cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
For the general Tsos it's about finding a happy balance. It does need it. Am overnight was reccomended to me originally and that was too much. About half an hour is as far as I go now.

And I second the thighs the way you mentioned. Cast iron slow cook to temp with nothing other then a pinch of salt and pepper. then sear with heat. I take all the rendered fat make a pan sauce and do a rice and vegetable stir fry as a side when I do that. I think I know what I'm making later.
I add some love to our thighs.

Wife has trouble with the red marrow that leaches whi,e cooking but I'm a tightwad and hate to pay for boned plus I save those, wingtips and backs from whole chickens to make stock, along with veggie cut offs. So... i buy whole, family pack when on sale, bone and the season batches differently. Snp, of course. Italian, Mexican. Greek. Soy. Etc. Roll them up in a large piece of plastic wrap like a tootsie roll and freeze then put in a ziplock labeled with the seasoning used. Save my vaccuseal and way cheaper. And way easier.

It freezes while absorbing the flavor as it freezes, more so as it thaws. Ready made seasoned chicken for whatever dish you want. If skin is not required I remove after thawed and deep fry up as a side or appetizer.

Yer welcome.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah for ne 30 min to maybe hour tops soaking. Just until the juice is gone and sucked back into the meat.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I have a resturant supply house membership through the business. I'll get the 40lb cases of leg quarters and break those down. It works out to like $0.40 per pound. Whole split breasts skin on are like $1.50 per pound. It's insanely cost effective and a significantly higher quality than what you get in stores near me in most cases. I do beef and pork the same way. Select my grade, marbling and break down whole cuts.

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
Unrelated, this was our cook out at the plant on labor day. (I've worked every major holiday this year, I'm going to eat good if I'm stuck there).I cooked these on one of those cheap, used to be 10 dollar, disposable grills. And yes, the sausage is homemade. Buffalo chicken.
IMG_0880.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Unrelated, this was our cook out at the plant on labor day. (I've worked every major holiday this year, I'm going to eat good if I'm stuck there).I cooked these on one of those cheap, used to be 10 dollar, disposable grills. And yes, the sausage is homemade. Buffalo chicken.
View attachment 401459
Thank you for leaving the fat on, and adding butter fat. If I'm gonna die, which i am, I try to manage my way happy to the grave.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have a resturant supply house membership through the business. I'll get the 40lb cases of leg quarters and break those down. It works out to like $0.40 per pound. Whole split breasts skin on are like $1.50 per pound. It's insanely cost effective and a significantly higher quality than what you get in stores near me in most cases. I do beef and pork the same way. Select my grade, marbling and break down whole cuts.
While I mostly use iqf breasts when needed, totally love the real bone in skin on. They grill so much better. I was at Walmart a few years back, sad I know, and asked the stocking dude in the white coat that made him look like a person that knew about meat if they had them and he said 'they don't make em like that'. Have not bought meat from Walmart since.

We have small, old school local store that I buy 90% of my meat from now and from a local farm. Best sirloin ever.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have danish family and I love this. Expensive but I try to order several items at once but so soft, silky and strong subtle herb flavor (I know that makes no sense)

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I made some homemade pierogies. (Don't grill me on the paper plate. I didn't want to do anymore dishes)20240928_224138.jpg

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
I do rolling shift work so I typically don't get too much time off and I need to do something to feel productive. I'd rather be on the boat honestly.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've been consistent now for several months with my thin crust, almost have to to a cracker crust so I guess i need to master the chicago pie now.

1728305369784.png

1728305353666.png

1728305289543.png
1728305275599.png