoors is causing you cancer...is crazy.In the old days, being in a elevator with five smokers firing up a cig or cigar was probably not a good idea...I'm glad something was done about that. But today's hysterical rant that someone smoking 20 feet away from you while outdoors is somehow causing you harm is just as stupid. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, quit trying to pretend that walking through second hand smoke is causing you more harm than living near a freeway...it's junk science....nothing more. For boaters to debate this issue is even more crazy. I hate to say it, but lets face the truth, we are all burning fuel and polluting our air and water for our own personal pleasure.....boating is not a necessity, it is only for our pleasure. What happens when the rest of the world decides that we are a menace to society and we need to be banned ??? What if property owners around lakes and rivers said that we were poisoning their children's water and air....and something needed to be done about it ??

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Actually, I am mulling over the number of times I have found myself enmeshed in a gaggle of other drivers stuck behind someone who insists on driving 50 mph in the left lane on the interstate---only to discover that the culprit who created the traffic jam is some idiot in a MINI-VAN with a cell phone stuck to his or her ear. Some people just can't drive while talking on the phone. These people are dangerous and inconsiderate. But I insist, the States are too lax in granting driver's licenses.<br /><br /><br />-dd-