cooking

aspeck

Staff member
Only thing I have cured was pork (I turned pork shoulder into a really good ham recently) and for our New Year's Eve Party I cured a venison hindquarter. Never had venison ham before, but I will do it again! Delicious!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cooked a flank steak for the first time last ight. 4 hour marinade in red wine and some sices, it was awesome.

I was surprised on how long it took to cook on very hot cast iron and to watch it seize up into such a smaller pie of meat. Any tips on not overcooking the thin side like I did?

FLATHEAD

Commander
Only thing I have cured was pork (I turned pork shoulder into a really good ham recently) and for our New Year's Eve Party I cured a venison hindquarter. Never had venison ham before, but I will do it again! Delicious!
Former coworker made venison ham. It was really good. I would make venison pastrami and we would swap some.

sangerwaker

Commander
Anyone try smoking cream cheese? Mighty tasty. Made this one with chili starter seasoning. Might be the best one I've made yet.

Attachments

• 20230223_151107.jpg
    20230223_151107.jpg
    851.6 KB · Views: 3

sangerwaker

Commander
We chill it after smoking it. It does lose some of cream cheese's consistency. Warming it up does not make it spread any better. We've been just eating it chilled and put onto crackers, or stuffed in jalapenos and cooked again, or on a sammich...or....

We made some smoked stuffed chicken breasts and used some smoked cream cheese as filling. Delicious.

Lots of recipes out there for smoking cream cheese. We prefer to dry rub only, and either use a little bit of olive oil or bbq sauce over the top, depending on what seasonings you use. Be sure to lightly score the block prior to seasoning it. 200-225 in the smoker for 2 hours on a piece of foil.

sangerwaker

Commander
It does not melt, even at 225. I thought so too until I tried it. Lots of recipes on the web. Use your favorite seasoning. Experimentation is the fun part.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Pizza was a Reuben. Olive oil then corned beef and kraut with thousand island for drizzling

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Uses 12 briquettes in the big chimney and only 8 in the smaller one we have . Completely room temp steak like hour or more on counter soaking up seasonings then sear. Perfection