Do You Believe?

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: Do You Believe?

I hate to give the satisfaction of taking the bait, but this is too hypocritical to ignore. PW2 says:<br /><br />" There are, it seems to me, fewer and fewer political "moderates" out there, and things like talk radio and the internet are convincing many that the world is black and white, and that simple solutions will always work, if it weren't for the opposition, or the "activist judiciary", or the "whacko environmentalists", or you name the group. It is indeed troubling." <br /><br />We are indeed divided, but the attitude expressed above is straight down the party line. No independent thought there. It says that the opposing view is stupid, invalid and therefore to be dismissed. That is not moderate, it is a false elitism. Yes PW2, you are on the record saying quagmire. The fight right now is for morale, strength of will, and the outcome of this struggle may well depend on this battle for hearts and minds. Your attitude PW2 is one that strengthens the morale of the enemy. You have given up or probably more accurately have never been a part of and indeed have been a force against us in this fight for hearts and minds from the beginning. Of course I can see that if you think the war is unwinnable, or a waste that these views would save lives or stem the flow of blood. So, I don't call this treason or traitorous. No, it is not black and white, but your zeal for perceiving this war as an unwinnable quagmire gives strength of will to the enemy and leads to doubt here at home and on the front lines...and that part is just like Vietnam. That is the one trick that the liberal pony knows. Makes the enemy want to behead more captives, bomb more police stations, and makes them believe that the Paper tiger assessment of UBL is accurate. Do you factor that into your moderation?? Well, I for one factor the danger of "quagmire" into my moderation. I want us to avoid that. I'd hope that you could be afraid like I am, like we all are, but not be so darn sure in the correctness of your opinion. Afterall, it is not black and white. Did I point out that all the Vietnam talk, the quagmire talk, is the liberal version of fear mongering? I've heard the attacks on the republicans for fear mongering, so that comment is for fairness and balance. When FDR said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself", this Vietnam/quagmire type fear is the kind of fear he was talking about. Note that I am not trying to silence you, this is simply a fair exercise of free speech from us both. This is not typed with personal malice, as I think we are both fairly arguing what is being debated at the National level.

PW2

Commander

FWIW, I take no satisfaction in being right on this. I would have been much happier had Cheney been right, and the Iraqis greeted us dancing in the streets showering us with flowers--embracing democracy and self rule--and then of course the rest of the mid-east would see the error of their ways, elect their own democracies, and all would live happily ever after. That would have been ok with me.<br /><br />But then, I live in this world, and not some pretend world. And I refuse to take any responsibility for the ineptness of this operation, or the incompetent way it was/is being handled. Just as I refused to take any responsibility for Viet Nam for exactly the same reasons.<br /><br />We lost 134 soldiers in the initial combat phase of this operation, and we have lost 900 or so, with many more injured or maimed, since, and the number is growing every day with no end in sight. We want to have elections over there, but have no hope to have legitimate elections unless there is security, and then I don't know what we will do if the wrong people or group wins.<br /><br />We have got to get more people involved in this, whatever it takes, at this point in time. We have to get UN involvement of some sort in there.<br /><br />And we have to admit our errors, and go about this in a different way.<br /><br />And in any way to suggest that somehow dissent against current policy is contributing to the failure of that policy is a complete cop-out, and yet another example of failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions.<br /><br />Someone posted a photo of a helicopter all decked out painted like an Eagle, and perhaps at some point in time, when simply "kicking someone's a$$" is an effective foreign policy action, it will be appropriate. Until then, we need to start using some smarts for a change.<br /><br />And then, when we are not so distracted, maybe we can go out and find Osama Bin Laden and his cronies.

NOSLEEP

Commander

SCO, nice try. He still doesn't get it. And its<br />exactly why the terrorists are having such a <br />success with the liberal media. They just eat it up.

oddjob

Commander

Sorry I'm getting back so late PW. But I didnt expect you to respond to OJ, I dont think you ever have.. :) <br /><br />
And, OJ, I noticed you have not disputed any of the facts of my statement, but only the origin of them. I can't control the press, and I can't stop them from seeing the obvious, and reporting on same.<br />I would think it obvious to everyone, but since no one on this board seemed to recognize it, I felt compelled to share.
Oh!. :eek: ..let me go and actually read it PW....................................................................OK :rolleyes: !<br /><br /><br />
So when you add it all up--under this administration:<br /><br />Foreign policy is a mess.<br />Health care is a mess.<br />Domestic policy is a mess.<br />
PW , I disagree with your opinion or spin on these issues. <br />And BTW Health care (though not a perfect world, is the best in this one) is not a major problem as the media and hillary report. According to several polls (not going to bother finding and listing them, maybe trusty Ralph will have my back on that) healthcare ranks lowest on the list of issues Amercans want the Federal Gov. to reform or change foreign and domestic.<br /><br />Anyway, I just feel honored right now that you have finally responded directly to one of my many trolls. Thanks!...and I really mean that.. :) you made my day..

PW2

Commander

Let's see.<br /><br />Foreign policy is a mess. What part of Iraq is doing well? I'm curious what you disagree with?<br />We even have Rumsfeld giving heartfelt speeches on whether Saddam is alive, and when we will catch him--speeches given this week...<br /><br />Or the current tax plan, that keeps cutting taxes while increasing spending, and running extraordinary and unnecessary deficits. With no plan anywhere on the horizon that will either increase revenue or decrease spending.<br /><br />And whether or not the polls consider health care a big priority, it is unbelieveable that the current plan gives to various groups enough to fund a universal health care, and still maintain 40 million uninsured people.<br /><br />Whether or not it is important in any poll of voters does not alter the facts. It should be important to them. It's their money that is being wasted.<br /><br />What part of that is spin, and what exactly do you not agree with?

Homerr

Commander

BUSH... No question.<br /><br />Lesser of two evils yes... At least he knows how to run things.<br /><br />H.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

GW Bush 100%. No, not perfect, but orders of magnitude better than represented in the press. If history didn't wind up being written so distorted (by those whose philosophy is identical with that of the press), he'd be recorded (by hindsight) as one of the best since Theodore Roosevelt. No, not an eloquent speaker, but a true man of substance, integrity, and grit, just not recognized publicly as such. Ironic how the world events which defined his character is also the thing which he gets blamed for- most irrationally. Kerry and the media will stop at nothing. No distortion is too great if it helps their elitist candidate win.

ebbtide176

Commander

the only time i've put bumper stickers on the little truck i've been driving for 9yrs - is for this election :p <br /><br />Flush the Johns in 2004<br />and<br />Bush/Cheney 2004<br /><br />yes, i believe in GWB :)

oddjob

Commander

PW2 <br />Petty Officer 2nd Class <br />Member # 40261 <br /><br /> posted September 21, 2004 12:01 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Let's see.<br /><br />Foreign policy is a mess. What part of Iraq is doing well? I'm curious what you disagree with?<br />We even have Rumsfeld giving heartfelt speeches on whether Saddam is alive, and when we will catch him--speeches given this week...<br /> <br />
PW, I think you mean OSAMA here, right?...but either way I didnt here the speaches.<br /><br />I disagree that everything is a mess as you stated.<br /><br />Now on health care. I agree that it is not perfect and that you have some personal issues due to a close family member. and I agree there are probably some reforms neccesary for special needs but turning it all over to the gov. would be a big mistake IMO. My ex is a nurse, BIL is an eye surgeon, another is a sales rep for major drug co and I'm working for a major medical device/drug company. <br /><br />Yes there are many things out of wack, but not to the point that we socialize it. Sorry I got to run for now.. :)

SCO

Lieutenant

I'm going to remind you of what you said just a few posts up PW2, "Never trust anyone that thinks their idealogy is always right. " Certainly true allright, but aren't you implicating us conservatives with this conclusion? How about ths guy?? Is he trustworthy. Does he mirror your sentiments? Read what he has to say about Republicans. We are a different species to him. <br /> http://michaelmoore.com/words/message/ <br />My point: It's the Democrats, not the Republicans that are dividing this country.

aspeck

Staff member

I am not a party puppet, and don't agree with everything that GWB stands for, but I agree with a lot more of W than JFK! 4 Votes in my house and all four going GWB.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

If you look in the forums of protestwarrior.com, you will find a person who post pics of the every day life in Iraq. He pokes fun at people who talk like PW, by having pics with commentary. Of course those pics are of a very different nature than what the media tries to sell us over here in the U.S..