Chrysler 75hp, need direction.

Nordin

Commander
Measured the gap at the block for the timing rod at my 1975 Chrysler 75Hp.
I have the Magna Power I system with electronic distributor (optic diod eye instead of points).
The gap is almost 1/2 in (12,3 mm metric).

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I numbered the teeth 1-97 CCW just as a reference point, on that sticker if fires one line left of 32*. Where on the sticker do I want plug #1 to be firing?

Nordin

Commander
As it is to the left of 32 drg right now it is more then 32 drg. Maybe 33-34 dgr.
Retard it to 30 dgr or something around there 29-28 dgr.
Try from there.
The gap between the timing rod would be about 1/2 in at 28-30 dgr.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I’ll try it.
Do you know on the sticker what marks would be 28*-30*? As it only shows roughly 5 lines between 32*-TDC on the sticker.
Also the tab is it just a reference point? Or does the notch mean something more?
Thanks a million Nordin.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So after redoing “link and sync” and at full throttle I’m having trouble getting plug one to spark much less than 32*. The gap in the distributor block is 1/4” I would need more to get it to go more right.

Last edited:

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I’m clearly missing something here or there is an issue with the position of flywheel/distributor.
At WOT and 1/2” gap it’s at like 33*-34*. If I turn the plastic block on distributor all the way closing the gap it’s just under 32*-31* at WOT.
If my math is right it should be 8 teeth left of TDC for desired timing. 9 teeth is best I can get with 1/4” gap puts me at 32* WOT.
How important is the gap on the plastic distributor block?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
If you do not got the timing retarded when adjusting the timing rod there are something wrong.
Check the zero setting of the distributor.
Make sure with a screw driver that the top plug is at TDC and check it compered to the sticker. Is the sticker at TDC when the top piston is at TDC.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I do get some retard when the gap closes. Not as much as I thot I would. Most I can get is one line right of 32* mark on sticker.
It’s at 1/4” gap now and on 8 teeth left of TDC which is roughly 30* if I did the math right.
TDC is set with screwdriver in top CYL and distributor pulley is lined up to the edge of flywheel.
The two things that have me confused is the plastic block gap (1/4”) and the fact I can’t go less than 30* without completely closing the gap.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I read in another post you replied to, the guy had a 100hp Chrysler outboard with a possible sheared flywheel key. His wouldn’t start tho.
Do you think this is possible for mine?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Well you can check the flywheel key to be sure, but as the sticker 0-mark lines up with timing plate mark at TDC I do not think it is shared.
I would suggest you to start it and check how it perform now.
30 dgr is in my opinion better than 33-34 dgr BTDC you had before.

Nordin

Commander
The gap at the timing rod block at my 1975 75Hp Chrysler is about 3/8 in (9,5 mm metric) at 30 dgr BTDC.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for all your help. It will be a few days before I can test it. Really appreciate it, Talk soon.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi,
I pulled boat into driveway and put on the muffs. It would not start at all unless in neutral and throttle all the way forward.
Once in this position it will start first crank every time, but will not idle. It will stall out immediately.
I’m thinking RPM and air/fuel screws need to be dialled in better. But just to confirm and rule out anything I missed………what is the plug wire order from bottom of the distributor? Looking DOWN FROM THE TOP i have under adjustment block plug#1 plug#2 then plug#3 in clockwise rotation, is this correct?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Yes, firing order correct.
You says it would not start unless in neutral and throttle all way forward.
If I do not missunderstand you it sounds right if the idle screw at timing tower is not adjusted right.
Maybe the throttle butterflies not open up at all when you throttle all way back. The idle screw maybe need to screw in (CW) to limit the throttle going back to far making the engine not to idle.
Since it is in neutral the interlock arm at the shift rod will limit the timing tower to fast idle and that is not so much move for the throttle cam at the throttle rod.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Be a few days, but I will check and set the rpm’s on the water. I think it’s set too low now since the timing has been changed. Also the air/fuel screws need adjustment.
Anything else you can think of I may need to know? Talk soon.
Thanks!

Nordin

Commander
Set air/fuel mixture screws 1 1/4-1,5 turn out from seated.
Start the engine and warm it up.
Follow Frank A.s link and sync at top of this site.
Check and adjust the throttle pick up point adjustment as Frank A.
Dial in the carbs air/fuel mixture screw and set the idle RPM to about 1200
if you do it with muffs in drive way, 700-800 RPM in water and in gear.

Tapphouse

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, when setting air/fuel screws……. Do I move all 3 evenly at the same time? Or each one individually? I would think each individually to set each carb, no?

Nordin

Commander
Set all air/fuel screws at 1 1/4,note the setting.
Start the engine and warm it up.
Start to turn the first (top) slowly 1/8 of a turn CCW, let the engine adapt the new setting (about 10-15 sec). Continue with this until it start to act up from to rich mixture.
Note the setting and turn the screw back to the start setting (1 1/4).
Than do the same procedure by turning the screw 1/8 CW until it start to act up from to lean mixture. Note the setting.
Set the screw in the middle of this two settings.
Do the same procedure for the other two carbs.
I think you will end up with a setting for all carbs at nearly the same spot.
For myself I set them all at the same spot, about 1 1/4-1 1/2.
You will not see any different in performance at high speed, but you will see it at idle.
As past Frank A said, DO NOT SET THE MIXTURE SCREWS LESS THAN 1 TURN OUT FROM SEATED.
The idling will be better with screws set less than 1 turn out from seated, BUT it can end up with melted pistons as the low speed circuit in these carbs is working at high speed too.

topgun3690

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For myself I set them all at the same spot, about 1 1/4-1 1/2.
I ended up doing the same......set them all at 1 1/4......runs great at that setting so didn't see any reason to mess with it further. Had it not run well at that setting, would have done like Frank A. suggested. And I know for sure they're not set below 1 turn out from seated......