Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
I did get someone from the Formula Owner's forum to post a couple of pics of their platform underside . . .

20170312_143115-2.jpg
20170312_143221.jpg
This platform has the foldout step, rather than the ladder. Not exactly sure of the structure and the mounting from these pictures, but it seems to be largely surface mount, but no Gorilla tape. :D

tpenfield

Staff member
I got some information from Formula Tech Assistance Group (TAG) on how the extended swim platforms are mounted. . .

Basically, they are through bolted at the top (along with some adhesive sealant) to the cap of the boat in the area of the built-in platform, before the cap and hull are joined together. Then it looks like the lower edge and corners of the platform are bolted to the hull portion of the boat, after the hull and cap are joined.

That's why not many fasteners are visible, except for along the lower edges of the extended platform.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update:

Since the Patriots are not playing again until next weekend, :) I'll be working on the ESP 'plug' this weekend, hoping to finish it off and keep on my schedule.

I have factored some of the information that I have learned about how Formula attaches their ESP's into the design. Rather than forming a large ridge/flange underneath the platform for the 'L' bracket to bolt into/thru, I decided to simplify the design on the underside and go with 2 embedded suds in the four places where the brackets are going. This will allow me to connect the underside of the ESP to the underside of the built-in platform using straight brackets, rather than 'L' brackets.

Here is a quick sketch of the re-design.
ESP-Attach-3C.png
Overall, I think the underside will be easier to make with these changes and still amply strong.

Attachments

• ESP-Attach-3D.png
    ESP-Attach-3D.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 2
  • ESP-Attachment-3B.png
    ESP-Attachment-3B.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
I will say one thing. No matter what you doing it isnt foolin around. Hook a loose barge to it no problem it will pull it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
are you going to glass the underside to the transom or just a glue w/ mechanical braces?

tpenfield

Staff member
are you going to glass the underside to the transom or just a glue w/ mechanical braces?

I'm going to glue the 'slab' portion to the top of the existing platform and then tie in the bottom of the platform to the existing with brackets, struts and fasteners. No glassing . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
The plug is done . . .

I sanded for about 5 hours today and got all the surfaces smooth. The non-skid takes up most of the real estate, so it was a matter of sanding what is left . . . 100, 120, 220, 400 grit :rolleyes:

Lots of dust, but it is not itchy like fiberglass dust.

I put a thin coat of epoxy on it to give it a gloss coat.

Here is the plug ready to go. . .
IMG_1940.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dont you wish you were done.....

Now on to the mold....

tpenfield

Staff member
Speaking of the molds . . .

I have been ordering supplies and will be going to a fiberglass supply shop tomorrow (Friday) to pick up the bulk of the glass and resin.

My shopping list looks something like this . . .

Mold Release Wax
PVA
Mold Release wedges
Tooling gelcoat (gallon)
5 Gals tooling resin
20 yds 1.5 oz CSM 50"
10 yds 24 oz Woven Roving 38"
16 yds DBM1708 50"
6 gals VE resin
5 ea of 2'x4' Urethane foam boards 4.5 lb density, 1/2" thick ( aka "Last-a-Foam" )
Peel ply
Breather mesh
1/2" pvc tubing 100'
plastic T fittings
spiral wire wrap material 60'

I still need to get the hardware for the mounting and other fittings.

Budget-wise I am looking at about

Plug $250
Mold $400
Platform $750
Hardware/fittings $600

Total $ 2,000 ish :rolleyes:

I did a lot of searching for a suitable and inexpensive core material, and finally found "Last-a-Foam" 1/2" thich at about $3.50/ sq. ft., which was about half of other materials, such as Divinycell.

Also, I am considering doing away with the struts, since Formula does not use them on their platforms, and this platform will have a bit more 'depth' for structural support than the Formula design.

I have also simplified the underneath design, based on information that I got from Formula Tech Assistance Group (TAG). Here is the latest on the design.

ESP-Attach-5A.png

tpenfield

Staff member
My game plan for the weekend (Feb 8,9,10) is to . . .

Friday - Pick up the supplies (90 minutes away . . . nothing closer :( )

Saturday - prep the plugs with a final sanding 600/1000 grit and then wax

Sunday - Make the molds for the 2 hatches (gelcoat, glass layup, resin infusion, cure)

I am not sure I will get to the main mold this weekend . . . I'll have to see how the small molds go.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Last a foam looks interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing. On another note I like the redesign. Like you said less clutter.
I'm like you with "OVER BUILD" till the cows come home, thinking is good!

tpenfield

Staff member
Last a foam looks interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing. On another note I like the redesign. Like you said less clutter.
I'm like you with "OVER BUILD" till the cows come home, thinking is good!

Yes, getting some info on how Formula does their platforms was really helpful in simplifying the design . . . otherwise, I think I would have ended up with clutter and overkill.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Nice work, thanks for sharing. Hear ya and others on over-build/overkill, I tend do do that on things I design and work on for our family. Reminds me of something my father-in-law often said "remember, the opposite of good is better"