Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

steve riddell

Seaman
I have a K/C Thermo Glass, 22 foot boat 90" Beam with a small command bridge that looks like it is for storage only as there ins no seats or steering(i would like to use this area to store my crab traps & fenders) When i first got the boat i raised the roof 6" so i could stand up in the stupid thing & I moved the main cabin back 16" & shortened it from 60" to 48 " to give me a bit more deck room!!
When i moved the the cabin back & rased it, i also raised the roof of the cuddy 15" high & 30 " long & then it tapers down to the bow of the boat.
My plan is to put a bigger water holding tank in the very front of the boat & have the sink, stove,****ter & a small table in the cuddy & keep the fridge under the drivers seat so the beer is close! The boat is now just about 10' tall, 5' from bottom to deck hieght & another 5' deck to top of command bridge. I know that the bayliner 2155 is about 12' tall. will ad pictures as this is a Huge project, the biggest i have seen on here! Even bigger than Ooops LOL
Thanks
Steve

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

Customizing my boat,Is it too tall?

Too tall for what?
trailering?
stability?
local bridge clearance?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud...

if you are talking about lateral stability or roll....

it depends on the weight topside. mark 42 did a hardtop conversion that weighs allmost nothing.

if you are having roll issues, you can add weight in the keel area....add another gas tank in the belly or re mount the batterys lower.

but if that dont work........you are talking sponsons ....or ....rebuild to cut the weight

steve riddell

Seaman

Hi Fello Boaters I am worried about stability in the water it is an even 9'2" tall in the middle, I have removed most of the wood as it was rotton anyways & will add more layers of glass to give it strength& reinforce it with glass gussets, I have worked on several boats & Vettes as I owned a resteration shop, so the glass part is a no brainer to me,
. I just want to build a boat the way i want it, None of the new boats are even close to what i want.
I already own a newer Chaparral Bowrider That i made as a good versatile lake boat, Now time to make 1 for the ocean.
I will show a picture of my goal that i have been working on, some of to mods to the boat i have already started & some I have changed.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

steve riddell

Seaman

Note that i got these 3 boats for FREE & Several other parts, So far the only thing i have bought is Fibre glass. This is the Hull i will use & the other 2 boats for parts

Attachments

• boats 001.jpg
    boats 001.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 003.jpg
    boats 003.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 013.jpg
    boats 013.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1

steve riddell

Seaman

this is what i have done so far (not in order) & the 40' container is full of boat parts, all free!!

Attachments

• boats 001.jpg
    boats 001.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 002.jpg
    boats 002.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 004.jpg
    boats 004.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 016.jpg
    boats 016.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 028.jpg
    boats 028.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1

steve riddell

Seaman

more picts

Attachments

• boats 017.jpg
    boats 017.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 030.jpg
    boats 030.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 029.jpg
    boats 029.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 027.jpg
    boats 027.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 015.jpg
    boats 015.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1

steve riddell

Seaman

still more have done lots of deconstruction

Attachments

• boats 023.jpg
    boats 023.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 022.jpg
    boats 022.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 025.jpg
    boats 025.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 024.jpg
    boats 024.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1
  • boats 008.jpg
    boats 008.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only way I know to answer your question accurately would be to hire a marine architect to redesign your boat for you. That would be expensive.

NYBo

Admiral

Sounds like a fun project! Pictures of your progress are mandatory.:)

steve riddell

Seaman

I found another Free boat tonite on Craigs list, 1 that i've been scopin out for awhile now, The owner never paid his storage!! This will give Me more good parts. It's an older 24' bayliner explorer, COMPLETE Even has a tandem axle trailer! So now I have a good Drive train Volvo 4 banger (Good on Fuel) I might still use the Small Block With Thru transom Exhaust would be cool.
Got lots done so far this week, It is Starting to look more & more like my Drawing (Goal) will get lots done tommorrow & Post more pictures
How do i make the pictures bigger & Describe what i'm doing undernieth the Pict?
Cheers
Stever

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use photo bucket to post the pics but make sure to size it to a forum friendly size.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I found another Free boat tonite on Craigs list, 1 that i've been scopin out for awhile now, The owner never paid his storage!! This will give Me more good parts. It's an older 24' bayliner explorer, COMPLETE Even has a tandem axle trailer! So now I have a good Drive train Volvo 4 banger (Good on Fuel) I might still use the Small Block With Thru transom Exhaust would be cool.
Got lots done so far this week, It is Starting to look more & more like my Drawing (Goal) will get lots done tommorrow & Post more pictures
How do i make the pictures bigger & Describe what i'm doing undernieth the Pict?
Cheers
Stever

now im just jelous.....a free tandem axel trailer?...geez....i wish i woulda saw

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....check the non technical forum for instructions on how to post pics....the size is 640x 480.

as far as the project im behind you on it...ill give you all the help i can....pm me for my phone number. i might even be able to drop in and help from time to time.

but its too bad you started stripping and ripping.....id take the boat to the water and load a whole bunch of weigh on top on the hard top......then get up and walk around on it.....you will need to test the stability before you can proceed....use three times the weight you think will be the maximum load.
also dont forget the possibility of wind affects on the extended portion, if you are boarderline in the calculations.....a good wind and heavy seas might just put you over.

it might not be the right boat for that kind of flybridge.....you need a deep draft and a wide beam.

as suggested a n/a will be able to tell you and i think it would be money well spent.

it would be really a shame to do the conversion then find out that the hull will have too much roll.

a yacht conversion was just done in montreal....they added a third tier to a big steel boat.....cost millions...they finally floated it, it was so top heavy it listed, so bad it just about capsized. but they caught it in time and saved the vessel.

i would link you to the thread but it has been deleted, as the naval architects were all making fun of the boat.

the solution was to add big ugly sponsons to the side of the ship.....however, the inital list was still there and it added tremendous drag to the hull......but all in all.....it seemed to work.....its called the absolu 80....google it.
there were some indications that transoprt canada might not have certified the vessel and the thread was deleted before we found out about certification.

again the whole reason for the list was waaay to much top side weight.

can you still float and test the boat?

cheers
oops

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Steve NICE SCORE on the boats/trailer/parts.... WELCOME TO Iboats!

Hey man I bet theres quite a few out there on iboats who could use some spare parts when you're all done with the donors!

definitely continue posting pics and such of your build ....rename her PROJECT FRANKEN-BOAT! perhaps? lol awsome fun! enjoy! ps

do you thing a little 4 banger would be good enough for your 22 ft deep vee?? mebbe go 6 atleast I would say......thats my 2 cents BMW makes some crazy inline sizes that haul some bu** heheheh that'd be an interesting mod:p

PS a flybridge would be cool too! spot them tuna! if you keep it light I think you'll be fine.... (I used to be a Marine Engineer / NASA flight planner ) LIE! hehe no I bet it would be fine....make the deck nice and thick and lots of fiberglass (heavy) should be good to go..........

redfury

Commander

meh, put a crows nest on it and call it good :p Could always put a big ol' keel on it like a sail boat and it'll never tip in high winds/heavy seas :D:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Could always put a big ol' keel on it like a sail boat and it'll never tip in high winds/heavy seas :D:D

lol.....mike thats what he might have to do if he gets too top heavy.....start loading lead in the keel.

this is gonna be a great build :D

redfury

Commander

lol.....mike thats what he might have to do if he gets too top heavy.....start loading lead in the keel.

this is gonna be a great build :D

Yup, if he's got your level of determination, this forum might just have TWO epic threads....:cool:

steve riddell

Seaman

Thanks Ooops!!
I have a small boat that is similar in design that i play with in the bath tub When I put My rubber ducky on the top deck & turn on the jets, the boat is quite stable so i think i will be ok!!LOL

O.k when i got the boat i did float it a few times when it was complete at the launch 2 min away from our house, With the gas tank full of water, Me & 3 Buddies (all of us 240 Gordy's) Were hangin off the boat rockin it & it seemed fine.
This model & size did come with a command bridge,no steering or seats up there, Maybe just for storage. i got the bridge from the excact same boat that some guy gave up on! I help him cut it up in return for all the parts i wanted(another good find as the boat was complete(seized motor)
Here is some more pictures from this week & will get Lots more done this weekend

Thanks for the support & the Funny Comments!! It won't be to funny when My boat is towin Yours!!

Stever

Attachments

• Project boat 012.jpg
    Project boat 012.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 002.jpg
    Project boat 002.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 004.jpg
    Project boat 004.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 008.jpg
    Project boat 008.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Project boat 006.jpg
    Project boat 006.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont worry about the funny comments.....this is the kind of build we all love :)

im still a little worried about the top weight with a second command area and 4 people top side.......but if you are sure.....go for it.

like redfury said you can allways add a small weighted keel and it will never tip.

the other thing is .......according to your drawing......the fly bridge is center supported....you will have to beef up the back end or make the ladder a structural support for the back end.

by the way......just asking.....have you done fiberglass work before?...if you have it will save us lots of typing....but happy to do it if you need assistance.

were you able to get a second set of controls and gauges for the bridge?