Do You Believe?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do You Believe?

I shoulda posted this as a poll. Oh well, next time. I suppose I should throw mine in here. Kerry...lesser of two evils. Voted for Perot his first time. Was glad he didn't win long before he ran the second. But he cracked me up. :)

PW2

Commander

I'm glad you used the word "believe" when discussing GWB. Because it definitely requires a leap of faith to think that GWB's polices have any chance of helping any average Americans, or in making us safer.<br /><br />If Bush had to rely on verifiable evidence, he would not have a chance.<br /><br />And it takes a complete suspension of reality to think that either Afghanistan or Iraq have been any sort of success, let alone any sort of improvement in the domestic side of the picture.<br /><br />When you are sliding down a steep slope to your inevitable doom, you are not particular about the size and shape of the branches you are reaching for. You grab at anything, and hold on tight!<br /><br />Kerry is my man today.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Must finish the business at hand, or at least keep on the same road for a while. GW is the lesser or 2 evils at the moment, much much less. Agree the choices are limited, but a man without an opinion or conviction is never needed to lead! Can you imagine sucking up to the French, Germans, Russians and showing your yellow streak to the entire world, bad bad bad plan. Stick to it, and hold a steady course straight ahead...

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bush is the man. He's done a good job, with a bad situation. He took over when the economy was falling, and even with 9-11, and the war on terror is turning it around. Yes, there is a record defeciet, but government defeciet spending is not unusual after we've been attacked and when we're trying to recover from a recession.<br /><br />I don't see how anyone can call Bush arrogant. Some say that even his smile is arrogant. Wow, let's criticize his teeth and his haircut and his... People who want to find something wrong always will. Bush is a man of principle and conscience, he was the right man then and he's the right man now.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Kerry is my man today.
Precisely how the Captain of the Titanic reacted as the whole side of his ship was ripped open and exposed! ;)

Seamus

Seaman

Hmm... I don't believe in either Kerry or Bush. I ceased believing in voting for the lesser of two evils in the last election when I made the mistake of thinking that GW was the lesser. Boy was I wrong (I think - hard to know how evil Gore could have been.) Normally I would vote Libertarian, but I honestly don't believe in Badnarik much either. Too little honesty left in politics to believe in any of them I guess. This will be kind of weird if I can't find SOMEBODY to believe in. Would be the first election since I turned 18 that I didn't cast a vote.

woodrat

Ensign

I call bush arrogant because he seems to think that he is entitiled to the presidency, and throws that loopy stuff around about how god picked him for the job. Didn't we can that "divine right of kings" thing back there with the Magna Carta? This is america, george, where the people are supposed to select their leaders in a process called "voting". And I think that the whole business of americans being better than everyone else in the world is pretty arrogant too, but maybe that's just me...<br /><br /><br />"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."<br /><br />George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

PW2

Commander

The "Titanic" is a good analogy. Bush is the captain of this ship that ran into the iceberg...Not sure whether Kerry can right the ship anytime soon, or stop the leaking, but am pretty dang sure pretending it was a good idea, and that he meant to steer into the iceberg, as Bush is doing, is not going to produce the desired results.<br /><br />I see again one of our Canadian friends is throwing his support to Bush, and that always fascinates me (not that it matters of course, as he can't vote) but that this president can somehow get people on his side in complete oposition to their own self interests.<br /><br />Take for example the softwood lumber tariffs. A few large timber companies in the US (who amazingly enough are big contributors to Bush) convinced this administration, in defiance of all rulings by the WTO who say it is illegal, have imposed a roughly 34 % duty on all softwood lumber coming into the US from Canada, causing billions and billions of dollars of losses to Canadian interests. This has done untold damage to the BC, Ontario, and Quebec economy.<br /><br />Interestingly, it has done damage to the average US consumer as well, as it is estimated to increase the cost of lumber to the consumer by about 20% (the US National Assn of Homebuilders and the retailer all oppose this tariff)<br /><br />So when the average American goes into his Home Depot to buy say a 10 foot 2x6 he is likely to pay about $5.00 for it. Without these tariffs, the price for that board would be about $4.00 Now Bush supporters can take heart in that about 1/4 of a penny of that $1.00 goes directly into the Bush campaign fund, with the balance of the 99 and 3/4 cents into the pockets of the big timber companies. All at the expense of the Canadian economy and American consumers. And to top that off, American taxpayers are funding a legal fight at who knows what cost brought by our justice dept against the WTO that they have no chance of prevailing in, as it is a classic example of a frivolous lawsuit, just for the oportunity of paying 20% more than we need to to build a house.<br /><br />Free Trade, and the North American Free Trade Agreement, indeed.<br /><br />Now add in things like the beef embargo, and grain embargo, and who knows what other restrictive trade polices against Canada that this administration will come up with, and I simply cannot understand why any Canadian could possibly support this president.<br /><br />Bush is consistent, of course, in that you can easily trace any of these trade policies directly to large contributors.<br /><br />And hey, I am not one of these Bush haters you hear about. I think the guy is talented. If I were making a product that nobody wanted, that cost people money with no apparent benefit, I would hire this administration crew to market it in a heartbeat.<br /><br />I just don't want him representing my interests.

one more cast

Captain

I will vote against Kerry, so I suppose I am voting for the lesser of two evils.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bush for me.<br />I have made more money with my business the last 4 years than I did in the Clinton years.

Ralph 123

Captain

Bush voters believe - Kerry voters just hate:<br /><br />
The Fox News poll asked Kerry supporters if their vote for the Democrat could best be described as motivated by support for Kerry (41 percent) or by opposition to Bush (51 percent). By contrast, Bush voters emphatically say, by 82-13, that they are voting for the president rather than against the challenger. <br />
Underscoring Kerry's popularity problems, voters rate Bush better on a host of adjectives. Who is the stronger leader? Bush, by 51-37. Who is more honest and trustworthy? Bush, 42-37. Who will make the United States a stronger country? Bush, 46-40. Who takes strong stands and sticks with them? Bush, 56-27.
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/28562.htm

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I wish I was impressed by any of those figures. Although they show some slight advantages to one over the other, none are terribly decisive. Except maybe for the last one. But is being bull-headed a virtue, or is being open-minded? (Okay, I know. Loaded question.)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Sorry guys, but the 383 was never a hemi. The hemi was available in the 301, 331, 354, and 392 cu. in displacements. The 426 was a hemi but of a duifferent pedigree than the earlier, smaller ones.<br /><br />The 440s and 383s have wedge-shaped combustion chambers, as do the 273, 318, 340, and 360s...at least up until now---I am not familiar with the latest "hemi" engines coming from Chrysler.<br /><br />I'll take a Ford 427 SOHC over Chrysler's 426 Hemi any day, though, as long as money is no object!<br /><br />VVVVRRROOOOOOOOMM!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Ralph 123

Captain

All Bush has to do is convince a small number of the people just voting against him (52% of Kerry voters) to change their mind (or stay home) and the election could be a landslide.... think about it... over half of Kerry's support isn't support at all, while only 13% of Bush voters fall into that category.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

wouldn't voting out bush send the message to our<br />enemies/terrorists that they have the ability to<br />effect public opinion in this country with their<br />tactics of terror?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

No. Not with the polls running as close as they have been for quite some time now. But if there is an attack and the trend swings drastically from where it is right now like it seemed to in Spain, then yes definately. So what are you saying MY? Each vote for Kerry is a vote for terrorism?