cooking

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I quit smoking 7 months ago and rather than get a better sense of taste I have now lost mine. I can't taste sweet something all. My sinusitis is worse than ever, I'm breathing through my nose 90% of the time or more. My mouth is constantly dry and I bet that has killed my taste buds. Food was a huge part of my life both cooking and of course eating. I quit smoking and never gained a single pound. I don't have an appetite any longer. It sucks. We don't appreciate the things we had until they are lost. My Ear, Nose and Throat Doc is a beauty. I went to see her, she looks up my shnozze scrapes my tongue, looks at it and says to me as a matter of fact "It must suck being you." I've had 3 nasal surgeries with zero improvement in the last 5 years.

Enjoy all.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My ENT is a hottie as well. I have reoccurring ear issues so I always tell he I missed her and just wanted to come see her beautiful eyes.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
biscuit prep with a happy wife

viD7F45.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
soft scrambled with feta and leftover grilled shrimps and a few green onions in there. Asiago sourdough with butter and fresh ground pepper.

di3Gp27.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did some more chicken stock. Simmered overnight, it gets a bit more golden and depth of flavor is way better.

FRSHJ0y.jpg

MRS

Commander
I would like to try and make some fish jerky but do not no how to do it. Come on you experts here how do I do this. aspeck already gave us his smoking secrets and turned out yummy so now I need to make some fish jerky. :fish2:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ya know, i haven't thought about that. I might have to try that. I think one of the first key things to consider it the type of fish to use. Like Cod i think would be out, but something like mahi or swordfish would work. I have a hunk of some ocean perch that was ok regularly cooked but might be great for this. needs a good salting. hmmmm...

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Salted dried cod is a big thing around here, but to eat it its soaked overnight and then cooked. Not exactly jerky though....I'd like to see a recipe for that too...

foodfisher

Captain
Tuna. Had a friend bring some tuna jerky from Mexico. Really good. Must be some info on the interweb.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and have learned how to make a full size pizza. Only done little ones thus far.

w40oH8B.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
steaks over the fire last night. Mine was marinated terriaki, hers was S&P

Y0L6l2G.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
with a side of green tomato thai soup.

green tomatos
jalepenos
toasted black mustard sees, cumin seads
cilantro
coconut milk

4U2hH8r.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and can't forget the Quad B side dish. Baked potato with Butter, Bacon and Bleu cheese.

C34OegB.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
I would like to try and make some fish jerky but do not no how to do it. Come on you experts here how do I do this. aspeck already gave us his smoking secrets and turned out yummy so now I need to make some fish jerky. :fish2:

In a sauce pan gently mix over low heat until the brown sugar is completely melted (I prefer real maple syrup over the brown sugar):
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt (Some like no salt, but I prefer a little bit of saltiness in the jerky and I think it keeps longer)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
Once the sugar is melted, allow the mixture to cool completely. Cut one pound of fish fillets into 1 inch strips. Place strips into a ziplock bag and add cool brine mixture, making sure as much of the air is removed from the plastic bag as possible.. Place it in the refrigerator for 4 - 8 hours, depending how much flavor of the brine you want ti to maintain. Longer time means more brine flavor and less "fishy-ness."

Take fish strips out of ziplock and place them in a strainer for at least 5 minutes, allowing the brine to drip off. Then pat dry with a paper towel.

Spread strips of fish out in your mode of dehydration so they are not touching. If using a dehydrator, follow instructions, but it will generally take 4 hours. If using your oven or smoker, keep temp around 150 degrees and plan on the fish being in the oven for up to 12 hours. Dehydrate fish.

If kept in a cool, dark place, fish jerky should last about a month. In the refrigerator is should last up to 6 months.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
So, after curing and smoking my own bacon, I'm now getting into making hot sauces. I've got a number of jars of peppers fermenting away in the basement. I made an EXTREMELY hot sauce this weekend using a half pound of Carolina Reapers. I'm letting the flavors build a bit before I taste it, but I made a sauce a couple of weeks ago using three Reapers, three ghost peppers and a bunch of serrano peppers; it is so hot that a less than a drop of it on the tongue will burn like crazy. I can't wait to try the full-Reaper sauce.