Dixie boat 170 , Floor , Transom , Stringers Rebuild. big job

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
to be honest wood, I thought of this option, you can also buy used kicker motor plates that are spring loaded can move up and down, I was never a big fan of the store bought ones, that is why I started thinking of other option, but your link is a more compact design also it would be very inexpensive to create. whenever I am able to return home we will have a look at both these options, see what way is best, I also like how your kicker plate has some stand off.. With our idea i worry about scratching the main motor aswel the transom.. Lots to think about!! but thank you both for your words of wisdom!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can also rig a Steering Rod Extension to the Kicker to allow you to control it with the Main Steering Console

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is very helpful wood thanks alot for finding that. Those are the kicker brackets in not to fond of. Not sure why I just never been a fan but if.i create the kicker bracket you sent a link for then bolting it at the proper hight to make the connection from main to kicker motor for stearing... I think this is a nice plan in the making.. il run show all this to the boss when I ship home. But I'm liking this plan. Thank you again .

tallcanadian

Captain
These are two great ideas Wood. You have me thinking now too. You certainly are a man of wisdom. It's going to be a long winter.... And Carpenter and Deep Blue, why are you guys thinking about this stuff at work..lol. You guys got the fever. The boat fever.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
These are two great ideas Wood. You have me thinking now too. You certainly are a man of wisdom. It's going to be a long winter.... And Carpenter and Deep Blue, why are you guys thinking about this stuff at work..lol. You guys got the fever. The boat fever.

I believe the proper term for that condition is "Shipwrights Disease". :D

You are both wrong...

Hi all,

My name is DeepBlue2010 and I am a Boat-Coholic :D

Last edited:

TchDwnUGA

Cadet
Great to see another Dixe 170 on here! Following along for when I have to dive into this one day. Mine seems to be in pretty solid shape at the moment, so i'll enjoy it while I can! Keep us updated!

P.S., Where'd you get that brochure on Dixie boats?

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi TCH. Glad to have you coming aboard. The 170 is a good solid all around boat. They are built well but I used mine all the way up to last summer when I choose to redo the floor and found all the rot. The stringers and transom felt strong until I opened then up to find the rot. Unfortionatly the boat was never stored in heated garage . My assumption is 30 years of moisture sneeking threw the glass then winter of -30s ( northern Canada) it eventually ate it away. Anywho. Looking forword to seeing your project one day and maybe some input on the rebuild. Also I found the Dixie flyer on eBay of all places. I was always curious what.i could find on there .

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ALRIGHT! I have returned and had a very busy weekend. had the weekend to myself ( 3 day weekend ;) ) my better half was on a course in Toronto thus I had the entire time to complete everything I could for the boat other than install or work on the actual hull itself, when I go on Christmas leave in December, the boat will be hauled into the heated garage and that's when crunch time with everything I prepared will go in, so without anymore delay!

​first myself and krista started this seat base project earlier before I left, it had some rot so we replaced some wood, we were also testing and practising our fiber glassing, wanted to do it on something not as structurally important, we wanted to glass it mainly because we would it rather not rot out again, it did last 2o years only wood, but maybe now we will get 30, one way or another it was a nice bonding experience, I think we did pretty good! one csm, then after another strip on 1708 ( 100% easier to install "1708") and after this we covered everything in some good gelcoat then sprayed this anti mold ..? leaves a pinkish residue for 12 hours and it hardens the product to a finish,, either way it is hard as a rock,

​second this weekend I had my father come down and help with all this, we unbolted the transom, ( it was clamed and drying for a month, I figure the PL was dried by then! I belt sanded it rounded all edges then we cleaned it and began laying csm over both sides and around the edges, it was a very learning curve but when we got it we got it, had a few bubbles here and there, have to re-sand and touch up some spots plus the over lay. but over all I'm happy with the outcome,

​lastly we began tracing the old stringers and bulk heads onto new plywood and cutting them, they are a rough but close cut, room for improvement when we get the boat in the shop, but they are around 80% where they need to be for installation I believe, the main stringers are the proper length and are glued together now just curing for the next few weeks,

​we built a fiberglass dispensing rig in the ceiling, primitive but it works well!

​I'm quite excited about this now, I definatly have the boat bug right now , re reading pages and getting excited, the boat came with 1/2 inch stringers and a 1" transom, I'm putting in a solid 1-1/2 inch transom with 3/4 inch stringers,, I really thing this boat will be more sturdy in the wavy lake thus I'm excited to try it out! abit slower probably, but nothing a new 115 ETEC cant solve ;)

​LASTLY! I created the thickened resin peanut butter.. I think I more made tiger fur,, or tiger hair, it was quite thick! I seen that they sent me 5/8th glass strands,,,, I figured it would work but it was real thick... I had a one gallon pail of the stuff so I may end up manually chopping it,, or just order another batch of the 1/4 inch, regardless it came out good! real thick but still went on well ,

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have an idea. Would this be more on the better side or the dose not make a difference side. I plan to install the transom cap off. Obviously much easier. When I start to install stringers would it be beneficial to re install the top cap? I continue to read about disfigured hulls and if my cradle is not supporting enough the top cap will not go back on. What do yous think about this? I habe the cradle with supports plus ratchet straps across. I just want to be extra sure. I would be crushed if the cap did not go back on...

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
we have the boat in heated garage, and now have the transom installed using tiger hair glass. came out pretty nicely.
and have begun siting and fine cutting the stringers.