Century Coronado restore

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice! It is a weird feeling to drill that first hole in the new deck!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Resorter ...wow looks great and you are looking like you are getting real close. Nice to be able to stand on a DECK!

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the pucks PB'ed back in place on the side that I foamed last weekend. All I have now is to foam the other side, glass over the floor for water proofing and paint the transom and bilge. Then I can start thinking of how I'm going to flip the hull so I can start on the outside :confused:. I got a hold of some xylene from work and did the test WOG suggested to determine if the blue was paint or gelcoat.

And the answer is ...................

I assume this means that it is paint although it took a good 15 - 20 short strokes to get the little bit of blue to show on the rag.

Unfortunately, work on the boat will slow considerable over the next month since I am the Dock Master of our 44 member boat club and we are putting the docks in place next Saturday then spending the next several weekends installing new electric to each slip.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm, Xylene is a VERY agressive solvent. If it is indeed paint it's very high quality and very high in solids.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
My plan is to paint (re-paint) all of the blue areas on the boat. With this in mind, will the type of paint currently on the boat make any difference in the way I prep for re-painting?

harleyman1975

Ensign
No it will be a good base and I would not worry about it lifting. Just prep like normal...you should be Golden!

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought I could get the other half of the floor foamed last weekend but I came up a little short on foam so I hope to finish it this weekend. I also hope to get the pucks PB'ed back in and get a layer of glass on the floor which will leave me with just having to paint the transom and bilge before I flip her over to start on the outside. Gelcoat is out since I ended up using epoxy for the entire build so I am looking at using some sort of paint system but I' not sure which will hold up best, especially in the bilge. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Foam is now complete and floor has been waterproofed with 6 oz cloth. I got a primer coat on the most of the bilge this past weekend but ended up running just short so now I have to wait for more primer so that I can finish this weekend before moving onto the actual painting. The pictures make the bilge look like it has been finish painted but in person you can tell it is only a primer coating.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went with the Bilge Kote but since I was covering over epoxy, I had to scrub to remove any blush, sand then apply a coating of Interlux 404/414 Epoxy Primekote (that's what is shown in the pictures). I had used the Bilge Kote about 15 years back to re-paint the bilge of my Supra ski boat and it held up very well.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Looking good! let me know when its all done and you need to sell it to make room for your next project! LOL :)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Harleyman, at the pace I'm going you should have LOTS of time to save your $$$$ before this project gets done LOL.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not that I will be needing it anytime soon, but my new dash board is done so it kinda of feels like progress :nod:. The original panel was plastic with what looks to be engraved lettering and graphics but since I work for a sheet metal fabricator, the new one is a laser cut aluminum panel that is hard coat anodized with silk screened graphics. I was really impressed with our silk screen guy's ability to re-create the Century logo from a picture we found on the internet. Can't wait to get to the point where I can wire it up.

Picture of the old plastic dash

New dash pics

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got the last coat of paint on the bilge so the structural work is officially complete! It's now time to get to work on the cosmetic stuff. I pulled the trailer out from under the boat and my plan is to build some sort of framing around it so that me and a bunch of buddies can roll it over. I figure 5 guys and $100 worth of beer should do the trick (beer drinking after the flip of course).

Completed bilge

I pulled the wobble rollers off of the trailer once I had the boat raised which made it a lot easier to pull it out from under the boat. I plan on converting the trailer to bunks anyway so now I just have to figure out how best to get these out of my way.

Also figured I would take a little time to get the strip pulled off but like everything with boat restoration, it is always a surprise what you find once you crack it open. In this case, it looks like the striping was hiding a couple previous pin strip jobs.

I'm on vacation all of next week and the Admiral has promised me a few quality days to work on the boat so hopefully I'll get the time to build a cradle to get the boat rolled over.