Chrysler 75hp, need direction.

Tapphouse

Seaman
Surprised me the compression is that good being 45 year old outboard. I don’t remember it being that high when I first checked it.
NO I’m not sure at all if top cyl is running lean or not. Just using flashlight and moving it in/out you can see it’s not as good a shape as the other two. it’s brown and dry. I tried to get a pic but it’s way too difficult. I don’t want to pull the cover to see pistons, but I will if need be. Looks like everything is original on this motor. Honestly I’d like to keep it running strong and use it, hence the efforts and questions.

Nordin

Commander
If I was you I would check the carbs by clean them, set the float levels and set the air/fuel mixture screws them start it up and run.
The floats should be level with the carb casting edge when turned the carb up side down.
Air/fuel mixture screws should be 1 1/8-1 1/4 turned out from lightly seated.
It is a starting point, then you maybe have to fine tune them.
You can pull the head to look at the pistons and cylinder wall but be careful when unscrew the head bolts.
If the head bolts are hard to loose you maybe snap some them.
When putting the head back you have to torque the bolts in three steps to right value and in a circular pattern.

Tapphouse

Seaman
Hey guys,
Lil update….. been awhile but pulled the dog bone and found the screens were plugged up with carbon and fine metal shavings. Cleaned everything up just waiting on gaskets to put back together.

Took fuel pump apart, didn’t see anything, waiting on diaphragm and gaskets to put back together.

Pulled the 3 carbs and went thru them, they are clean, and floats are set properly. Should be good. The valve/ hose in bottom carb from air horn was plugged off solid with debris, not sure what that valve does…..
Quick visual at the reeds seem to be good. Super clean and smooth, nothing cracked, chipped or broken.

Other thing I noticed is all my vac hoses didn’t have a clamp, so possibly/ probably pulling in air. Waiting on new hose and clamps to replace.

Anything else to check while I have it all apart? Appreciate it, thanks!

topgun3690

Ensign
Other thing I noticed is all my vac hoses didn’t have a clamp, so possibly/ probably pulling in air.
These engines do not have a vacuum system like your car has.....those are not vacuum hoses. Maybe post a pic of what you are talking about.....

Tapphouse

Seaman
Hello TopGun!
I was under the impression these black 1/4” hoses ran of vacuum from the crankcase, there’s one from the fuel pump to the block, one from the dog bone to the top of carbs, and there’s one from air horn to behind bottom carb…. This one I’m confused about, and what it does.

IMG_0281.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 8

topgun3690

Ensign
The air box has a hose that runs to the bottom of the intake behind the bottom carb......some fuel gets spit out the front of the carbs during operation, runs down to the bottom of the air box and is routed to the intake by that hose to be run through again......

Tapphouse

Seaman
Ok. What about the one from the fuel pump to the block (2nd pic)? Wht does that one do?
Should I have clamps on these hoses, since they are not under pressure?

Nordin

Commander
The fuel pump works from over pressure and under pressure (you can call it vaccum/over pressure pulses from the crankcase).
The hose is for this function.
When you have the pump apart check the check valves in the pump.
From my experience they do not go bad, they last almost forever.
When assembled the pump with new diaphragm check it by blowing and sucking with you mouth through the intake line.
You should be able to blow but not suck.
Do the same with the output line and it should be reversed.
Sucking okey, blowing no.
All these hoses to fuel pump, recirculation system and bottom crank case to intake cover did not have any clamps from factory.
You can check these from cracks and if no cracks do not change them.
I would suggest you just to start the engine and run it and see how it performs if you do not want to pull the head and check the pistons.
If it not has been running in salt water or been less time in salt water the head bolts should not be to hard to remove.
The compression is pretty good and equal and with new fuel pump diaphragm and clean carbs it would start and run.
Set the air/fuel mixture screws at 1 1/4 turn out from seated, it would start and run.
Then you maybe have to fine tune the carbs.

Tapphouse

Seaman
Very cool, thanks for the info. Hopefully after this stuff is completed it will run decent.

Tapphouse

Seaman
Afternoon everybody,
Last left off I was waiting for gaskets. I installed the gaskets and the fuel pump rebuild kit.
I read Frank’s link & sync about a dozen times and I believe I have things Close. Just need to get it on the water for the last section.
Here’s my confusion…….
When I roll the throttle forward and shine light into the 3 carbs the inner plates don’t seem to move until almost the very end of throttle lever travel, then roll open. Is this normal? In my mind it would slowly open equally to the advancement of the throttle lever no? Open -close is approximately the last 3”or so of travel at the end of forward throttle.
Maybe that’s how it is, but seems like a fair bit of mid throttle action not being used?
Appreciate any insight as always! Thanks.

topgun3690

Ensign
Maybe that’s how it is, but seems like a fair bit of mid throttle action not being used?
That's pretty much how it is......they open late. But if you watch the distributor it is advancing the whole time before the throttle plates open fully at WOT......it's like ....magic! Lol.

Nordin

Commander
Look at the throttle cam curve and you see how it is shaped.
As topgun says, that is pretty much how it is.