Does this look like a Bravo

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does this look like a Bravo

Whats the ebay number or a link. Your pic is the Alpha .

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This guy is just trying to pull some s**t. Good Luck

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

There looks to be a zerk fitting at the hinge pin...did the Bravo's have them?

The location of the water pickup holes are clearly Alpha style.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Whats the ebay number or a link. Your pic is the Alpha .

you might be right

I have a link to the unit in post #5 on this page

yea :( I saw the plug, I figured I would check and repair as necessary. thinking about it a steering arm repair done like that I have only seen outlined in the Alpha Gen I Manual can you even repair a bravo like that? I didn't even realize the u-bolts Good Eye

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

There looks to be a zerk fitting at the hinge pin...did the Bravo's have them?

The location of the water pickup holes are clearly Alpha style.

That's what I thought too, its to centered to be a bravo. A bravo is more towards the leading edge

Another thing that is bothering me and I want to apologize to everyone, I am feeling like my inexperience and mistake is taking away from others that need help with problems and not my dumb purchases on e-bay consuming valuable time

TilliamWe

Banned

That's what I thought too, its to centered to be a bravo. A bravo is more towards the leading edge

Another thing that is bothering me and I want to apologize to everyone, I am feeling like my inexperience and mistake is taking away from others that need help with problems and not my dumb purchases on e-bay consuming valuable time

No apology needed. I am off work today and glad to help in any way.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ditto... If I wasn't here, I'd be sleeping.... :D

That photo is definitely an Alpha.. I'd be happy to bet my house and contents on it...

You said he has 3 boats.... He may have one with a Bravo on it, and gave you the serial number for that after he realized the game was up...

The original serial number matches the leg in the picture. (I was going to say in my first post, that it looked about 1987). Find a picture of a bravo and have a good look at it.... The differences are VERY obvious....

Chris..........

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ditto... If I wasn't here, I'd be sleeping.... :D

The original serial number matches the leg in the picture. (I was going to say in my first post, that it looked about 1987). Find a picture of a bravo and have a good look at it.... The differences are VERY obvious....

Chris..........

Thank You

That's what caught my eye to , with I have 2 Alpha I gen I units sitting here that look just like the one in the picture. I have the rotted out 1984 1.50 that was on my boat and a decent 1.65 that I picked up for 250 .

I sent the guy an email with a link to an early style bravo one so he can see its a major difference Here is the e-mail I sent him

[/QUOTE]
Dear performancensound,

Here is a link to what a 90ish Bravo I unit looks like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330408700565

Notice the girth of the unit and the swept back configuration of the Skeg, this is standard in all Bravo units.yours is straight, In addition Bravo's use a u-bolt for mounting to the gimbal not studs.

After careful inspection of the photo supplied for your unit, I stand by my original assessment that it is an Alpha I Gen I
Please cancel the sale and refund the money

Regards,
Bill [/QUOTE]

Fun Times

Staff member

HERE WE GO AGAIN

I He says he went out and physically checked the serial himself this time here is the # he gave C705224 . A 0C705224 comes up as a Bravo 1 according to the manual and Bravo I 1988-90 on sterndrives.com I asked him to take some better Straight on pics of the units lower etc
My head is starting to spin :confused:
Let me stop the spinning for you.:D

0C705224 Comes up as a "Bravo Transom Assembly" from mercuiser,
TRN: 0C705224 Model number 6020000BS MERCRUISER BRAVO Manufacture Date: 01/27/1989

And if the drive serial number is 0C479456 then here is what the set up use to be: Engine serial number 0C393326 model number 443S100AS MERCRUISER 4.3L ALPHA
DRV serial number: 0C479456 model number 5010184AS MERCRUISER ALPHA 1.84:1
Manufacture Date: 05/26/1988 And the original owner would have been out of SENECA SC, Installed on Boat Information

Hull Id: TCT-------89 Length: 017
Manufacturer: THUNDER CR Width: 084
Nbr of Motors: SINGLE Hull Material: OTHER

And if the serial number was 0D479456 it also comes back as a "Transom Assembly" But for an alpha. TRN serial number: 0D479456 model number 6010000CS MERCRUISER ALPHA TRANSOM. Manufacture Date: 07/13/1990

The other "Transom Assembly" numbers are not not registered here in the united states anyways.

Fun Times

Staff member

No need to apologize, It's winter time for some of us, So stuff like this keeps us going.:D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Boat Tech,
Wow that is some in depth info. SO, he gave me 2 different SN the 1st one for a alpha and next one for a bravo, its imposable for the unit to be both. My trust level with this guy has tanked especially since everyone seems to be in agreement that the picture is of a Alpha 1 (very 1st Post) . It kinda seems like he is pulling #'s out of a hat . I haven't heard from him since I sent him the last e-mail yesterday, I tried calling him it rang twice then flipped to voice mail :mad: like he flipped the call.

About the only Bravo leg that looks remotely close is a Bravo II

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

About the only Bravo leg that looks remotely close is a Bravo II

But even the Bravo 2 is quite different. ;) This is a picture of two I have.

DSC_0437.jpg

achris

Does this help?

attachment.php

Attachments

• A1vB2.jpg
    A1vB2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Does this help?
Thanks for the pic 300sflyer

Hey Chris,

Yea I know, the phrase "Not a Snowballs Chance in Hell" comes to mind I am starting to worry though, this guy has my money he said he would return it BUT Its still not back in my paypal account and he hasn't responded to my e-mail.

Quick Question, would it be so terrible if I use the 1.65 I have with the 383? I haven't bought the cam yet so I can change the power curve if necessary.

Bondo

Staff member

Quick Question, would it be so terrible if I use the 1.65 I have with the 383? I haven't bought the cam yet so I can change the power curve if necessary.

Ayuh,... Changing the power curve to 6000rpms will only destroy the drive...
So,.. I'll answer your question, with a question,...

You'll be needing a Prop in the 30" to 38" neighborhood,...
How many of Those have you seen lately,+ for how Much money,..??

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ayuh,... Changing the power curve to 6000rpms will only destroy the drive...
So,.. I'll answer your question, with a question,...

You'll be needing a Prop in the 30" to 38" neighborhood,...
How many of Those have you seen lately,+ for how Much money,..??

Gotcha,
Guess Ill keep looking or just buy a SEI upper and save the headache

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

this guy has my money he said he would return it BUT Its still not back in my paypal account and he hasn't responded to my e-mail.

File a claim with Paypal through the Ebay system.

Did you fund the payment through Paypal with a credit card? If so, you are covered by your credit card company, even if Paypal sides with the seller, which is very unlikely.

achris

Gotcha,
Guess Ill keep looking or just buy a SEI upper and save the headache

I think you said you had a 1.5:1 upper, but it is badly corroded... I'm guessing the gears inside aren't corroded... pull the gears out and put them in a good housing....

[size=+1]BUT[/size] that's still an Alpha your putting behind a 383 :eek: :eek:

You paid by paypal.... bang their door down...

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I think you said you had a 1.5:1 upper, but it is badly corroded... I'm guessing the gears inside aren't corroded... pull the gears out and put them in a good housing....

[SIZE=+1]BUT[/SIZE] that's still an Alpha your putting behind a 383 :eek: :eek:

You paid by paypal.... bang their door down...

I am waiting till this afternoon and attempting to contact him 1 last time then I am going to paypal, and yes I did put it on a credit card so I should be covered either way.

I know its a lot of engine for a little Alpha, although its a very mild build its a 9.8 cr, pocket ported and match ported heads, for a cam I picked a Comp XM256 their software shows it putting out 354 hp with 450 fp torque