Can Anyone Help Me ID My Ancient Alumacraft?

hornbrod

Cadet
Hi; new member here. What a great forum! I've had this 14' Alumacraft for at least twenty years. I purchased it from an 80 year old man who bought it new. I have always wondered the exact vintage year and model it is. I've not seen another Alumacraft with this transom. As you can see I do not get to use it much :), but it's in great shape and has no leaks. Thanks for your help. Don

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat4.jpg

Last edited:

hornbrod

Cadet
Re: Can Anyone Help Me ID My Ancient Alumacraft?

Well, in reading some of the posts, I looked on the transom brace and it's stamped FD10815 and have emailed Alumacraft to see if I can find it's vintage. Im guessing it's somewhere in the fifties.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats and here!

In time Alumacraft will tell you about your boat. It is a FD model with the Aqueduct transom. Alumacraft was first with this transom and all FD's had it. It's said Alumacraft never had a transom failure with it. It's a very strong boat and you've been good to yours by not altering it.

Here's a pic my 1968 FD and I've been running it 40 years now.

FDleftsidePB.jpg

hornbrod

Cadet

Thanks very much for the reply River Runner. I received a reply already from Alumacraft:

"Thank you for your email. Your boat is a Model FD. According to the serial number it is a 1960 model year. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Dustin Reese
Alumacraft Boat Company
Customer Service Associate"

Unfortunately I am going to sell it as it's too big and heavy for me to get it in and out of the water now that I'm an olde farte.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your boat is about 200 lbs. If you can, keep the boat, even if you get another lighter boat. A person makes a best boat choice decision after time passes, I've been there. Seen and heard many times one regretting selling a boat for another, later. And for other or unforeseen reasons that not considered or understood.

Thanks for sharing the year of your boat. A bracing rib change was made but I don't know when it was, it helps me narrow down the year. Your boat bottom inside bracing ribs run lengthwise. On my boat they are wide and run across.

hornbrod

Cadet

That's a super looking FD you have River Runner. The outboard is maybe 40 HP? Maybe you're right about keeping the boat. I have no idea what it's worth; great shape just needs cleaning up.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I do not get on the computer everyday but thanks and yes, it's a 40 and the boat is rated for 40 hp. It makes the Mississippi river seem smaller.

Like your FD, I consider it a light boat. Here's a pic with my 4 hp on. It's the best fishing motor and it will plane the boat with a light load.

Dcp_143940.jpg

A pic with my 25 hp on. For me, it's the best for all-around use.

Dcp_142340.jpg

And just to remind you how versatile the boat can be, with the low trailer and tilting rear supports I can and do launch without water. Sliding the boat over ground or ice to open water. It's done commercial fishing to water skiing. I also like the two pair of oar locks.

You being a good owner for 20 plus years, I like that your reconsidering on selling. As for the value of your boat it depends on the area or the buyer. A best guess, around $800 minimum and it will not depreciate but it's priceless if it won't be sold.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

hornbrod,

Just to let you know... This is what Alumacraft did with your boat and made it into a true classic runabout.

The Flying D.

FlyingD3E.jpg

FlyingD1.jpg

FlyingD2.jpg

hornbrod

Cadet

hornbrod,

Just to let you know... This is what Alumacraft did with your boat and made it into a true classic runabout.

The Flying D.

Thanks very much for posting those pics R - R, that Flying D is truly georgeous. I had no idea the FD model could be had in that beautiful runabout configuration. In the 20+ years I've had my FD, it's never seen a gas engine. I live on a small lake in N. Alabama and the use of gas engines is restricted. Sure like to slap a 40-50 horse on and see how she goes. I found this 1958 Flying D video on Google. You've probably seen it, but I enjoyed watching it. I have to move to a bigger lake!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7862835095744895143

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I didn't know of the video. But for the missing rear cockpit seating, it's an amazing rig to find and to be had.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for interest, this is some of what I know of the F models.

The F and the later F7 model boats were AlumaCrafts most popular boats and made as 14 footers only. The seats of all early boats were air sealed for flotation. A model F could have an optional front enclosed quarter deck with or without attached remote steering. The F later became the F7. I don't know what the 7 means. F7's are heavier gauge aluminum, very solid, strong standard utility boats, built as tiller steer models only. Styrofoam was used in the seating of F7's and all the newer boats for flotation.

The FD boat..... Started 1954. It is dimensionally close to the F and F7, length and beam. But it is built deeper (D) and stronger and has the aqueduct transom, a braced self draining transom splash tray. AlumaCraft was the first with this and never had a transom failure. Some later 1970's models aqueducts weren't braced, along with other minor boat changes, maybe as rated maximum horsepower was reduced for safety. Rated horsepower varied through the years and was up to 40 hp. A earlier FD boat could be purchased with an optional front enclosed quarter deck, with or without attached remote steering. Later in the 1960's it could have the optional quarter deck or a remote steering console, or both. The design and build of these boats made for powering them to your limitations.

As this pictured 14' FD AlumaCraft with 2 Mercury Mark 55's on the transom, courtesy of vintagealumacraft.

FDwith2MercuryMark55s.jpg

The FDR boat..... F is the model, D is for deep and R is for runabout. The FDR boat is a FD boat made into a runabout, including front enclosed quarter deck, windshield, steering and dash. Seats remain the same, bench style.

The Flying D.... It's dimensionally the FD or the FDR boat. But a dual cockpit boat built to the max. for style and comfort, along with the changed interior and a paint scheme. They are rare and a most beautiful boat.

These F models as others had changes as the production years progressed but remain close to the originals. The boats are narrow with a round (soft) chine, having a good ride and giving great performance. They track solid and corner like an airplane.

As for some model letters. Model E and Model A boats are smaller than F's but Model C's are larger than F's. Go figure. There is much to learn and I don't know all that much, it's hard to find info. If someone can add something, please do, it'll help. Thanks. I just pick up most of it seeing the boats through the years. I do like all the boats but prefer some model years more than others, but that's just me. No other competitors boats were better built.

Other rare dual cockpit boats like the Flying D is the larger Flying C and Super CS, from the model C line of similar but dimensionally larger boats.

A pictured Super CS.

Super_CS.jpg

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

River runner, Thanks for the writeup. I have a simple f7 and always wondered if there was any history behind it. That boat in the video really seems to corner nice. I take it that's the "corners like an airplane" aspect? I've only ran mine with a 10 horse and it doesn't plane out well with too much weight in it unless I'm alone. That 40 horse looks like a 100 on that little boat. I'm putting a tiny floor in mine but I don't want to lose that middle seat so I can row if things go South. I didn't realise the floor had so much "V" to it until I started scribing some stringers to it.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat in the video really seems to corner nice. I take it that's the "corners like an airplane" aspect?

Yes.... and with proper power and speed these boats can make corners that the water is to the gunwale (upper edge of boat's side) or higher while staying dry inside. The cornering is so sharp that a open pail of water inside the boat will not spill and the pail will not move.

I've only ran mine with a 10 horse and it doesn't plane out well with too much weight in it unless I'm alone.

I've run F and F7 boats and I like a 10 hp motor on your boat. I had a 9 1/2 on my boat for two years and wish I would have also kept that motor. There's compromises with different hp. motors on these boats. For a ideal motor size, it depends on how the boat is mostly used.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How cool. I forgot to ask last time but do you have an idea what prop would be right for this f7 and an older Johnson 20hp, same vintage? Moderate load?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have these props and looking at them....

For a 9 1/2 hp. Johnson/Evinrude, the standard 8 1/4 x 8 1/2 prop.

For a 20 hp. Johnson/Evinrude, the standard 9 x 10 prop.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to pick up a 1960s not sure of exact year FD next weekend, got a guy who is willing to part with his for 400 bucks with a decent trailer! I cant wait what a neat old boat! I would say this is going to be my first restro but not much to do to it it just going to be used for fishing. Does anyone know what the load capacity is on FD? Its rated for a 40 HP but i dont know what the laod is. We do some crazy backwater camping in canada and dont want to overload it with gear.

Shizzy

Ensign

just put a trolling motor on it and use it. thats all I did with my 68 FD

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know what the load capacity is on FD? Its rated for a 40 HP but i dont know what the laod is.

The capacity is a properly located max. weight of 865 lbs. for persons, motor and gear.

I shouldn't say this... but that's conservative. I've run the boat a couple of hundred lbs. over (commercial fishing) and it'll easily handle it.

It's great boat for a 14' tinny. It will outlast you.

It was raining yesterday, so took mine out early this morning on the river.
With the cool air and at speed it made my eyes water... what a smooth ride.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet with a 40 you can get that thing airborn huh that would almost seem scary on a boat that weights 183lbs

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey river runner in a few of the pics it looks like your running a long shaft motor? Just dont ahve the boat in hand yet so I am wondering if I am looking to get a long or short shaft