Chris Craft, input wanted?

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chris Craft, input wanted?

Brett did you seam the covers down the middle and the cockpit cover at the windshield? A material list would be awesome!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Brett did you seam the covers down the middle and the cockpit cover at the windshield? A material list would be awesome!!

Send me a PM with your address! I'll get 'em out this weekend? I made a 2 piece windshield section (saved on fabric, could be done as one?) basically cut template down the middle then added 1/2" for seams and sewed it back together.) I sewed two 60" x 90" pieces together (longwise, along factory edge) used a felled seam. My seam between the cockpit and windshield meet right at center of windshield top extrusion. My templates are actual size, so you'll have to add allowances for seams, depending on what type you do? I think a simple felled seam works just fine?

The front bow cover is one piece and has snaps on the top side that connect to the center swing out windshield.

I'll put together a list and PM you! Bruceb58 gave me a good idea for the edges, rather than use binding..I highly recommend that style. I can send the link of a post by him that he sent me as well...looks very nice and professional. Without a binding attachment, it's tough to line up edge of material and the folded binding, maybe if you get 1"?

~Brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Without a binding attachment, it's tough to line up edge of material and the folded binding, maybe if you get 1"?
I now use 1" binding. Much more forgiving even with a binding attachment which I highly recommend.

IMG_20140201_160716.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Brett, if you haven't already done so, sew in some vinyl along the front edge of the windshield if you plan on towing with it.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Brett, if you haven't already done so, sew in some vinyl along the front edge of the windshield if you plan on towing with it.

Where the bow cover and windshield meet? I was going to sew in some heavy duty velcro where the bow cover and cockpit cover touch?

BTW, that 1" binding does look a little more forgiving!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Where the bow cover and windshield meet?
No, the top edge of the windshield, especially if it isn't super rounded.

BTW, that 1" binding does look a little more forgiving!
The guys that are good use it because its a little less obtrusive but, for us amateurs, we need all the help we can get. It's only an 1/8" on each side but that can make a difference.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

No, the top edge of the windshield, especially if it isn't super rounded.

The guys that are good use it because its a little less obtrusive but, for us amateurs, we need all the help we can get. It's only an 1/8" on each side but that can make a difference.

Bruce...that was my intention (in my head, along with a few voices!) until I put the templates on. I ran my hand around and other than the bimini main pole brackets, the whole top edge is smooth, no right angles...I might still do it anyway? I made the seam more or less meet at the rounded edge so there's 2-3 layers of the material...granted it's only 3/8"!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Looking fantastic Bud!!

They turned out very snug and fit very well! I need support poles still (ordered) I sewed in add'l material where they go! All in all, very happy with results...total cost was just north of $140.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe that I am correct in that you need a commercial grade sewing machine to make the vinyl seat cushions. But, do you need one to make the boat cover too? Or, can you sew/make a boat cover with a standard sewing machine?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I believe that I am correct in that you need a commercial grade sewing machine to make the vinyl seat cushions. But, do you need one to make the boat cover too? Or, can you sew/make a boat cover with a standard sewing machine?

Marc,

i wouldn't say you need an industrial sewing machine to sew vinyl...actually, vinyl is very easy on a standard sewing machine as long as you're not trying more than 4+ layers. It is advised that you use an older machine as they typically have metal gears that will not get tore-up with hard use? My other machine is a Free-Westinghouse from the 40's and when I did the vinyl in my Baja it worked oaky, but by the end she was a little "tired".

As far as covers go, depending on material, it's easier in some ways than vinyl, but tougher in others...the vinyl tends to be smaller pieces and can pull through without too much issue. The material I used (WM80) tended to slip when I got too much weight in front or behind the machine? A nicely crafted sewing table would eliminate a lot of the pulling...as long as your actively paying attention, you can handle the shear size of the cover material?! Sunbrella, the industry-high standard cover material is tough and anything over 4 layers will chew up even the most robust home machines, if used for more than a few covers...it's just very tough stuff! My Industrial 3/4HP machine would struggle some, depending on where I started the needle?

Let me know if you need more info...bruceb58 is a great source as well. He has a walking foot machine so material bunching and pulling is all but eliminated!

I would say, buy a used, older machine, get some scraps and practice! If you can get a walking foot (industrial or otherwise?) I'd recommend that for both vinyl and cover material.
~Brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The main problem is the thread size. You really want bigger thread sizes so it doesn't cut through the vinyl.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

The main problem is the thread size. You really want bigger thread sizes so it doesn't cut through the vinyl.

^
|
|
|

See what I mean! I didn't even think of thread size...but alas, bruceb is correct!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Got a lot of the little items tackled today...

Got the old cup holders out and installed my new stainless steel ones.

I had a lag bolt break off when I removed the old motor...drilled a new hole (all nice and "blonde" wood), slathered the new lag with 5200 and re-installed.

Got my bilge vent hose put in.

Got my letters installed.

Made aluminum moor cover snap-in poles...I even polished the aluminum!

Got my front handles (bow) installed.

I purchased my bimini and had to cut it down 10"...was gonna mount it today, but the center poled is too long, most likely gonna have to cut it down too! Tomorrow.

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Awesome Brett! Lookin good and love the lettering! Which cup holders did you get? You have a link? We had some good weather over here this weekend finally so I got some progress myself. Finally picked up a piece of marine ply and got the sun deck cut to size, routed edges, sanded and a coat of stain. Also got the hinge backers and latch block glued up. Any progress is good progress :). Feels good to get outside again lol.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Awesome Brett! Lookin good and love the lettering! Which cup holders did you get? You have a link? We had some good weather over here this weekend finally so I got some progress myself. Finally picked up a piece of marine ply and got the sun deck cut to size, routed edges, sanded and a coat of stain. Also got the hinge backers and latch block glued up. Any progress is good progress :). Feels good to get outside again lol.

Thanks...yes it does!

I got cup holders as an 8 pack for $43.99 + SH ($7.99). Got in three days too!!

LINK

The ebay listing says they're made in china...but mine all say "American Made"? High quality and they have foam ring with adhesive, so no caulking needed...If it does end up needing it, then I will use some outdoor UV stabilized caulking?!

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Got my flag pole made (oak with 5 coats of poly, teak in 3/4" dowel is hard too find locally). Bough the mount as well...

oak flag pole made and ready too install! If the weather holds out, I'll mount the flag base today...getting closer!

Flag_zps7bf9dfcc.jpg

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Gonna be weird seeing you out there without that big outboard on the back!