cooking

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
garden tomatoes are just getting going. love a tasted tomato sammich when the tomatoes are in season.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah we got a late start - i normally gamble with the frost in late march. our usual 'go live' is 15 april (tax day ironically) but we had a hard freeze into may so lost the battle three times.

but, they are starting to pop

Hz1GgZb.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Last night I grilled directly on the coals.

Corn, no husk, took about one minute. Inch thick strip steak took about four.

Life changing. Really.

Make sure as always your meat is completely room temp.

This PSA was brought to you by the Lump Charcoal Association of Middle Tennessee.

Forgot I took a pic.

llYHm8C.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and my wife is learning how to cook, she nailed this one. Pan fried chicken, sauted onions in a whole grain mustard sauce, fresh squash from the garden roasted with Parmesan and cukes and onions pickled as well

fBvi9Dp.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did the direct on coals grill again last night. Same result. Yall need to try it.

I'm thinking about making a specialized 'grill' for this. Currently do in the Egg but that is so deep and when i to the veggies in the basket its a bit difficult. But if i make a square maybe 18" on some legs just can drop in a dozen or so briquettes.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Don’t think I’ve showed you my wiener yet?

I have family in Denmark and one of the first native foods I can remember back when started going there in ’76 was the hot dog from the cart on most every street corner it seemed like. As an adult, going back to visit my sister in her small town is to stop at the small 10 seat shop next to the marina and eat one. There is a pretty particular way of preparing with certain condiments one of them being a remoulade sauce which is used on many things – almost like ketchup is used here. It is sweet. Also with sweet quick pickled cucumbers.

I belong to a group on FB that is a regional food group to the area where my sister lives and a few weeks ago I commented on a wiener picture and a Dane in St Louis hit me up and told me he was importing a batch and if I wanted any. Well. 24 lbs later……

The remoulade I ordered form a specialty store in St Louis (lots of Danes in St Louis and north) is not here yet so I compromised with ketchup which I NEVER use on burgers or dogs (mustard and onions only), and bread and butter pickles which I accidentally bought a few weeks back. A bit of red onion as well. I went out on a limb and added cilantro, very much not Danish but I enjoyed it. Found a roll at wally world that works – I slice in half thru the top then slice a pocket in each half and load up.

So good, natural casing, and a certain flavor I’ve not found anywhere else, maybe northern Germany. My wife enjoyed hers so much I though she might have a Harry met Sally deli scene.

So – without further delay I proudly present you my wiener:

Z3aHinp.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
nothing special but always good. Cheap chips and tilamook extra sharp with a few peppers from the garden

cH0rMUx.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i think i posted about my two ingredient dough, if not look it up but essentially it is equal parks greek yogurt and self rising flower. This is naan so you roll thin and throw on a hot skillet, cast iron preferably. Then the white sauce is form michael symons new show where hes cooking with his wife and nanny in the back yard on weber grills. no matter your choice of dough do the sauce and the asparagus. Amazing.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/grilled-white-pizza-8847584

3AAFzIE.jpg

MRS

Commander
Since you showed me your wiener I will show you mine.

Attachments

• photo337350.jpg
    photo337350.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
MRS, getting ready to have a wiener party not that my remoulade sauce made it in from Copenhagen and i think i will have a bowl of peppers avail for these as well.

And secret, my party is for when the boy gets home. He got off the ship last week, he's just pass his Rona test in Baharain and later this week into (probably) Baltimore. Then another test an on to Seattle to close out his service on 24 Sept. I'm flying out 23 Sept and ubering to a hotel along 90 (path out of Seattle to the east) and we are road tripping home to surprise his wife and everyone else. My wife and I are the only ones that know of this plan.

Top Secret, you have been read in - death is punishment for breach.

Side note, fist class on Alaska BNA to SEA is only $238 right now. No food, hopefully drinks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Isn't it amazing how, as kids, we enjoyed local eatery and remember that taste into adult life. I once lived on a mountain side in North East Pennsylvania in a very small coal mining community. And there was a mom and pop place about ten miles away in another small community that made these amazing hamburgers. No, they weren't the typical type but made in a special brown sauce that the burgers were cooked in. They would literally melt in your mouth.

Those days there wasn't any "filler" materials added to anything. Well seem the mom and pop retired and sold the place off to another owner. BUT, they refused to give the recipe over to anyone. And since they are no longer living, that recipe will never ever again be made. Sad and knowing how many tried to copy that recipe and never succeed at it either. A amazing taste lost forever... :sorrow:

MRS

Commander
MRS, getting ready to have a wiener party not that my remoulade sauce made it in from Copenhagen and i think i will have a bowl of peppers avail for these as well.

And secret, my party is for when the boy gets home. He got off the ship last week, he's just pass his Rona test in Baharain and later this week into (probably) Baltimore. Then another test an on to Seattle to close out his service on 24 Sept. I'm flying out 23 Sept and ubering to a hotel along 90 (path out of Seattle to the east) and we are road tripping home to surprise his wife and everyone else. My wife and I are the only ones that know of this plan.

Top Secret, you have been read in - death is punishment for breach.

Side note, fist class on Alaska BNA to SEA is only $238 right now. No food, hopefully drinks.

Sir, I will keep your secret at all means!
Congrats to your boy and you says a lot about you too. :) Can't wait to see photos of the event....

MRS

Commander
Did rib eye and corn today 😋

Attachments

• photo338311.jpg
    photo338311.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I smoked a bacon lattice-wrapped meatloaf last night, and made some vinegar-and-salt roasted potatoes to go with it.

Attachments

• photo338409.jpg
    photo338409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo338410.jpg
    photo338410.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
nice lattice work.

i love a good meatloaf, both fresh and in a cold sandwich but surprisingly I've never done a bacon wrap.

Anything fun in the mix? I've used garaam masala before.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Nothing too crazy in the meatloaf... bacon and onions (both cooked), barbecue sauce, an egg, some herbs and spices, and saltine crackers. It's designed to be a bit firmer than many meatloafs so it will hold it's shape without being in a loaf pan.

The lattice work looks fancy but is surprisingly easy to do.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I've done the lattice just to make a large chunk of bacon. Once I got it figured out it was easy.

I don't use loaf pans either excel to store. I make a few loafs when I get a good deal on meat.